Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I'll ask you this, what would you propose if this incident had happened last night or in a month? Should Lomberg have to sit out all year because that is how long it takes his case to work through the courts? How is that fair to him?
    Perfection is too high an expectation. Even the best designed policies are going to lead to unfortunate situations. That's where someone needs the wisdom to realize that life isn't fair, and sometimes you need to move on. I'm not saying my solution is perfect. Just that it's less bad than any other one I can think of.

In your hypothetical, my solution would be that the university might be able to soften the blow if legal proceedings exonerated the player by allowing a redshirt for the 'lost' season. Again, it's not perfectly fair, but nothing is. And it's more feasible than the alternative.

With your plan, my fear is that, realistically, no A.D. is going to want to stick their neck out for a player knowing that they could be giving the university a huge black eye. And no player should have to compromise their legal defense to satisfy their athletic commitment. That's just ludicrous.

Again, I'm not willing to read too much into the choice of charges. Maybe if someone could give me an ironclad guarantee that the facts didn't support any other charge than a misdemeanor...but it still seems plausible that the DA showed compassion / took an easy win, knowing that Lomberg was already history at Maine.

edit:

Without being explicit about it, I'm assuming that an athletic director will be a bit of a coward regarding bureaucratic politics, but is an otherwise decent person. What if we relax that assumption (say, a football player at an SEC school). An unscrupulous AD could threaten to revoke a scholarship to force an accused player to compromise his legal defense, maybe even up to the point of perjury, to allow the AD to rationalize reinstatement of eligibility. Blech.

The criminal justice system and college sports are already imperfect enough as it is, without asking them to do each others' jobs. Keep 'em separate.
    Last edited by amherstblackbear; 08-10-2014, 10:46 AM.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

If you read it closely all the draft picks are contingent on him turning up. He might not come back but I don't think it is completely resolved. His twitter profile still says he is Maine player. I don't think going to the USHL makes a lot of sense for him. If he gets kicked out of Maine I'm sure he would do it but I can't imagine he would want to unless he was forced into it. If he plays a year in the USHL, wouldn't he have to sit out a year at the school he transferred to? That was always my understanding of the transfer laws.
      When or If he plays a season in the USHL he can go to any College team after the USHL season is completed...meaning he will be able to play say for a Western Michigan or a Vermont for the 2015-16 season.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
        Ok...sounds from the article that it is a done deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          When or If he plays a season in the USHL he can go to any College team after the USHL season is completed...meaning he will be able to play say for a Western Michigan or a Vermont for the 2015-16 season.
          A reliable source told me that those "in the know" are saying he has been suspended for 1 year from the University, and he would be able to reapply to UMaine after this academic year, but in order to have consideration he would need some anger management counseling and substance abuse counseling too, since the incident happened while he had been drinking, supposedly. Lomberg may choose a different career path after this season, but if he can earn a spot on the roster I think UMaine should seriously consider taking him back to show that people can redeem themselves. Just because someone does something bad doesn't make them a bad person. I hope Lomberg gets his chance for redemption.
          Last edited by blackbearbandie; 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
            A reliable source told me that those "in the know" are saying he has been suspended for 1 year from the University, and he would be able to reapply to UMaine after this academic year, but in order to have consideration he would need some anger management counseling and substance abuse counseling too, since the incident happened while he had been drinking, supposedly. Lomberg may choose a different career path after this season, but if he can earn a spot on the roster I think UMaine should seriously consider taking him back to show that people can redeem themselves. Just because someone does something bad doesn't make them a bad person. I hope Lomberg gets his chance for redemption.

And who is this 'source'

Comment

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/08/1...y/?ref=polbeat

Comment

• Hopefully that is good news, what a boost it would be for the team and fans if he does come back.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Hopefully that is good news, what a boost it would be for the team and fans if he does come back.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, but now it's Red's turn to have his way with him

Comment

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                    And who is this 'source'
                    If you follow the team you'd know the person, that's how well known they are with obvious connections that most wouldn't have. I'm hoping the source has been misinformed though and Lomberg will be back this season, but after the latest development today hopefully we'll hear something more conclusive either way because all we know is that he is suspended indefinitely and is not currently enrolled as a student.

Comment

In the coming weeks, you will see UMaine institute the so called "Gerbe Rule" whereas as opposed to pardon for a lack of general intelligence, Lomberg will be excused for a general lack of self control.
                      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                        In the coming weeks, you will see UMaine institute the so called "Gerbe Rule" whereas as opposed to pardon for a lack of general intelligence, Lomberg will be excused for a general lack of self control.
                        Gerbe messed with hands, wrists and backs.
                        Foot to the head, foot to the mid section... that's the 'Sabo Rule'.
                        Get it right, you hack.
                        Last edited by FiveHole12; 08-11-2014, 05:01 PM.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100118761967324

Comment

Can I challenge you now? Or do I have to be challenged first? Either way I feel like people on here are getting a bath one way or another. I think Wally, acs64, applepicker, hockeypuck, papa smurf, and rufus are all getting a challenge as soon as someone provokes me to do it.

I was thinking also it might be a good idea if someone on here challenges the football cheerleaders, or the womens volleyball team. Just saying...

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                              Can I challenge you now? Or do I have to be challenged first? Either way I feel like people on here are getting a bath one way or another. I think Wally, acs64, applepicker, hockeypuck, papa smurf, and rufus are all getting a challenge as soon as someone provokes me to do it.

I was thinking also it might be a good idea if someone on here challenges the football cheerleaders, or the womens volleyball team. Just saying...
                              You have to be challenged and videotape yourself accepting, then you can challenge others. If you try submitting a single still shot (like Adam Shemansky did) expect to face ridicule. As for challenging the cheerleaders and the like, usually they either wear a nice bulky sweatshirt or a swimsuit. The New England Patriots cheerleaders have already done it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post

As cool as it is and as hard as its raining you could go step outside
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X