Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

No mention of Maine. What a shocker. Nobody in Boston gives us any respect. All bout the Empire

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/ge...s-too-cool-sch

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
      No mention of Maine. What a shocker. Nobody in Boston gives us any respect. All bout the Empire

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/ge...s-too-cool-sch
      Wow... how would Maine athletics even com close to fitting into that article? This guy is saying no one gives a hoot about NCAA athletics in Boston because of the local pro teams, regardless of the quality of the competition. Is that the case in Orono? Who's Maine competing with for the athletic fan base, Bangor High School?

Rumor even has it you can go in person if your GPS can get you to Chestnut Hill or Amherst. Duke, UNC, Syracuse -- these guys are pretty good at basketball. Florida State, Clemson and USC in football -- BC plays those guys this year. It's not small-time stuff. It's not beneath you to care. Most of the country's sports fans will do that even if they have pro sports teams to care about as well.
      How much press is BC getting in the BDN for their football and b-ball schedule? I doubt any at all, and why should they?
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        This would be why I wrote "If what is reported to be in the police report is true..."
        Update on this "police report"...apparently the quotes about what occurred came directly from a police officer, NOT the actual report. This is from the New Hampshire (UNH) school newspaper

EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to a reporting error, the original version of this story incorrectly stated that information about details of the alleged assault came from a police report. The information was in fact provided to The New Hampshire through a verbal statement from Durham Police Deputy Chief Renee Kelley.

None the less, not a good situation...obviously.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

FWIW...Joey Diamond has signed on to play for the Hershey Bears of the AHL.

Comment

Lomberg loses appeal. Here's the link
            Last edited by dwollstadt; 09-04-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
              Lomberg loses appeal. [URL="bangordailynews.com/2014/09/04/sports/umaine-hockey-player-loses-appeal-of-suspension-to-president/http://"bangordailynews.com/2014/09/04/sports/umaine-hockey-player-loses-appeal-of-suspension-to-president[/URL]/

Well I hope the good ol boys at the U are happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                Lomberg loses appeal. Here's the link
                Can someone post the emails of the people responsible for this? It would be nice to let them know how much they have let Maine hockey fans and the entire state down. Pathetic.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Can someone post the emails of the people responsible for this? It would be nice to let them know how much they have let Maine hockey fans and the entire state down. Pathetic.
                  do you really think the powers that be should be taking into consideration the fans? seriously? i can just see susan hunter now.... "you know, ryan, we were going to suspend you a year and a half, but drew and a bunch of other fans of the hockey team will feel let down, so you know what, let's make it a semester instead...."

that said, i agree that the punishment is a bit excessive, but if you think that the fans should be considered as part of any punishment levied, you're out of your mind....

lomberg made a mistake and he's paying a big price, but one must consider that in addition to putting himself in this situation, he also managed to get himself in a position that resulted in someone pulling a knife on him... once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence... what are the odds that "third times a pattern" may have come to fruition....

Comment

megan.sanders@maine.edu

president@umaine.edu

david.fiacco@umit.maine.edu
                    When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                      do you really think the powers that be should be taking into consideration the fans? seriously? i can just see susan hunter now.... "you know, ryan, we were going to suspend you a year and a half, but drew and a bunch of other fans of the hockey team will feel let down, so you know what, let's make it a semester instead...."

that said, i agree that the punishment is a bit excessive, but if you think that the fans should be considered as part of any punishment levied, you're out of your mind....

lomberg made a mistake and he's paying a big price, but one must consider that in addition to putting himself in this situation, he also managed to get himself in a position that resulted in someone pulling a knife on him... once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence... what are the odds that "third times a pattern" may have come to fruition....
                      A bit excessive? Tell me you didn't type that with a straight face. Last I checked the fans were the ones footing a lot of the bill both in the form of revenue from games and taxes paid that get distributed to the school. Would a business not factor it's stockholders into a decision?

There are situations where you are bang on with your last paragraph, in this case I have absolutely no idea whether it is or not. I think more than anything else in this case the school just didn't want to admit they were wrong.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post

C'mon man. Fans are a huge part of this program. And the U dropped the ball here

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          A bit excessive? Tell me you didn't type that with a straight face. Last I checked the fans were the ones footing a lot of the bill both in the form of revenue from games and taxes paid that get distributed to the school. Would a business not factor it's stockholders into a decision?

There are situations where you are bang on with your last paragraph, in this case I have absolutely no idea whether it is or not. I think more than anything else in this case the school just didn't want to admit they were wrong.
                          I'm on record in this thread as saying I thought it should have only been a semester, because it sounds like this is a case where a couple of drunk idiots wound up in a fight. Tone was lost on the "a bit" part. It was meant in jest. Regardless, I stand by my opinion that the fans should not be taken into consideration. The school didn't let us down. Lomberg did. Whether it was self defense, whether he was the aggressor, or otherwise, he put himself in a position that put his fate in the hands of someone other than himself. Yes, we can be disappointed in the severity of the punishment, i'm not saying we shouldn't, but to think that my opinion of the situation should be considered when handing out discipline, is laughable.

Comment

Like it or Not....time to move on....now it's time to think 2014-15 season and what and who is going to take Maine to get back on track and winning...to start it off my concerns are: Goaltending/Away game record this season/Strength with and without the puck --- Pluses: A year under Gendron/Shore having a monster year & rubbing off on others/Alfond Arena and Home Ice advantage like the old days.

Comment

• Lomberg will always be one of my favorite Black Bears. He's shown his true colors in the way he has dealt with this unfortunate situation with the naziesque heartless administrators and their bogus decisions. Yes, Lomberg overreacted and broke the rules of the code of conduct, but he's coming out of it as a better person, and he's a better hockey player today because of the Maine Hockey family. I wish him the best, and I'm still standing with him.

Comment

The fans' voice matters. But not from a, "He's our favorite player" point of view. If fans state a clinical, dispassionate case about why this punishment is too harsh in light of other suspensions at the U and elsewhere, too harsh based upon the reporting of the events that indicate there was a certain, substantial amount of provocation, you'll be listened to. It won't matter in this case, but might down the road.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X