PDA

View Full Version : UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

uaafanblog
10-12-2014, 04:46 AM
Had a good convo with Gendron at the press table. He said that relating quality of play to issues of travel is a load of nonsense. He used different words that would leave no doubt as to exactly what he thinks of the issue.

BTW ... I put Jake Rutt on my All-Tournament ballot. I think he's a classy and determined player and represents your school well.

walrus
10-12-2014, 06:06 AM
A continuation of where they left off last year, sucking on the road. Oh well, time to get ready for next weekend. Huge games. They left out of conference PWR points in Alaska, hopefully they can get a few against Union. For those who thought Alaska was going to be a couple wins and all Red has to do is wave his magic wand to turn this team around wasn't paying attention to the last few years

Drew S.
10-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Had a good convo with Gendron at the press table. He said that relating quality of play to issues of travel is a load of nonsense. He used different words that would leave no doubt as to exactly what he thinks of the issue.

BTW ... I put Jake Rutt on my All-Tournament ballot. I think he's a classy and determined player and represents your school well.

Was he on the ice? I think its a little ridiculous for him to criticize the players for that. I'm sure he has traveled a bit more than they have too. I can't imagine too many of them have done in the past very often. I'm sure some of them have played the odd tourney in Europe or something, but its not like its a normal thing.

I believe Rutt was on the ice for three of the four goals last night...

Ma#1ne Hky
10-12-2014, 07:43 AM
A continuation of where they left off last year, sucking on the road. Oh well, time to get ready for next weekend. Huge games. They left out of conference PWR points in Alaska, hopefully they can get a few against Union. For those who thought Alaska was going to be a couple wins and all Red has to do is wave his magic wand to turn this team around wasn't paying attention to the last few yearsThis Team/Program is still a work in Progress and to be quite honest...we could see some backward steps this coming season...still the concerns are: Goaltending/Secondary Scoring/and the dreaded Road woes....they have a 6 game home stand and hopefully they can gain some confidence and the Bottom line is the Goaltending needs to be steady-solid after this Home span...Union will be a tough team,but just what they need...Ranked Team and the Defending Champs,should make for rockus Alfond Arena...there season maybe defined in these next 6 games...in that they improve each game and each week or a Roller Coaster ride each and every game.

Ma#1ne Hky
10-12-2014, 07:46 AM

BTW ... I put Jake Rutt on my All-Tournament ballot. I think he's a classy and determined player and represents your school well.Classy???? Must be someone else,not to down Rutt...but what I've seen of him over his UM Career and at the UNB game last weekend...well maybe he was for this weekend. And as far as Gendron and excuses...he makes no bones he hates to hear them,even if they are somewhat right...he's blunt and either you like him or you just deal with his ways.

amherstblackbear
10-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Do the Alaska schools underwrite part of travel costs for this tournament? No slight to UAA/UAF. Just a bit surprised to see Maine drop Florida and then book the AK tournament. Seems like a strange way to contain costs...

Drew S.
10-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Do the Alaska schools underwrite part of travel costs for this tournament? No slight to UAA/UAF. Just a bit surprised to see Maine drop Florida and then book the AK tournament. Seems like a strange way to contain costs...

I checked over the summer and flights were actually really cheap.

Jimjamesak
10-12-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the Alaska schools pay the air travel.

BBDiehard14
10-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Now that we're on to a 6-game homestand we need to win at least 4 or 5 of these. No more excuses

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
10-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Also the Alaska games are exempt which theoretically allows for 2 extra home games if the school wants

TERRIERFANinLA
10-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Watch the "highlights" of the Alaska game on the jockey east site
Watch the D coast when they should be sprinting to catch up( schurhamer caught a breakaway against unh while rutt just coasted against alaska)
Watch Morris hunch over to be smaller in the crease rather than "stand" tall in the butterfly (that's coaching, not the goalie)

Watch and least 3 black bears staning almost in the crease on most goals against... They either don't trust Morris or have no idea what they're doing (yet)
They all looked completely exhausted like they just fly to Denver and stepped right onto the ice
Luckily we will have a way to compare this team against itself in two weeks

BBDiehard14
10-14-2014, 06:05 AM
Watch the D coast when they should be sprinting to catch up( schurhamer caught a breakaway against unh while rutt just coasted against alaska)
Watch Morris hunch over to be smaller in the crease rather than "stand" tall in the butterfly (that's coaching, not the goalie)

Watch and least 3 black bears staning almost in the crease on most goals against... They either don't trust Morris or have no idea what they're doing (yet)
They all looked completely exhausted like they just fly to Denver and stepped right onto the ice

A lot of people are getting pessimistic after last weekend. I still believe this is an NCAA team. Keep the faith

Drew S.
10-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Great points. People can say 'no excuses' and rubbish like that but it was quite obvious Maine was way off their game due to the travel and time difference. Hopefully this weekend will be better but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the guys are still a little tired from the trip.

gscott13
10-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Lee Goldberg just tweeted this out. Tom and Sally Savage putting up a $1million challenge grant to entice Maine Hockey Alumni and former coaches to contribute $1million of their own money.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bz7DTUfCMAEJpa7.jpg:large

Drew S.
10-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Lee Goldberg just tweeted this out. Tom and Sally Savage putting up a $1million challenge grant to entice Maine Hockey Alumni and former coaches to contribute $1million of their own money.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bz7DTUfCMAEJpa7.jpg:large

For operational expenses? This doesn't smell right to me. If I was a former player I would want VERY detailed financial information before I donated anything.

gscott13
10-14-2014, 12:44 PM
For operational expenses? This doesn't smell right to me. If I was a former player I would want VERY detailed financial information before I donated anything.

It's to set up an endowment for the program, meaning only the earnings from the combined $2million would be used to cover costs of the program. The initial $2million would not be touched. The picture is just a press release that was sent out to the media. I am sure there is a more detailed plan being presented to those folks. And I read operational support as offsettign any budget shortfall. We read plenty about how Timmay! had to be head coach and fundraiser. Well this has the capability of taking care of a chunk of the annual shortfall without having to beat the pavement as much.

FWIW, BC got an anonymous $5million donation to set up a coaching endowment. May not be exactly the same as what Savage is trying to do, but the end game is still the same, make the team more competitive by relieving some of the funding burden.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/05/15/boston-college-receives-anonymous-5-million-coaching-endowment/

gscott13
10-14-2014, 03:54 PM
more info on the endowment drive

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-hockey/2014-15/releases/201410143ppe9j

Drew S.
10-14-2014, 04:11 PM
more info on the endowment drive

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-hockey/2014-15/releases/201410143ppe9j

They need to put more effort into filling the Alfond. If they did that there would be plenty of money.

Runsub5
10-14-2014, 08:13 PM
A lot of people are getting pessimistic after last weekend. I still believe this is an NCAA team. Keep the faith

Do you think Tim would come back if we asked him? :D;)

Wholin1
10-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Are there tickets available for this weekend? Looks like about a 400 mile drive but I always wanted to make it to Alfond, heard so much about it.