PDA

View Full Version : UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

blackbearbone
09-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Headed in the right direction but still way too high. Who in their right mind is going to pay $30 to see University of New Brunswick play? The problem Maine has is that they are in a vicious cycle of plenty of single game tickets being available so people are less likely to keep their season tickets which makes attendance even lower the following year.

I'm not sure if you read the entire article. Where are you getting $30 tickets for UNB from? Is that based on a party of two from last year's numbers? It's $17 a pop for UNB this year, and the median ticket price went down overall. I fail to see the big deal.

rufus
09-18-2014, 08:50 AM
I agree. First of all this team needs to demonstrate they can win on the road. Secondly, they need to develop as the season progresses and peak at the end. last year they peaked way too early and "tanked" at the end.

Not so sure that's what they need to show. They need to show that they're stronger and more disciplined mentally so a weekend like what happened at Notre Dame doesn't send them tanking for the season.

Drew S.
09-18-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure if you read the entire article. Where are you getting $30 tickets for UNB from? Is that based on a party of two from last year's numbers? It's $17 a pop for UNB this year, and the median ticket price went down overall. I fail to see the big deal.

Some of the tickets are $17 and some are $30. The big deal is that the arena is half empty for most games. The only way they are going to fill it again is by significantly lowering the prices. There were folks on here a year ago saying all Maine had to do was win and the place would be full. Well guess what, Maine went 13-3 (I think that is what the article said) at home last year and they have sold less season tickets this year, even with a much better schedule. There are schools in hockey east that charge less than $200, including BC which plays Michigan and Minnesota at home this year. The administration at Umaine needs to front up and significantly lower ticket prices or pretty soon there will be less than 1K season ticket holders, regardless of the team's performance.

TERRIERFANinLA
09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Lowell is way too high. They lost a lot so they'll take a small step back

maybe, but I would no bet on it... hamilton, hutton, carr and hellybuck were all fantasitc college goalies... that tells me that it is the goalie coach at least as much as it is the team(s) and head coaches.

if they still have the same goalie coach, I am not assuming that they are going down much in the rankings without hellybuck.

I can imagine BC, PC, and NU finishing ahead of them and MAYBE ND

TERRIERFANinLA
09-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Some of the tickets are $17 and some are $30. The big deal is that the arena is half empty for most games. The only way they are going to fill it again is by significantly lowering the prices. There were folks on here a year ago saying all Maine had to do was win and the place would be full. Well guess what, Maine went 13-3 (I think that is what the article said) at home last year and they have sold less season tickets this year, even with a much better schedule. There are schools in hockey east that charge less than $200, including BC which plays Michigan and Minnesota at home this year. The administration at Umaine needs to front up and significantly lower ticket prices or pretty soon there will be less than 1K season ticket holders, regardless of the team's performance.

I am with Drew, they university has to start selling $5 kid tickets, or letting them in for free... that will fill the place up AND get a whole new generation of fans... Drew is the youngster on this board and he is getting pretty long in the tooth... the rest of the Maine fans are near retirement age...give or take.

TERRIERFANinLA
09-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Not so sure that's what they need to show. They need to show that they're stronger and more disciplined mentally so a weekend like what happened at Notre Dame doesn't send them tanking for the season.

were you at the providence playoff games???
that was men against boys... showing they are stronger can only be done if they are stronger or at least close to as strong.

BBDiehard14
09-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I am with Drew, they university has to start selling $5 kid tickets, or letting them in for free... that will fill the place up AND get a whole new generation of fans... Drew is the youngster on this board and he is getting pretty long in the tooth... the rest of the Maine fans are near retirement age...give or take.

30 bucks is too much for a kid to get into a college hockey game. And not all Maine fans are near retirement age, bro. Football fans, maybe.

all bear
09-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Realistic in this case. I think they improve but they aren't going to win it all. If they are top 4 in HE, Red did one heck of a job

They'll finish top4. Write it down. I'm good for a beer in P town if not.

walrus
09-18-2014, 05:16 PM
They'll finish top4. Write it down. I'm good for a beer in P town if not.
What about Beantown at the Frozen Four :)

BBDiehard14
09-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Done deal :) I still say top 3

FiveHole12
09-18-2014, 06:54 PM
You're coming down to see the Eagles play? Cool. ;) :D

all bear
09-18-2014, 07:12 PM

Chit I'd double that down in Beantown if da Bears are dere. ;)

BBDiehard14
09-18-2014, 07:59 PM
You're coming down to see the Eagles play? Cool. ;) :D

Naw. The Empire won't be there ;)

FiveHole12
09-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Naw. The Empire won't be there ;)
Probably right, considering Maine has a Hobey Finalist, will finish top 4 HE and FF participant. Bummer for us.

But hey... I think I saw you today driving down the Interstate. That was me waving.
Knew it was you when I saw your vanity plate... DREAMLAND. ;) :p

UncleRay
09-18-2014, 09:03 PM
They'll finish top4. Write it down. I'm good for a beer in P town if not.Please tell me you're talking about Portland and not Provincetown. Ya hack.

dwollstadt
09-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Nice story by Larry Mahoney on Jack Musil (http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/19/sports/first-english-forward-on-umaine-hockey-team-has-adapted-to-life-in-north-america/).

all bear
09-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Please tell me you're talking about Portland and not Provincetown. Ya hack.

You don't like Provincetown? I figured that's where your roots are.......... ya HACK

Runsub5
09-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Hockey tickets arrived today:). Unlike last year, a schedule was included along with a few words from the coach.

walrus
09-20-2014, 05:51 PM
You don't like Provincetown? I figured that's where your roots are.......... ya HACK

His roots are in O town (thats Orono not Ogunquit) like any good god fearing Maine fan.

UncleRay
09-20-2014, 10:11 PM
His roots are in O town (thats Orono not Ogunquit) like any good god fearing Maine fan.Just the cool ones, eh, Wally?