Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

How did Bartell look, I see he got a goal and a penalty in his first game Saturday !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      How did Bartell look, I see he got a goal and a penalty in his first game Saturday !
      Bartell played pretty well for it being his first game. I also base this on the fact that I don't remember using his name in vain at any time during the game.

Comment

Now I remember this kid from local HS hockey; he was the best player on some very good recent RFA teams.

Kinda surprised that he cracked the line-up, though. Even at the D-3 level, very few guys seem to bypass the Juniors or a prep school at the very least. (He looked OK out there, though, and I'm rooting for him.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Now I remember this kid from local HS hockey; he was the best player on some very good recent RFA teams.

Kinda surprised that he cracked the line-up, though. Even at the D-3 level, very few guys seem to bypass the Juniors or a prep school at the very least. (He looked OK out there, though, and I'm rooting for him.)
          He went to Northwood prep and played for the Walpole Express last year.(EHL)
          Last edited by sshablak; 12-04-2014, 07:17 AM.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Frozen Dome Replay - this time for real 7pm TONIGHT (Thursday) www.wtop10.com click on the LIVE link on the homepage
            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              He went to Northwood prep and played for the Walpole Express last year.(EHL)
              Thanks, forgot that he left RFA early... (Hell, I have forgotten what I had for breakfast, come to think of it.)

So Trinity has some very impressive numbers in terms of GPG and save %. It's hard to gauge the quality of their competition from here, but a prospective UC win tomorrow stands to look pretty good down the road. The gimmicky TBT is a momentum-assassin, but at least it guarantees a big crowd, even if many of them leave right after they hurl the toys.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-04-2014, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I took my teddy bear out into the Aud parking lot, where it was burned in effigy.

Kidding!
                What a letdown though, what the hell was Gary thinking? The Teddy Bear Toss is always on a Saturday. Why schedule it against the Cocks Bantams from Trinity on Friday?
                This young man has had a very trying rookie season, what with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well... I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                  I took my teddy bear out into the Aud parking lot, where it was burned in effigy.

Kidding! What a letdown though, what the hell was Gary thinking? The Teddy Bear Toss is always on a Saturday. Why schedule it against the Cocks Bantams from Trinity on Friday?
                  So no new Smokey to help prevent forest fires
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

First Home shutout since Feb 10, 2012.
                    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

What a game!

Trinity is a veteran team with speed, hands and depth. Based on a very small sample-size, I thought they looked even better and deeper than Oswego.( And Heilbron showed why his season save% is north of .940... Did he EVER lose sight of the puck, even once?)

UC was a bit on it's heels early, but staged a tremendous push-back in the late-2nd and the 3rd. Three Grade-A's while killing the major was something to see. The game easily could have gone either way yet again, but it didn't. Utica missed a couple of open nets, hit a post, etc., and, as mentioned, Heilbron was brilliant.

Still, a great game to watch. Wells was really sharp and the guys in front of him played balls-out once they got into the flow. I'm not much into the concepts of "good losses" or "moral victories", but I wouldn't be surprised if UC actually took some momentum away from this game. Guess we'll see tonight.

And as far as the TBT..? What a fiasco. Would not be shocked if the W steps in and puts an end to it. I don't grasp why anyone thinks it's a good idea to allow people to throw s### on the ice under any circumstances, and last night illustrated that one just can't assume that 3,000 people with a license to do so are necessarily going to wait for the proscribed moment to let fly. I say collect them at the door or just wait for the game to be over.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-06-2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        What a game!

Trinity is a veteran team with speed, hands and depth. Based on a very small sample-size, I thought they looked even better and deeper than Oswego.( And Heilbron showed why his season save% is north of .940... Did he EVER lose sight of the puck, even once?)

UC was a bit on it's heels early, but staged a tremendous push-back in the late-2nd and the 3rd. Three Grade-A's while killing the major was something to see. The game easily could have gone either way yet again, but it didn't. Utica missed a couple of open nets, hit a post, etc., and, as mentioned, Heilbron was brilliant.

Still, a great game to watch. Wells was really sharp and the guys in front of him played balls-out once they got into the flow. I'm not much into the concepts of "good losses" or "moral victories", but I wouldn't be surprised if UC actually took some momentum away from this game. Guess we'll see tonight.

And as far as the TBT..? What a fiasco. Would not be shocked if the W steps in and puts an end to it. I don't grasp why anyone thinks it's a good idea to allow people to throw s### on the ice under any circumstances, and last night illustrated that one just can't assume that 3,000 people with a license to do so are necessarily going to wait for the proscribed moment to let fly. I say collect them at the door or just wait for the game to be over.
                        Excellent game. Trinity's defensive scheme was textbook; stood UC up at the blueline, drove UC rushes towards the boards, and Heilbron stonewalled anything that got close. Pressure of the TBT was evident; sloppy passes, fanned shots, the players were obviously pressing to get the TB goal out of the way and on to the game but it wasn't meant to be.

Comment

Saved by the bell

Note Morrisville took 5 for 21 and Utica 4 for 8, both teams each scored 1 PPG.
                          Last edited by norm1909; 12-12-2014, 06:20 AM.
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

OK, at .500 at the break... Not exactly what I'd hoped-for, but the ship seems to have been righted now, after enduring some sub-par goal-tending in the early going. (Speaking of, Wells has proven himself to be the clear #1 IMO, even if he got a brief case of the yips tonight after being victimized by that bad-bounce on a 3 on 1 early in the 3rd.)

The forwards continue to fly, and the D hasn't made me groan aloud all year long, which is a stunning development in recent years. And all that considering that Morrisville played a good game.

Call me Pollyanna, but I won't be shocked to see this team continue on their run, and maybe even garner home-ice in the W playoffs. From there, who knows what can happen. The very talented Freshman class is growing-up right before our eyes.

We're going to Plattsburgh for the NY's tourney if the weather doesn't preclude that trip. I'm not predicting anything there, but a couple of wins -if that happens- will turn this entire season around. I'm certainly not ruling-out that possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                              Saved by the bell

Note Morrisville took 5 for 21 and Utica 4 for 8, both teams each scored 1 PPG.
                              There's something about a Matthew BEER scoring a goal in the Aud that just seems to make life better...
                              Last edited by Ozz; 12-12-2014, 08:50 AM.
                              Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                              2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                                There's something about a Matthew BEER scoring a goal in the Aud that just seems to make like better...
                                +1 LOL!!

They had to be counting the minutes once the Beer run started, adding an assist too.
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X