WCHA predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA predictions

If Tech gets Birks, Hannoun, L'Esperance, Anderson, and Gillies all in the fold for 2014-15, they will be competing for the top spot in the WCHA this year. So far, we have only lost Copley early, our seniors will be the most impressive class in years led by Pietila, Johnstone, and Kero.

Who are the preseason favorites going into next year?

Re: WCHA predictions

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    If Tech gets Birks, Hannoun, L'Esperance, Anderson, and Gillies all in the fold for 2014-15, they will be competing for the top spot in the WCHA this year. So far, we have only lost Copley early, our seniors will be the most impressive class in years led by Pietila, Johnstone, and Kero.

Don't forget Blacklock....even after his injury, his points per game was still in the top 10 in the BC along with Gilllies and Anderson. I'm not sure if Hannoun won't take another year in the BC, but I see Gillies, Blacklock, Anderson and L'Esperance as the big gets for this year. Easily the most offensively gifted recruiting class in a decade....even moreso that the Petan/Khaira class. Tech's D is going to be strong as well, although I'm not as high on Birks as some. Tech's only question mark will be goaltending. Phillips is a very good goalie, but he'll need to be better than he's been if Tech wants to break the top 3. I see Tech as number 1 or 2 in the WCHA this year. I think Ferris will be tough once again and I see BGSU being tough again along with Mankato and the Alaskas. I think LSSU, NMU, UAH and Bemidji will fight to break into the middle tier.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      The favorites have to be the only two teams that finished substantially higher than .500 in league play and made it to the championship last year. It was 2 teams and the other 8 last year. Until that gap closes, no one can make a reasonable claim that they will jump out of the middle of the pack into first or second. I'm not saying it won't happen, but at this point it's just talk without substance.

Comment

BG rolls along to win the conference,
        Ferris Bueller takes a day off in the Final Five championship game to finish second,
        Minnie State's forwards all routinely check from behind, get banned like Pink Pony, causing the team to fall and finish 3rd,
        the Techies realize they attend an all-male school, meaning there aren't any girls on their campus to impress, and lose motivation to slip to 4th,
        the Wildcats have the opposite problem, and are too distracted to concentrate on hockey, finishing 5th
        Russia takes over Alaska like Ukraine, bringing Fairbanks and Anchorage into the Russian leagues to bring up their win total enough to finish in a tie for 6th,
        Alabama Crimson Tide football has enough wins to spare, and shares them with their little sisters in Huntsville to bring the Chargers into 8th,
        the Bemidji Woodchucks just kinda suck and finish 9th,
        Lake Inferior does worse than the Edmund Fitzgerald and sinks to finish last.

That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it.
        BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

1- Mankato
          2- Bowling Green
          3- Ferris State
          4-Alaska Anchorage
          5-Michigan Tech
          6-Alaska
          7-Bemidji
          8-NMU
          9-LSSU
          10-UAH

That's what I predict, but I'm sure I'll be WAAAY off.
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
            The favorites have to be the only two teams that finished substantially higher than .500 in league play and made it to the championship last year. It was 2 teams and the other 8 last year. Until that gap closes, no one can make a reasonable claim that they will jump out of the middle of the pack into first or second. I'm not saying it won't happen, but at this point it's just talk without substance.
            ^^^^^
            This.

hell, we don't even know for sure what the rosters will look like yet. looks like the Falcons signed a D-man just today, and he wasn't previously even on lists of verbal commits.

Hockey Commitments ‏@hockeycommits 8h
            Philippe Bureau-Blais (Andre-Laurendeau Collegial) has signed a letter of intent with Bowling Green University for 2014-2015
            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

I figure that UAH will be 9th or 10th this year, and that Lake will have the alternate spot. That's a lot of goal differential to make up in one year for my alma mater.

I'd nod to Mankato 1, FSU 2.

I think that the two Alaska schools will slide a little bit this year, and BG and Tech will be 3/4. Of course, UAA could well be 6th again. That leaves Northern and Bemidji, and I just don't think that they're going to make any rapid improvement.

I really hope that it's not a 2-7-1 league again this year.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

1 Tech
                2 Minny State
                3 BGSU
                4 Ferris
                5 UAA
                6 Alaska
                7 LSSU
                8 NMU
                9 BSU
                10 UAH

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  I really hope that it's not a 2-7-1 league again this year.
                  Don't worry. It'll be a 1-9 league- BG and the rest!

But in all seriousness, absolutely. This needs to be a more competitive conference. Theoretically, having 7 teams that can either have home ice in the first round or miss entirely with 4 games left in the season would be appealing, but in reality, it's not. To me, lots of those games were lop-sided wins by the teams on hot streaks, rather that good, competitive games by similarly-matched teams. Mid-season I thought that beating Lake State would be crucial for us getting home ice in the playoffs, but that didn't even come close to becoming reality. Within the next year or two I'd like to see us, Tech, and the Alaskas able to challenge Ferris and Mankato for the top 2 spots. Until then, Ferris and Mankato will sit alone. I think even more important though is UAH becoming a team to be taken seriously. Having a 2-3 win cupcake team isn't good for anybody, even as an easy win on the schedule. Only the die-hard fans will want to watch a game that's virtually guaranteed to end in a 5-1 blowout. Even a 10 win UAH team can still be an "easy" win for the top tier of the conference, though as we found out (the hard way) last December, nothing's guaranteed.
                  BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

1. UAA
                    2. Mankato
                    3. Tech
                    4. Bemidji
                    5-8 CCHA
                    9. UAH
                    10. LSSU

Comment

1 Mankato
                      2 BGSU
                      3 MTU
                      4 LSSU
                      5 FSSU
                      6 UAA
                      7 Alaska
                      8 Bemdji
                      9 UAH
                      10 NMU

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                        1 Mankato
                        2 BGSU
                        3 MTU
                        4 LSSU
                        5 FSSU
                        6 UAA
                        7 Alaska
                        8 Bemdji
                        9 UAH
                        10 NMU
                        I disagree; there's no way FSSU finishes above 7th this year.
                        BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

1. Ferris
                          2. Mankato
                          3. BGSU
                          4. UAA
                          5. Tech
                          6. NMU
                          7. LSSU
                          8. Alaska
                          9. Bemidji
                          10. UAH
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

The most improved will be the WCHA twitter account. With new leadership it can only go up. Literally it can only go up. The account couldn't be worse.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              The most improved will be the WCHA twitter account. With new leadership it can only go up. Literally it can only go up. The account couldn't be worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X