Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
    Don't be so pessimistic Every season should be NCAA or bust. We should all have high expectations for our teams here. Winning is everything.
    Realistic in this case. I think they improve but they aren't going to win it all. If they are top 4 in HE, Red did one heck of a job
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Realistic in this case. I think they improve but they aren't going to win it all. If they are top 4 in HE, Red did one heck of a job
      Who is going to finish ahead of them? Surely Providence, but beyond that I don't see that many great teams in hockey east. I would say Maine has a 50/50 shot at finishing top four.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Who is going to finish ahead of them? Surely Providence, but beyond that I don't see that many great teams in hockey east. I would say Maine has a 50/50 shot at finishing top four.

No question that the Friars are the team to beat but other than that, it's a crapshoot. We take care of business at home and steal some on the road, we'll be fine. And we don't see Providence until that final series again this year

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

And this is what those of us with conservative outlooks on the season cannot reconcile... one of you says, 50/50 to be top four in HE, and another saying it's a "crapshoot" and if things "fall right" they could be a frozen four team... well if we go with the 50/50 top four in the league scenario, there's a 50% chance that they are outside the top four and that would likely put them hovering on the bubble to make the NCAA tournament. Just about everyone in HE brings back plenty of scoring. BC, PC, NU, UVM, BU, MC all bring back experienced goaltenders from last season. Some teams have questions on defense, but Maine is included among them. I'm in agreement with those that think Maine is 2-3 years away. When Gendron's approach is really rooted. Unfortunately, that means Shore's talents are somewhat wasted, much like Gustav's. Still a lot of questions to be answered.

Returning Scoring
          BC - 108
          PC - 97
          Northeastern - 94
          Lowell - 79
          Maine - 77
          BU - 76
          UVM - 66
          UNH - 59
          Notre Dame - 56
          MC - 49
          UMass - 36

Poor UMass... only two returners with more than five goals (and only 3 had five or more)
          Last edited by gscott13; 09-17-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
            Poor UMass... only two returners with more than five goals (and only 3 had five or more)
            "Poor Umass" is a phrase no one should ever use.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              "Poor Umass" is a phrase no one should ever use.
              point taken, but that's ugly. mastalerz must wake up every morning wondering what he did wrong to deserve such a team in front of him....

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                And this is what those of us with conservative outlooks on the season cannot reconcile... one of you says, 50/50 to be top four in HE, and another saying it's a "crapshoot" and if things "fall right" they could be a frozen four team... well if we go with the 50/50 top four in the league scenario, there's a 50% chance that they are outside the top four and that would likely put them hovering on the bubble to make the NCAA tournament. Just about everyone in HE brings back plenty of scoring. BC, PC, NU, UVM, BU, MC all bring back experienced goaltenders from last season. Some teams have questions on defense, but Maine is included among them. I'm in agreement with those that think Maine is 2-3 years away. When Gendron's approach is really rooted. Unfortunately, that means Shore's talents are somewhat wasted, much like Gustav's. Still a lot of questions to be answered.

Returning Scoring
                BC - 108
                PC - 97
                Northeastern - 94
                Lowell - 79
                Maine - 77
                BU - 76
                UVM - 66
                UNH - 59
                Notre Dame - 56
                MC - 49
                UMass - 36

And do we all remember the 2001 Patriots? You know, the team nobody thought would win 8 games much less win a Super Bowl? This is sports. Anything can happen. We have to be faithful here and Red has said expectations are high - as they should be every year. Games are not played on paper. Games are played on the ice.

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post

Returning Scoring
                  BC - 108
                  PC - 97
                  Northeastern - 94
                  Lowell - 79
                  Maine - 77
                  BU - 76
                  UVM - 66
                  UNH - 59
                  Notre Dame - 56
                  MC - 49
                  UMass - 36

The 2007 team made the frozen four and they probably weren't one of the top 10 teams in the country. I don't think place of finish necessarily correlates to how far the team goes in the playoffs. A lot of how far a team goes in the playoffs comes down to luck, for better or worse.

I'm not sure how useful your chart is. For example, it would be interesting to know how many of those BC goals Hayes or Gaudreau was involved with last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    The 2007 team made the frozen four and they probably weren't one of the top 10 teams in the country. I don't think place of finish necessarily correlates to how far the team goes in the playoffs. A lot of how far a team goes in the playoffs comes down to luck, for better or worse.

I'm not sure how useful your chart is. For example, it would be interesting to know how many of those BC goals Hayes or Gaudreau was involved with last year.

You have a great point there. It's easy to score with guys like that on the ice

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      The 2007 team made the frozen four and they probably weren't one of the top 10 teams in the country
                      That 2007 team had great goaltending and underachieved in the conference, losing six of their last 8 games. And were coming off a stretch of NCAA appearances. The next year was the crater. Maine got in because they were 7-0-1 in Out of Conference games that year and had big wins that translated well to the PWR. Swept Bemidji, NoDak. Beat Minnesota, WMU, Cornell in their only meetings. This year they have Union (legit), Alaska-A (3 times), Alaska-F (1), and Canisius out of conference. This year's out of conference doesn't hold that kind of weight. And the in-conference out of conference games actually hurt Maine when it comes to Common Opponents in the PWR because theoretically, if Maine is being compared to a team that has only one common opponent (say UNh) and plays them once and wins, Maine would have to sweep UNH in four games to not lose the CoOp comparison.

But back to 2007. They backed in, somehow got slotted ahead of UMass who had just beaten them in four straight games thus avoiding Clarkson in the first round, got by St. Cloud (who had never won in the tourney before) and got a fifth chance at UMass...

This is a futile argument. We'll see how things play out over the course of the season. I hope come late March I am eating my words.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                        You have a great point there. It's easy to score with guys like that on the ice
                        They scored 84 goals that Gaudreau was not involved in. I'm not taking the time to eliminate how many of Hayes points overlap. Or how many overlapped with other seniors whose goals were already included in the other number
                        Last edited by gscott13; 09-17-2014, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          Ok everyone the season is less then a month away...lets put out our Picks for the Hockey East Regular Season/Frozen 4 Teams/UMaine player to have a great season/and a UMaine Player that's needs to step it up. - Hockey East: 1.Providence 2.Boston College 3.Northeastern 4.Vermont 5.MAINE 6.Notre Dame 7.Boston University 8.UMass-Lowell 9.New Hampshire 10.UMass 11.Merrimack 12.UConn - Frozen 4 Boston April 2015: Colgate - Providence - North Dakota - Minnesota. - UMaine player with a great season: Devin Shore,50 points in 36 games - 17 goals 33 assist. - Player needing to step up: Will Merchant... - well that my .02,hopefully others will follow/interesting to see what others fore-see to this upcoming season.
                          My guess for the Hockey East standings at the end of the regular season.

1. Providence
                          2. Boston College
                          3. Northeastern
                          4. UMass-Lowell
                          5. Maine
                          6. Vermont
                          7. Boston University
                          8. UNH
                          9. Notre Dame
                          10. Merrimack
                          11. Connecticut
                          12. UMass
                          Last edited by Ineverquit; 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM.
                          IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NAVY AND BLUE! UMAINE BLACK BEARS

National Champions 93' 99'

Comment

Latest from BDN:

UMaine lowers hockey ticket prices for 12 games in attempt to stem attendance decline

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff
                            Posted Sept. 17, 2014, at 7:06 p.m.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/1...dance-decline/

Comment

• Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                              Latest from BDN:

UMaine lowers hockey ticket prices for 12 games in attempt to stem attendance decline

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff
                              Posted Sept. 17, 2014, at 7:06 p.m.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/1...dance-decline/
                              Headed in the right direction but still way too high. Who in their right mind is going to pay $30 to see University of New Brunswick play? The problem Maine has is that they are in a vicious cycle of plenty of single game tickets being available so people are less likely to keep their season tickets which makes attendance even lower the following year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ineverquit View Post
                                My guess for the Hockey East standings at the end of the regular season.

1. Providence
                                2. Boston College
                                3. Northeastern
                                4. UMass-Lowell
                                5. Maine
                                6. Vermont
                                7. Boston University
                                8. UNH
                                9. Notre Dame
                                10. Merrimack
                                11. Connecticut
                                12. UMass

Lowell is way too high. They lost a lot so they'll take a small step back

Comment

Working...
                                X