PDA

View Full Version : UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

BBDiehard14
09-04-2014, 09:07 PM
do you really think the powers that be should be taking into consideration the fans? seriously? i can just see susan hunter now.... "you know, ryan, we were going to suspend you a year and a half, but drew and a bunch of other fans of the hockey team will feel let down, so you know what, let's make it a semester instead...."

that said, i agree that the punishment is a bit excessive, but if you think that the fans should be considered as part of any punishment levied, you're out of your mind....

lomberg made a mistake and he's paying a big price, but one must consider that in addition to putting himself in this situation, he also managed to get himself in a position that resulted in someone pulling a knife on him... once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence... what are the odds that "third times a pattern" may have come to fruition....

C'mon man. Fans are a huge part of this program. And the U dropped the ball here

gscott13
09-04-2014, 09:27 PM
A bit excessive? Tell me you didn't type that with a straight face. Last I checked the fans were the ones footing a lot of the bill both in the form of revenue from games and taxes paid that get distributed to the school. Would a business not factor it's stockholders into a decision?

There are situations where you are bang on with your last paragraph, in this case I have absolutely no idea whether it is or not. I think more than anything else in this case the school just didn't want to admit they were wrong.

I'm on record in this thread as saying I thought it should have only been a semester, because it sounds like this is a case where a couple of drunk idiots wound up in a fight. Tone was lost on the "a bit" part. It was meant in jest. Regardless, I stand by my opinion that the fans should not be taken into consideration. The school didn't let us down. Lomberg did. Whether it was self defense, whether he was the aggressor, or otherwise, he put himself in a position that put his fate in the hands of someone other than himself. Yes, we can be disappointed in the severity of the punishment, i'm not saying we shouldn't, but to think that my opinion of the situation should be considered when handing out discipline, is laughable.

Ma#1ne Hky
09-05-2014, 12:03 AM
Like it or Not....time to move on....now it's time to think 2014-15 season and what and who is going to take Maine to get back on track and winning...to start it off my concerns are: Goaltending/Away game record this season/Strength with and without the puck --- Pluses: A year under Gendron/Shore having a monster year & rubbing off on others/Alfond Arena and Home Ice advantage like the old days.

blackbearbandie
09-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Lomberg will always be one of my favorite Black Bears. He's shown his true colors in the way he has dealt with this unfortunate situation with the naziesque heartless administrators and their bogus decisions. Yes, Lomberg overreacted and broke the rules of the code of conduct, but he's coming out of it as a better person, and he's a better hockey player today because of the Maine Hockey family. I wish him the best, and I'm still standing with him.

UncleRay
09-05-2014, 05:42 AM
The fans' voice matters. But not from a, "He's our favorite player" point of view. If fans state a clinical, dispassionate case about why this punishment is too harsh in light of other suspensions at the U and elsewhere, too harsh based upon the reporting of the events that indicate there was a certain, substantial amount of provocation, you'll be listened to. It won't matter in this case, but might down the road.

Drew S.
09-05-2014, 06:25 AM
The fans' voice matters. But not from a, "He's our favorite player" point of view. If fans state a clinical, dispassionate case about why this punishment is too harsh in light of other suspensions at the U and elsewhere, too harsh based upon the reporting of the events that indicate there was a certain, substantial amount of provocation, you'll be listened to. It won't matter in this case, but might down the road.

Very well said. I probably haven't done a very good job of articulating it but that is exactly how I feel. Maine is a public institution and how the taxpayers/fans feel absolutely matters. I'm sure there are examples but I can't remember another student athlete being treated so unfairly by the school they are attending. Anyone who reads the BDN has seen a bunch of negative articles about the school/entire system the last couple of weeks and what the University has pulled over the course of the last four and a half months just compounds the problem.

BBDiehard14
09-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Very well said. I probably haven't done a very good job of articulating it but that is exactly how I feel. Maine is a public institution and how the taxpayers/fans feel absolutely matters. I'm sure there are examples but I can't remember another student athlete being treated so unfairly by the school they are attending. Anyone who reads the BDN has seen a bunch of negative articles about the school/entire system the last couple of weeks and what the University has pulled over the course of the last four and a half months just compounds the problem.

Ryan should've played football. He'd have gotten off free

blackbearbandie
09-05-2014, 08:27 AM
The decision has been made and it doesn't matter how the fans feel about it. The fight is over. I wish Lomberg the best even though most of us feel the University is unjustified for treating him like a felon.

umhockey91
09-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Wake me up when the obsessive discussion about Ryan Lomberg is finished.:rolleyes:

BBDiehard14
09-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Wake me up when the obsessive discussion about Ryan Lomberg is finished.:rolleyes:

Well what'd ya expect?

Nick Papagiorgio
09-05-2014, 12:00 PM
do you really think the powers that be should be taking into consideration the fans? seriously? i can just see susan hunter now.... "you know, ryan, we were going to suspend you a year and a half, but drew and a bunch of other fans of the hockey team will feel let down, so you know what, let's make it a semester instead...."

that said, i agree that the punishment is a bit excessive, but if you think that the fans should be considered as part of any punishment levied, you're out of your mind....

lomberg made a mistake and he's paying a big price, but one must consider that in addition to putting himself in this situation, he also managed to get himself in a position that resulted in someone pulling a knife on him... once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence... what are the odds that "third times a pattern" may have come to fruition....

Good points gscott, good points. Especially this last paragraph. Of course, don't expect the fanboy Maine fans to come to any sort of agreement. Lobbying for a Lomberg reinstatement is like the parents of that kid in Missouri saying, "he was a good kid" at his funeral and blaming the cops.

Nick Papagiorgio
09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Ryan should've played football. He'd have gotten off free

What would his .48 career points per game equate to in football? A field goal every few games?

BBDiehard14
09-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Good points gscott, good points. Especially this last paragraph. Of course, don't expect the fanboy Maine fans to come to any sort of agreement. Lobbying for a Lomberg reinstatement is like the parents of that kid in Missouri saying, "he was a good kid" at his funeral and blaming the cops.

Apples oranges

Nick Papagiorgio
09-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Apples oranges

Both are/were bad apples.

walrus
09-05-2014, 03:21 PM
C'mon man. Fans are a huge part of this program. And the U dropped the ball here
Fans being part of the program is how Shawn got in trouble. Fans are not part of the program, they may be part of the funding?

blackbearbandie
09-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Both are/were bad apples.

Lomberg is a "good apple" who used bad judgement; but for UMaine to essentially call him a "bad apple" by telling the public he's been indefinitely suspended from attending classes when the decision was really initially suspension for a year, and then after an initial appeal to change his punishment into a year and a half, is just plain rotten by the University itself. The University seems to be telling us that life is cheap and everyone is expendable, so unless you're perfect you're worthless.

BBDiehard14
09-06-2014, 01:46 PM
This could bite us in the butt down the road should Ryan sign with another Hockey East school

blackbearbandie
09-06-2014, 02:16 PM
This could bite us in the butt down the road should Ryan sign with another Hockey East school

If that happens my guess is Vermont would be the team he'd play for.

Ma#1ne Hky
09-06-2014, 03:28 PM
If that happens my guess is Vermont would be the team he'd play for.Could be...but I would add UML & Merrimack to the list.

blackbearbandie
09-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Could be...but I would add UML & Merrimack to the list.

I thought of Vermont only because their assistant coach, Kevin Patrick, was Lomberg's coach at Muskegon in the USHL.

There was a little blurb from The Hockey News that mentioned Lomberg that appeared online last week too:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/college-goalie-arrested-for-domestic-assault-and-resisting-arrest/