Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D1 Transfers for 2014-15

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
    I really don't think Potter would be the replacement at UMD.
    hey, I was just throwing a bone to those having a Potter love fest in the SCSU thread,

Comment

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
      Little bit of both...

Kolls was technically a senior as she didn't redshirt her junior year so she's not returning.
      There's been issues with Carlstrom but I think this was a mutual parting of ways.
      Delarbre heads to D3 Merrimack.
      Del Basso will return to Australia.
      Bramm going out east somewhere... or so I've heard.
      Krause transferring to Northeastern.

Yes, a lot of players are leaving but I would consider them "on the bubble" players anyway. With a very talented group of 9 new players coming in and the return of Gillanders and Lacquette, I don't think this program is taking these losses very hard.
      Merrimack is not a D3 program. They are currently a club program, but will be joining D1 Hockey East in 2015-2016. I expect to see more transfers there in the next year or so as they get closer to D1 status and acquire disgruntled players from other programs. They are quietly buiding their incoming Freshmen list for this year and next but seem to realize they will need some upper class transfers to round out the team and be more competitive. Using more transfers will also allow them to avoid/control better the situation unfolding at Penn State where they have to cut 6 players every year for the first 2-3 years because they filled the team with all freshmen....

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        Merrimack is not a D3 program. They are currently a club program, but will be joining D1 Hockey East in 2015-2016. I expect to see more transfers there in the next year or so as they get closer to D1 status and acquire disgruntled players from other programs. They are quietly buiding their incoming Freshmen list for this year and next but seem to realize they will need some upper class transfers to round out the team and be more competitive. Using more transfers will also allow them to avoid/control better the situation unfolding at Penn State where they have to cut 6 players every year for the first 2-3 years because they filled the team with all freshmen....
        Is Merrimack really looking for transfers with 0 goals & 2 assists in 36 games played? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
          Is Merrimack really looking for transfers with 0 goals & 2 assists in 36 games played? Why?
          I would think a UMD 4th line player is fairly certain to crack Merrimack's top 3 lines in 2015-2016.

Comment

On the bubble?

I thought "fringe player" was the UMD term of precedence?
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              On the bubble?

As a Minnesotan, you know very well how Duluthians brains work:
              1) Lie to themselves until they believe their own BS.
              2) Lie to each other to confirm that BS.
              3) Lie to the "outside world", meaning anyone outside of their clan.

I'm sure it took him a little while longer than usual to convince himself that Krause was a "bubble" player. But he did it anyway. And then he can say it with a straight face to those of us outside his clan.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                On the bubble?

In UMD parlance, "fringe player" has additional meaning compared to other schools:

At most schools a fringe player is one who is only on the roster in case of:
                1) mass injuries
                2) mass penalties/game DQ
                3) a lopsided game they are losing so the coach can discipline the star players by their substitution
                4) a lopsided game they are winning to spare star players the chance of injury
                5) as fodder for the rest of the team during practice sessions
                6) someone to prop up the team GPA and graduation rate

but at UMD it also includes
                5) a player needed in case another player is disqualified by the NCAA because they have been discovered to be inelligible to play
                6) the need for a player(s) while a foreign player(s) who cannot yet join the team because their elligibility has not yet been approved by the NCAA, or whose elligibilty is highly questionable.
                7) token Minnesotan added to roster to satisfy the locals

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                  If the player had 0 goals and 2 assists in 36 games because she was on the 4th line and got no minutes, then she would be attractive to Merrimack because she would certainly be a top 3 line forward and get more playing time and likely be more productive there. Regardless of the reason, a seasoned D1 player that dressed for 36 WCHA games would be a benefit to ANY startup D1 program amongst a group of largely inexperienced freshman/sophomores who have never played at that level previously. And as noted, she will only be there 2 D1 years and open up a scholarship upon graduating prior to any of the incoming freshman/sophomores opening up a scholarship spot. Double bonus for Merrimack.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    but at UMD it also includes
                    5) a player needed in case another player is disqualified by the NCAA because they have been discovered to be inelligible to play
                    6) the need for a player(s) while a foreign player(s) who cannot yet join the team because their elligibility has not yet been approved by the NCAA, or whose elligibilty is highly questionable.
                    7) token Minnesotan added to roster to satisfy the locals
                    I will say this, you are an equal opportunity troller.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      I will say this, you are an equal opportunity troller.
                      I need an expert opinion: Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        Anybody object if I start a poll of when and how Miller & UMD part company?

the upside of Potter not getting the SCSU job is she'd be a likely replacement at UMD IMO
                        No disrespect to Potter but she is not a coach. She was a great player but her reputation as a coach with many of the girls who have had experiences with her is not good. And she has no personality. Miller, albeit intense has earned a place as one of the best coaches in the country. No one else can claim five championships building a program from scratch. Anyone can coach the Gophers so I don't consider Frost as the best coach this year. It's easy to give all the accolades to the best team on paper but really it's not that hard to coach when you have all that talent. . What Nate did as the Ohio State coach was much more impressive this year constantly improving his team. He would've had my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                          No disrespect to Potter but she is not a coach. She was a great player but her reputation as a coach with many of the girls who have had experiences with her is not good. And she has no personality. Miller, albeit intense has earned a place as one of the best coaches in the country. No one else can claim five championships building a program from scratch. Anyone can coach the Gophers so I don't consider Frost as the best coach this year. It's easy to give all the accolades to the best team on paper but really it's not that hard to coach when you have all that talent. . What Nate did as the Ohio State coach was much more impressive this year constantly improving his team. He would've had my vote.

I agree. You know your hockey and the people involved.

Comment

Millers championship teams were loaded with talent.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

What Nate did as the Ohio State coach was much more impressive this year constantly improving his team.
                              Ohio State improved in large part because it was so dreadful in November that it would have been hard to remain that bad. For the season, the Buckeyes finished fifth, as many expected they would, didn't advance out of the first round, and regressed in total wins. For a coach of a non-winning team to receive recognition, that team needs to at least demonstrate some improvement over the previous season. Wisconsin was the most-improved WCHA team despite graduating a former Kaz winner, so I'd vote for Johnson before Handrahan.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                I need an expert opinion: Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
                                Yes
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X