PDA

View Full Version : UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46

Drew S.
10-17-2014, 10:33 PM
My god Maine looks anemic on offense......just very little skill, puck handling ability and speed. Yikes.

Did they all start using a new brand of stick or something? It seems like to a man they are all awful at handling the puck and passing this year.

BBDiehard14
10-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Did they all start using a new brand of stick or something? It seems like to a man they are all awful at handling the puck and passing this year.

Pretty anemic showing

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
10-17-2014, 11:35 PM
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/10/17/6997113/union-3-maine-0-mike-vecchione-colin-stevens-spencer-foo-matt-wilkins-ecac-hockey-east

Game story with quotes from Gendron, Bennett, Vecchione, Stevens.

walrus
10-18-2014, 12:25 AM
A significant majority of the time the puck goes in the opposing teams direction, doesn't matter who gets there first. It been like that for years and last night was another example. Talent, skill, strength, will, not sure what it is, but anyone can see it.

all bear
10-18-2014, 05:51 AM
Union is no doubt an old and experienced team that is very disciplined in their systems. And with an excellent goalie. After watching that game , in order for Maine to compete at that level, they will need to keep hitting the recruiting trails hard. There's just a talent lack there still that will need to be addressed to compete against such a disciplined team. I really like Red's first class of Musil, Hayes, Pecararo and Hamilton...luke warm on Vesey so far. But it will take 2 more classes like this to get us back to where we want to be. As for the rest of the NCAA teams this year, I fear y'all are just playing for second place and we might just see a back to back NC at Union.:eek: They have no glaring weaknesses I could see.

Almost forgot... completely agree on the bad bad call on Hayes hit. If we want to make hockey a non contact sport, then make it so. But phercrissakes it was a legit hit, maybe a boarding call at most but certainly not a 5 minute major.... probably the sound of it scared the chit out of the ref, who knows, and the Union guy played it up pretty well. But it was shoulder to shoulder. Lets face it though, Hayes is going to annihilate a lot of players in his years at Maine and the refs better get used to the sound and sight of it.

all bear
10-18-2014, 06:07 AM
A significant majority of the time the puck goes in the opposing teams direction, doesn't matter who gets there first. It been like that for years and last night was another example. Talent, skill, strength, will, not sure what it is, but anyone can see it.

Personally I think much of the puck possession skill along the boards was lost when Grant stepped away... and much of the teaching of puck support and short crisp passing in open ice was lost with Walsh. And general skill level has been down, but hopefully is being turned around.

walrus
10-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Union is no doubt an old and experienced team that is very disciplined in their systems. And with an excellent goalie. After watching that game , in order for Maine to compete at that level, they will need to keep hitting the recruiting trails hard. There's just a talent lack there still that will need to be addressed to compete against such a disciplined team. I really like Red's first class of Musil, Hayes, Pecararo and Hamilton...luke warm on Vesey so far. But it will take 2 more classes like this to get us back to where we want to be. As for the rest of the NCAA teams this year, I fear y'all are just playing for second place and we might just see a back to back NC at Union.:eek: They have no glaring weaknesses I could see.

Almost forgot... completely agree on the bad bad call on Hayes hit. If we want to make hockey a non contact sport, then make it so. But phercrissakes it was a legit hit, maybe a boarding call at most but certainly not a 5 minute major.... probably the sound of it scared the chit out of the ref, who knows, and the Union guy played it up pretty well. But it was shoulder to shoulder. Lets face it though, Hayes is going to annihilate a lot of players in his years at Maine and the refs better get used to the sound and sight of it.

I thought Musil was lost last night, he couldn't compete on the boards from what I saw. Vesey looked great against UNB not so much last night. Reds comments after game included saying some forwards didn't play well so I assume some guys will see bench tonight. I'm quite sure lines will get shifted around some. I was on other end of ice but Hayes hit could be heard quite well and refs hand went up after Union guy looked hurt.

all bear
10-18-2014, 07:38 AM
I thought Musil was lost last night, he couldn't compete on the boards from what I saw. Vesey looked great against UNB not so much last night. Reds comments after game included saying some forwards didn't play well so I assume some guys will see bench tonight. I'm quite sure lines will get shifted around some. I was on other end of ice but Hayes hit could be heard quite well and refs hand went up after Union guy looked hurt.
That's the thing right there. If the refs are going to call every hit where someone gets hurt or appears might be hurt, this games got a major flaw. People do get hurt in all sports especially contact sports. Let's not ruin the game by over-reacting to all bone crushing hits. If someone gets wiped out completely in center ice on a clean hit is it going to be called because it was too hard of a hit ?

umhockey91
10-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Great post. I agree that Union looks like NC material.

walrus
10-18-2014, 08:04 AM
That's the thing right there. If the refs are going to call every hit where someone gets hurt or appears might be hurt, this games got a major flaw. People do get hurt in all sports especially contact sports. Let's not ruin the game by over-reacting to all bone crushing hits. If someone gets wiped out completely in center ice on a clean hit is it going to be called because it was too hard of a hit ?
Think Mike Grier from BU, all he had to do is look at someone and he got called. Hayes will be the same way.

TERRIERFANinLA
10-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Think Mike Grier from BU, all he had to do is look at someone and he got called. Hayes will be the same way.

Bill Jones was a linesman forever in hockey east (probably the best ever) and did a few national championship games ... he also worked a lot with Cole and Taylor if y'all remember that pair.... anyhow

I remember asking Jonesy how calls were made against Mike Grier because EVERYTHING hid did met the definition of boarding as long as the opponent hit the boards or his hits met the definition of roughing otherwise. Jonesy said that Grier had that "problem" ever since he was a pee wee (in Holliston) and that as long as he did not extend his arms he probably would not be called for boarding/roughing.... and that most of the calls against him in college were unfair.

I did not see the Hayes hit
I have, however seen MANY legal hip checks in hockey east called trips in the last few years.... pity that a lot of the refs do not know what a legal hip check is...

TERRIERFANinLA
10-18-2014, 08:43 AM
OKAY now one of the worst 5 minute major calls EVER! Hayes best the kid to the end boards and turned and hit him shoulder to shoulder!!! Let's now take checking out of the game!

worse than Bunyan's call on Diamond when DIamond was thrown into Hellybuck?

Pucknut
10-18-2014, 11:00 AM
I agree it was shoulder to shoulder but it was still charging but clearly not a 5-minute major. Also the Union player distinctly took a dive on the play and Bunyon should have made the call.

Ciampini was easily the best player of the night followed by Stevens with Jake Rutt playing well for the Bears.

Do we see Romeo tonight?

BBDiehard14
10-18-2014, 11:37 AM
I agree it was shoulder to shoulder but it was still charging but clearly not a 5-minute major. Also the Union player distinctly took a dive on the play and Bunyon should have made the call.

Ciampini was easily the best player of the night followed by Stevens with Jake Rutt playing well for the Bears.

Do we see Romeo tonight?

I think we see Morris again and a shakeup in lines. Vesey and Devin should be playing together. Devin needs to step it up a bit

Pucknut
10-18-2014, 01:13 PM

Whenever Grier played Maine he spent a lot of time looking to peel Reggie Cardinal out of his jersey.

Hokydad
10-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Good pickup by the Blackbears in Proctor Academy's Jake Popalardo. Very good forward, great skater, works all 3 zones, goal scorer as well. A Mike Vechionne type player.

Runsub5
10-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Good pickup by the Blackbears in Proctor Academy's Jake Popalardo. Very good forward, great skater, works all 3 zones, goal scorer as well. A Mike Vechionne type player.

What about Justin Rai from Surrey, British Columbia? He just verbally committed to Maine.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/17/sports/college/ive-had-maine-on-my-mind-paul-kariya-fan-commits-to-umaine-hockey-team/

FireKnight
10-18-2014, 03:12 PM

Union is not an old team. They have 7 freshman on the team. Experienced, well, I guess you can say that because the ones who were here went to the NC.

As for the hit, I'd say it was a borderline call but it was likely called because it was charging. It's a borderline between a 2 and a 5, but it was clearly charging.

Runsub5
10-18-2014, 04:25 PM
......... Talent, skill, strength, will, not sure what it is, but anyone can see it.

Add speed and coaching to that list. In my opinion it's speed, talent and skill. I believe the will to win and strength are there. I know that it can't be coaching.

walrus
10-18-2014, 04:39 PM

Got a link for that news