Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    The fans' voice matters. But not from a, "He's our favorite player" point of view. If fans state a clinical, dispassionate case about why this punishment is too harsh in light of other suspensions at the U and elsewhere, too harsh based upon the reporting of the events that indicate there was a certain, substantial amount of provocation, you'll be listened to. It won't matter in this case, but might down the road.
    Very well said. I probably haven't done a very good job of articulating it but that is exactly how I feel. Maine is a public institution and how the taxpayers/fans feel absolutely matters. I'm sure there are examples but I can't remember another student athlete being treated so unfairly by the school they are attending. Anyone who reads the BDN has seen a bunch of negative articles about the school/entire system the last couple of weeks and what the University has pulled over the course of the last four and a half months just compounds the problem.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Very well said. I probably haven't done a very good job of articulating it but that is exactly how I feel. Maine is a public institution and how the taxpayers/fans feel absolutely matters. I'm sure there are examples but I can't remember another student athlete being treated so unfairly by the school they are attending. Anyone who reads the BDN has seen a bunch of negative articles about the school/entire system the last couple of weeks and what the University has pulled over the course of the last four and a half months just compounds the problem.

Ryan should've played football. He'd have gotten off free

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

The decision has been made and it doesn't matter how the fans feel about it. The fight is over. I wish Lomberg the best even though most of us feel the University is unjustified for treating him like a felon.

Comment

Wake me up when the obsessive discussion about Ryan Lomberg is finished.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
            Wake me up when the obsessive discussion about Ryan Lomberg is finished.

Well what'd ya expect?

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
              do you really think the powers that be should be taking into consideration the fans? seriously? i can just see susan hunter now.... "you know, ryan, we were going to suspend you a year and a half, but drew and a bunch of other fans of the hockey team will feel let down, so you know what, let's make it a semester instead...."

that said, i agree that the punishment is a bit excessive, but if you think that the fans should be considered as part of any punishment levied, you're out of your mind....

lomberg made a mistake and he's paying a big price, but one must consider that in addition to putting himself in this situation, he also managed to get himself in a position that resulted in someone pulling a knife on him... once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence... what are the odds that "third times a pattern" may have come to fruition....
              Good points gscott, good points. Especially this last paragraph. Of course, don't expect the fanboy Maine fans to come to any sort of agreement. Lobbying for a Lomberg reinstatement is like the parents of that kid in Missouri saying, "he was a good kid" at his funeral and blaming the cops.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                Ryan should've played football. He'd have gotten off free
                What would his .48 career points per game equate to in football? A field goal every few games?
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Good points gscott, good points. Especially this last paragraph. Of course, don't expect the fanboy Maine fans to come to any sort of agreement. Lobbying for a Lomberg reinstatement is like the parents of that kid in Missouri saying, "he was a good kid" at his funeral and blaming the cops.

Apples oranges

Comment

Apples oranges
                    Both are/were bad apples.

Comment

C'mon man. Fans are a huge part of this program. And the U dropped the ball here
                      Fans being part of the program is how Shawn got in trouble. Fans are not part of the program, they may be part of the funding?
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Both are/were bad apples.
                        Lomberg is a "good apple" who used bad judgement; but for UMaine to essentially call him a "bad apple" by telling the public he's been indefinitely suspended from attending classes when the decision was really initially suspension for a year, and then after an initial appeal to change his punishment into a year and a half, is just plain rotten by the University itself. The University seems to be telling us that life is cheap and everyone is expendable, so unless you're perfect you're worthless.
                        Last edited by blackbearbandie; 09-05-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

This could bite us in the butt down the road should Ryan sign with another Hockey East school

Comment

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                            This could bite us in the butt down the road should Ryan sign with another Hockey East school
                            If that happens my guess is Vermont would be the team he'd play for.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                              If that happens my guess is Vermont would be the team he'd play for.
                              Could be...but I would add UML & Merrimack to the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                                Could be...but I would add UML & Merrimack to the list.
                                I thought of Vermont only because their assistant coach, Kevin Patrick, was Lomberg's coach at Muskegon in the USHL.

There was a little blurb from The Hockey News that mentioned Lomberg that appeared online last week too:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/college-goalie-arrested-for-domestic-assault-and-resisting-arrest/

Comment

Working...
                                X