PDA

View Full Version : UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

BBDiehard14
07-13-2014, 03:45 PM
I think it depends on the circumstances. If Lomberg was unprovoked he should be kicked off the team, but if the other kid did something to the mutual friend's dog or swung at Lomberg first it is a completely different situation. In either case, the kid should have handled it differently, don't go running to the cops like a little *****. That never was how things were handled when I was living in Maine.

Bingo. I think the victim is at fault in this situation. He instigated the fight, and he went to the cops like a little girl. And I hate to say it, but college kids drink. You can't just tell your players "no booze, no girls," et al. Coaches can't control what their players do off the field/ice. If that was the case, then Johnny Football wouldn't be in Vegas every weekend with 10 girls.

ck1969
07-14-2014, 08:39 AM
I think it depends on the circumstances. If Lomberg was unprovoked he should be kicked off the team, but if the other kid did something to the mutual friend's dog or swung at Lomberg first it is a completely different situation. In either case, the kid should have handled it differently, don't go running to the cops like a little *****. That never was how things were handled when I was living in Maine.

I'm sure it wasn't an unprovoked thing. Nobody just starts swinging on someone for no reason unless you're a psychopath. This is another example of our uber PC society. This stuff has gone on forever and it's not a big deal!! As has been said, 15, 20 years ago you never would of heard of this incident. I can think of 3 examples...that I witnessed when I was at Maine, where hockey players kicked the crap out of some guys. Nobody went crying to the admn or cops. It was a fight. Someone won, someone lost. They dusted themselves off and moved on. As far as I know innocent until proven guilty is still the law and I don't think he should be banned or suspended from anything until it is proven he did something wrong esp for something like getting into a fight. I'm sick of everyone and everything being tried and judged thru social media and the regular media. Ugh.

Maine Hockey Fan
07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Less than 3 months until Men's Hockey Tournament in Alaska. Looking forward to a attending. Hope there are a few Maine Fans out there with me.. Should be a fund time..

BBDiehard14
07-14-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm sure it wasn't an unprovoked thing. Nobody just starts swinging on someone for no reason unless you're a psychopath. This is another example of our uber PC society. This stuff has gone on forever and it's not a big deal!! As has been said, 15, 20 years ago you never would of heard of this incident. I can think of 3 examples...that I witnessed when I was at Maine, where hockey players kicked the crap out of some guys. Nobody went crying to the admn or cops. It was a fight. Someone won, someone lost. They dusted themselves off and moved on. As far as I know innocent until proven guilty is still the law and I don't think he should be banned or suspended from anything until it is proven he did something wrong esp for something like getting into a fight. I'm sick of everyone and everything being tried and judged thru social media and the regular media. Ugh.

It's called the wussification of America. I still don't think Lomberg should be kicked off the team. Think of the production offensively we'd be losing......

Drew S.
07-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Very well said.

Has anyone spent any time with the new AD? Impressions? Do you have a feel for which way he wants to go with this situation?

AMC
07-14-2014, 03:10 PM

Are you kidding me? "Political correctness" is not why you are NOT ALLOWED TO KICK A PRONE INDIVIDUAL REPEATEDLY IN THE HEAD. "Uber PC society." Jesus Christ.

The kid went to EMMC with a concussion and broken nose! What is he supposed to say when he got there? "Uh, I fell." The police have said that there is no way to construe that Lomberg was defending himself.

But really, let's let the hockey players just wander around Old Town/Orono like it's their personal fiefdom, kicking the **** out of whoever displeases them in the slightest. It would be too PC to allow them to do otherwise.

blackbearbandie
07-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Are you kidding me? "Political correctness" is not why you are NOT ALLOWED TO KICK A PRONE INDIVIDUAL REPEATEDLY IN THE HEAD. "Uber PC society." Jesus Christ.

The kid went to EMMC with a concussion and broken nose! What is he supposed to say when he got there? "Uh, I fell." The police have said that there is no way to construe that Lomberg was defending himself.

But really, let's let the hockey players just wander around Old Town/Orono like it's their personal fiefdom, kicking the **** out of whoever displeases them in the slightest. It would be too PC to allow them to do otherwise.

I think today it's difficult to gauge what the consequences, if proven guilty, should be because it seems with zero-tolerance we also are quick not to forgive someone and quicker yet to discard them without allowing room for personal growth in one of life's many lessons that all of us could get something out of, but the trend seems to be more and more to just discard someone even though those same actions were once addressed and corrected differently not too long ago in an age of an entirely different form of political correctness.

UncleRay
07-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Less than 3 months until Men's Hockey Tournament in Alaska. Looking forward to a attending. Hope there are a few Maine Fans out there with me.. Should be a fund time..Yes, funds for the flights, funds for the hotel, funds for the tickets, funds for the meals, funds for the booze,..... ;)

walrus
07-14-2014, 06:15 PM
It appears Ryan is gone to the USHL. He isn't on UMaines roster which was just put up on the Goblackbears page and folks are tweeting its a done deal. What shame, he was good player who was fun to watch but with all the attention to athletes one can't screw up and expect it to go unnoticed. Good luck to Ryan

Priceless
07-14-2014, 06:17 PM
The roster came out today and Ryan Lomberg isn't on it. Subsequently, Jeff Cox reported that there are several sources in the USHL and inside UM who say Lomberg is already gone. Given the timing, it appears Lomberg made the decision that he wasn't going to wait around in Limbo until the school decided.

The 2014-15 roster.
http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-hockey/2014-15/roster

walrus
07-14-2014, 08:16 PM
I guess Lee Goldberg Channel 6 in portland is reporting it now

blackbearbandie
07-14-2014, 08:24 PM
I guess Lee Goldberg Channel 6 in portland is reporting it now

http://www.wlbz2.com/story/sports/2014/07/14/umaine-mens-ice-hockey-adds-seven-players/12648173/

Priceless
07-14-2014, 09:44 PM
And then this was posted on Facebook:

Nathan Fournier communicated w/ Ryan Lomberg again this evening about reports of his departure from Maine. He said there is no change. Still believes he's a Black Bear. (I'm not sure whether he is leaving or not. He can't say a lot because he's dealing with the courts, but I get the sense he still is hoping things will work out.)
Nathan is a reporter for Maine Hockey Journal.

umhockey91
07-14-2014, 09:45 PM

Amen! A couple of posters on here sound like total pr*cks.

BlackI
07-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Well, it doesn't smell good. Like you just got in your truck and went 5 miles wondering what the doggy s*** smell is, only to find you got it all in the treads and on the floor boards.

Big hole for the next two seasons. Hopefully one or more of the following players are working harder to make up the gap... Merchant, Campbell, Cerratani.

ck1969
07-15-2014, 09:06 AM

First of all you know d a m n well that's not what I'm implying. I don't condone fighting and I certainly don't ever want to see anyone get hurt. My point is that every little thing in todays society (whether you view this as a little thing or not is irrelevant to my point) is analyzed, scrutinized and talked about to death. People are tried and convicted in the media and one's reputation is lost even if proven innocent. Every word out of anyone's mouth offends somebody. The list goes on. Basically Lomberg's career was ended at Maine for an accusation of getting into a fight. HE HASN'T BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF ANYTHING. Yet, people like you seem to know exactly what transpired and have already rendered your own verdict. If you were there and witnessed it, then my apologies. I guessing you weren't.

AMC
07-15-2014, 09:52 AM
First of all you know d a m n well that's not what I'm implying. I don't condone fighting and I certainly don't ever want to see anyone get hurt. My point is that every little thing in todays society (whether you view this as a little thing or not is irrelevant to my point) is analyzed, scrutinized and talked about to death. People are tried and convicted in the media and one's reputation is lost even if proven innocent. Every word out of anyone's mouth offends somebody. The list goes on. Basically Lomberg's career was ended at Maine for an accusation of getting into a fight. HE HASN'T BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF ANYTHING. Yet, people like you seem to know exactly what transpired and have already rendered your own verdict. If you were there and witnessed it, then my apologies. I guessing you weren't.

You are right, you weren't implying it at all. YOU OUTRIGHT SAID IT.

This stuff has gone on forever and it's not a big deal!! As has been said, 15, 20 years ago you never would of heard of this incident. I can think of 3 examples...that I witnessed when I was at Maine, where hockey players kicked the crap out of some guys. Nobody went crying to the admn or cops.

You also jumped to conclusions with what happened:

I'm sure it wasn't an unprovoked thing. Nobody just starts swinging on someone for no reason unless you're a psychopath.

The only conclusions I jumped to were the ones from the police report. And, really, the only one I need is that the kid went to EMMC with a broken nose and concussion. I'm all for letting the judicial process play itself out, but I am also all for letting Lomberg cool his jets off the team until it does. He can do his own dryland training. If it turns out he's not guilty, come back with a fresh slate. But until then, he doesn't need to be representing the University.

BBDiehard14
07-15-2014, 09:59 AM

CK is right on the money. Why do you think guys like Gronk and Johnny Football get criticized every time they're seen with hot chicks outside of strip clubs? Last I checked they were adults and can do whatever they want off the field, even if that includes getting drunk and going to strip clubs. But ESPN is turning into TMZ :(

umhockey91
07-15-2014, 10:48 AM
So physical assaults are now being equated to attending strip clubs????

Only in America...........

P.S. - And who the hell is "Johnny Football"?.......must be some Chestnut Hill reject.:cool:

umhockey91
07-15-2014, 10:53 AM
I really think that people like you need to be falsly accused of a felony and have the fictitious police report printed in the BDN... let the courts sort it out and then see what public perception is after you are found not guilty. THE BDN will NEVER recant. (What do you have to worry about, you didn't do anything?)

He's not dumb enough to break someone's nose or give them a concussion so that little scenario is a moot point.

Why can't people accept that not everyone is a "good" person? It's like when they interview family, friends, and neighbors of murderers........."he was such a good person".......never would have thought he could do anything like that"........"blah blah blah"........

Unless it was self defense........there is NO excuse for what Lomberg is accused of doing to that person. This isn't the Wild West........duels to the death are no longer permitted.