Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NESCAC season 2014-2015

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    Exciting action at Lansing-Chapman Arena in a frigid Williamstown saw Middlebury run their winning streak to 9 in skating to a hard fought 2-1 victory over Williams. The Panthers came out fast in the 1st outshooting the Ephs 10-4 in the period. Cleroux was sharp in goal for Williams and made a nifty blocker save on a Mandigo tip from her gloveside at 3: Middlebury took the lead seconds later with Hlinka in on right wing, making a drop pass for a Fluke one timer from the right circle; the drive handcuffed Cleroux and Young caught the rebound out of mid-air and scored from Cleroux's stickside. The officials conferred briefly before signaling good goal. Panther goalie Jones made a nice stop on Lehman at about 15: when Lehman found space in the slot for an open look. The 2nd saw the Ephs outshoot the Panthers 10-9 despite killing 2 penalties. Cleroux kept things close with another big save on a Wardwell drive from the left point about 13: Williams ran into some bad puck luck at 15:20 when a shot eluded Jones only to appear to carom off the crossbar and deflect out off the stickside post. The Ephs finally broke through to tie things at 7:31 of the 3rd when Beattie made a play holding the blueline and launching a shot from left point on net; Jones made the initial stop but Heller had a quick put back and then Noyes got the score up over a sprawling Jones from top of the crease. The game winner came minutes later with Middlebury skating 6x4. Fluke got a shot off from the right circle; Young had a poke at the loose puck in the ensuing scrum before Winslow rammed it home from Cleroux's stickside. Williams was unable to cash in either of 2 late powerplays. At about 18: after an icing call Eph Coach Gillis called time out and presumably readied to pull her goalie for an extra attacker, but the Panthers were able to prevent Williams controlling the puck and kept play in the Eph end until time ran out. Hard fought game until the final buzzer. A Midd partisan was heard to comment that not all wins feel the same, but it must not have been too bad a bus ride up the Ethan Allen highway going home.
    Quick comment on first Midd goal. Referee on the goal-line waved the goal off immediately signaling high stick. Mandigo instantly launched into a patented tirade on the Midd bench directed at the ref on the Blue Line in front of his bench. That referee immediately over-ruled the referee in the correct position on the goal-line to make the call. Clear case of knowing who signs your paycheck.

This game in general was the worst refereed college game I have seen in several years (both ways). Penalties called that weren't penalties, penalties that weren't called, goal reversals, final goal set up by two back to back questionable calls mid 3rd period. Even the line calls were atrocious - random icing wave-offs, missed offside calls, icing called on a man down situation on the team short a player, face-offs at random spots unrelated to the stoppage cause. The players literally had no idea what any given penalty or line call was going to be - you could see them constantly looking at the referees and linesmen to see what they were going to do. While both teams played hard and well, this game was ultimately decided by a terrible group of officials - a shame they had such an effect on what could have been a good game.
    Last edited by HockeyEast33; 02-18-2015, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      Quick comment on first Midd goal. Referee on the goal-line waved the goal off immediately signaling high stick. Mandigo instantly launched into a patented tirade on the Midd bench directed at the ref on the Blue Line in front of his bench. That referee immediately over-ruled the referee in the correct position on the goal-line to make the call. Clear case of knowing who signs your paycheck.

This game in general was the worst refereed college game I have seen in several years (both ways). Penalties called that weren't penalties, penalties that weren't called, goal reversals, final goal set up by two back to back questionable calls mid 3rd period. Even the line calls were atrocious - random icing wave-offs, missed offside calls, icing called on a man down situation on the team short a player, face-offs at random spots unrelated to the stoppage cause. The players literally had no idea what any given penalty or line call was going to be - you could see them constantly looking at the referees and linesmen to see what they were going to do. While both teams played hard and well, this game was ultimately decided by a terrible group of officials - a shame they had such an effect on what could have been a good game.

Well...welcome to the wonderful world of nescac officiating...Everything you said is 100% accurate, right down to the comments on Mamdigo...He has the refs in his back pocket...they actually look to HIM to help them make calls. Disgraceful. All his yelling, crying and whining for 100 years has certainly paid great dividends for his team. As for penalties and icing/offsides calls....If they were just consistent, I'd be fine with that, but honestly very rarely do you see a well officiated game where what = a penalty in the 1st period is called the same way in the 2nd or 3rd period...icing calls are a total joke...I think they decide whether to waive off the call based on a coin-flip...totally random.

Comment

Per the goal in the Middlebury win at Williams, the ref in front of the Midd bench had a better angle on Young's mid-air catch and shoot and the height of her stick than the ref behind the goal line.
        OMG Coach Mandigo works the refs??? It is probably more notable that a coach doesn't work the refs? Isn't it part of the job? During NESCAC play in 16 games this season Middlebury has 65 penalties and opponents have 73. Hardly a glaring difference. Panther players know there is a right way to play the game and actions exceeding those norms will get you benched (let us remember a certain NESCAC quarter-final). I wish I saw the same discipline of and attitude toward chippy play by all the coaches.
        499 career wins at Middlebury result from the refs being in his back pocket? Please...

Comment

Per the goal in the Middlebury win at Williams, the ref in front of the Midd bench had a better angle on Young's mid-air catch and shoot and the height of her stick than the ref behind the goal line.
          OMG Coach Mandigo works the refs??? It is probably more notable that a coach doesn't work the refs? Isn't it part of the job? During NESCAC play in 16 games this season Middlebury has 65 penalties and opponents have 73. Hardly a glaring difference. Panther players know there is a right way to play the game and actions exceeding those norms will get you benched (let us remember a certain NESCAC quarter-final). I wish I saw the same discipline of and attitude toward chippy play by all the coaches.
          499 career wins at Middlebury result from the refs being in his back pocket? Please...
          I think Mandigo deflated the footballs.

Comment

Standing right on the goal line looking over the shoulder of the ref who made the initial call and saw the high stick perfectly, so you are just wrong on this one.

Who said Mandigo got 499 wins by working the refs? He is a good coach and got his wins (or at least most of them) from good recruiting, team development, and in game adjustments. Most coaches work the refs - Mandigo does it (and always has done it from what I've seen) by yelling and screaming at the refs and, sadly, they listen and react to him for the reason I indicated. I hear that he was actually way worse in the Saturday game at Middlebury (wasn't there).

BTW - most of the NESCAC games I've seen this season (video and in person) were fairly well refereed. This one certainly was not.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with you Obserbear. Not only does the Coach teach his players of the importance of playing clean hockey, he also stresses that the players to not take for granted the sport or the institution for which they play, no matter the school. Last year, at the end of the year, and when wins count so much, Coach Mandigo benched a couple of players for behavioral issues, one on the ice and one off the ice. These are life long lessons that these players will take with them from college, and will make them stronger, as the Coach realizes he can teach the kids not just hockey, but life lessons as well. Also, I agree that Coach Mandigo only works the refs when it is appropriate, as it is part of the game. Any good coach knows when to get on a ref, and when not to. If you constantly ride the refs, it works against you, but in watching all of the stronger D3 teams over the last 10 years, all of the better coaches do the same thing, just like Coach Mandigo. Winningest College Women's Ice Hockey Coach in NCAA history.....he is doing something right!! Congrats Coach

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
                I couldn't agree more with you Obserbear. Not only does the Coach teach his players of the importance of playing clean hockey, he also stresses that the players to not take for granted the sport or the institution for which they play, no matter the school. Last year, at the end of the year, and when wins count so much, Coach Mandigo benched a couple of players for behavioral issues, one on the ice and one off the ice. These are life long lessons that these players will take with them from college, and will make them stronger, as the Coach realizes he can teach the kids not just hockey, but life lessons as well. Also, I agree that Coach Mandigo only works the refs when it is appropriate, as it is part of the game. Any good coach knows when to get on a ref, and when not to. If you constantly ride the refs, it works against you, but in watching all of the stronger D3 teams over the last 10 years, all of the better coaches do the same thing, just like Coach Mandigo. Winningest College Women's Ice Hockey Coach in NCAA history.....he is doing something right!! Congrats Coach

Couple points..."working the refs" is one thing but that's not what he does...he puts his foot on the boards and screams at the top of his lungs like a 2 yr old having a temper tantrum...The refs are intimidated by this man [note that most nescac coaches are women...and I do think that means something when it comes to intimidating refs].

I heard about the benching last year and how that was such a noble thing to do, yada, yada..what a great guy...His actions instill respect and all that. Well...one might ask if it does, then why were these upperclassmen [who had been in the program getting all that discipline over the years]...why did they go off the reservation to the point they needed to be suspended in the first place?...shouldn't they have thought about the team? Then again, why recruit such players in the first place [oh, wait they were good players]...so then those little flaws can be overlooked I guess...in the name of winning perhaps?].

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                  Couple points..."working the refs" is one thing but that's not what he does...he puts his foot on the boards and screams at the top of his lungs like a 2 yr old having a temper tantrum...The refs are intimidated by this man [note that most nescac coaches are women...and I do think that means something when it comes to intimidating refs].

I heard about the benching last year and how that was such a noble thing to do, yada, yada..what a great guy...His actions instill respect and all that. Well...one might ask if it does, then why were these upperclassmen [who had been in the program getting all that discipline over the years]...why did they go off the reservation to the point they needed to be suspended in the first place?...shouldn't they have thought about the team? Then again, why recruit such players in the first place [oh, wait they were good players]...so then those little flaws can be overlooked I guess...in the name of winning perhaps?].
                  Really hard to argue reason with such an angry person. Why don't you go watch synchronized swimming, as this sport seems to be too harsh for a Seinfeld aficionado like yourself.

Comment

I would love to tailgate with you NESCAC parents before & after the game, sounds like it could be a good time to be a fly on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
                      Really hard to argue reason with such an angry person. Why don't you go watch synchronized swimming, as this sport seems to be too harsh for a Seinfeld aficionado like yourself.
                      Angry? LOL....look in the mirror Pluggie...better yet, watch Mandingoo coach a game....when not yelling at/berating the officials, he does a good job yelling at his own players.

Comment

Speaking of games, there are 2 big ones on the ice this evening.
                        http://nescac.com/sports/wice/2014-15/standings
                        Conn College and Trinity are deadlocked at 6-6-2. Conn hosts Williams (5-7-2) for 2 games and Trinity hosts Wesleyan (3-10-1) tonight before traveling down river to conclude their home and home series tomorrow. Wesleyan is currently in 9th place with 7 points and need to overtake Hamilton (3-8-3 for 9 points, playing Colby, 5-9, at home Saturday and Sunday). There are a myriad of scenarios, but it is interesting to note that a Hamilton sweep of Colby coupled with a Conn sweep and an Amherst sweep of their 2 games with Bowdoin (5-6-3) would move the Continentals into 5th place (Hamilton holds the tie breaker with the Polar Bears).
                        Anyway, tonight I like the Camels and Bantams at home. Any one have any thoughts on the games this weekend?
                        Last edited by obserbear; 02-20-2015, 01:40 PM. Reason: Mules

Comment

Speaking of games, there are 2 big ones on the ice this evening.
                          http://nescac.com/sports/wice/2014-15/standings
                          Conn College and Trinity are deadlocked at 6-6-2. Conn hosts Williams (5-7-2) for 2 games and Trinity hosts Wesleyan (3-10-1) tonight before traveling down river to conclude their home and home series tomorrow. Wesleyan is currently in 9th place with 7 points and need to overtake Hamilton (3-8-3 for 9 points, playing Colby at home Saturday and Sunday). There are a myriad of scenarios, but it is interesting to note that a Hamilton sweep of Colby coupled with a Conn sweep and an Amherst sweep of their 2 games with Bowdoin (5-6-3) would move the Continentals into 5th place (Hamilton holds the tie breaker with the Polar Bears).
                          Anyway, tonight I like the Camels and Bantams at home. Any one have any thoughts on the games this weekend?
                          I see Conn taking 3 of 4 points, same with Amherst
                          I see a split in the Hammy / Colby series, and same with Trinity / Wesleyan

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post

Have to agree with Plugger, you sound very angry and unreasonable. My heart's with the Cadets so by no means am I a Middlebury fan. However Mandigo's success is undeniable. Getting quality players past admissions at Middlebury is not an easy task. So with recruiting being as difficult as it is for him, he must have a knack for Coaching up players that may otherwise not have been as successful. No doubt he works the refs, but so doesn't Bolding. You really sound foolish when you try to insinuate that he doesn't consider character when recruiting because some established upperclassmen were disciplined last year. Ya I can't believe it, a couple 19 to 21 year olds made some bad decisions.

Comment

Williams 1 Conn 0 end of 1 at Dayton. Ephs played a solid 1st

Comment

Ephs 2 CC 0 pp goal after boarding in offensive zone Lehman from glove side redirect Burke shot

Comment

Working...
                                X