Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

It appears Lomberg is going to play for the Youngstown Phantoms. Coach Noreen welcomes him to the team after acquiring his rights. Best wishes to Ryan in the future. Here's the link in a BDN article.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/08/0...rights-traded/

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      It appears Lomberg is going to play for the Youngstown Phantoms. Coach Noreen welcomes him to the team after acquiring his rights. Best wishes to Ryan in the future. Here's the link in a BDN article.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/08/0...rights-traded/
      I really don't understand Maine's handling of this whole situation. Did Lomberg leave on his own or is he being forced out? It should have taken Maine a week to 10 days to investigate this and then they should have announced his punishment. I don't think there was a lot of mystery as to what happened. To let this drag on for months is completely ridiculous and I'm sure recruits have taken notice. It's incredibly disrespectful to the fans as well.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        I really don't understand Maine's handling of this whole situation. Did Lomberg leave on his own or is he being forced out? It should have taken Maine a week to 10 days to investigate this and then they should have announced his punishment. I don't think there was a lot of mystery as to what happened. To let this drag on for months is completely ridiculous and I'm sure recruits have taken notice. It's incredibly disrespectful to the fans as well.
        It is ridiculous if we don't hear anything more from UMaine about it, but as far as I'm concerned he's still suspended from UMaine, which means they haven't cut ties with him until they let us know officially. Since he's suspended he hasn't registered for classes which means he's not enrolled as a student. Hopefully after August 11th there will be an official statement from UMaine to set the record straight because if they don't say anything else they ought to pay Lee Goldberg because apparently they use him now to speak for UMaine athletics.
        Last edited by blackbearbandie; 08-09-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

How is the university supposed to conduct (and conclude) an investigation while the formal investigation / legal proceedings are ongoing?

"Well, I probably shouldn't speak to you, Mr. Assistant Athletic director, because I may be called as a witness, but I understand that the wishes of hockey fans supersede the formal legal process, so let's do it."
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            How is the university supposed to conduct (and conclude) an investigation while the formal investigation / legal proceedings are ongoing?

"Well, I probably shouldn't speak to you, Mr. Assistant Athletic director, because I may be called as a witness, but I understand that the wishes of hockey fans supersede the formal legal process, so let's do it."
            It's actually not very complicated, all the administration would have to do would be to collect all the relevant facts(if people don't want to talk than just focus on what evidence you do have), decide if Lomberg is guilty of something, and if he is guilty decide on the punishment. It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. It's not just for fans, I can't imagine the team enjoys this dragging on forever. Also, how about the parents of the kids on the team? Whether Lomberg is or is not on the team is going to determine how much some parents have to pay for this upcoming year. I would have to imagine Lomberg was on a full scholarship.

You and others want to turn this into some sort of major event and it really isn't. Look at the facts, the DA isn't even going to try him for simple assault it is such a weak case.

Comment

Appears to me a decision has already been made, either by the player, the coach or the school.
              Also appears they don't think the details are any of your business, so they ain't going to tell you.

Sometimes that's just the way it is.
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Has Lomborg actually said he was LEAVING Maine? Let the Court date take place then this mess should be figured out for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  Has Lomborg actually said he was LEAVING Maine? Let the Court date take place then this mess should be figured out for all.
                  I'm not sure why people are so unwilling to accept this. As I reported last month, Ryan Lomberg is no longer on the team. He's gone. He will play for Youngstown in USHL then join another NCAA team for the 2015-16 season.
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                    I'm not sure why people are so unwilling to accept this. As I reported last month, Ryan Lomberg is no longer on the team. He's gone. He will play for Youngstown in USHL then join another NCAA team for the 2015-16 season.
                    Why? because it sucks losing one of your best players. its tough to take but he is history. Wish him well. I'm sure some one will take a chance on him. I liked his play on the ice and though this was going to be a break out year for him.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Why? because it sucks losing one of your best players. its tough to take but he is history. Wish him well. I'm sure some one will take a chance on him. I liked his play on the ice and though this was going to be a break out year for him.
                      Totally agree that he would have been an impact player the next two seasons. I liked his style of play and if someone can bring the best out of him every night, every shift, he'll be a big-time player.
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        It's actually not very complicated, all the administration would have to do would be to collect all the relevant facts(if people don't want to talk than just focus on what evidence you do have), decide if Lomberg is guilty of something, and if he is guilty decide on the punishment. It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. It's not just for fans, I can't imagine the team enjoys this dragging on forever. Also, how about the parents of the kids on the team? Whether Lomberg is or is not on the team is going to determine how much some parents have to pay for this upcoming year. I would have to imagine Lomberg was on a full scholarship.

You and others want to turn this into some sort of major event and it really isn't. Look at the facts, the DA isn't even going to try him for simple assault it is such a weak case.
                        I think we disagree because you're looking at this specific case and trying to come up with a policy to fit it, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of policy would be both fair and workable not just in this case but in all similar ones.

There's only one way I can see a university acting faster than legal proceedings. If the university judges that there's a sufficient violation of university conduct, regardless of formal legal proceedings, I can see a university dismissing a student prior to legal disposition. I just don't see the reverse happening. More realistically, the university might suspend a student for the short-term, pending the conclusion of legal proceedings. But the U is not going to get out in front. That just isn't happening.

As for collecting facts, I just don't see that, either. I'm not a defense attorney, but my gut tells me that if I were, and a university official contacted me to request that my client share information regarding the case for university purposes, I'd laugh him out of the office. And if he insisted, I'd tell him to . . . ahh . . . engage in auto-fornication. Any attempt to collect facts on a faster-than-legal timetable is just bound to be biased against the student-athlete.

As for charges, I'm not inclined to read too much into them. You could be entirely right. It's also possible that the DA's office screwed up by not going after him harder. It's also possible that both of those scenarios are wrong and the truth is somewhere in between. If the case were borderline, knowing how serious a felony conviction might be for someone in Lomberg's career path, it's conceivable that Lomberg leaving Orono for somewhere > 1000 miles away made it easier to decide to pursue lesser charges.

There are just way too many unknowns for me, so I'm focusing on policy. And a policy that instructs the A.D. to conduct a completely separate, parallel investigation on the assumption that the university might see fit to exonerate a player regardless of legal outcome . . . that ain't happening.
                        Last edited by amherstblackbear; 08-10-2014, 07:52 AM.
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                          I'm not saying I don't accept it,just making sure it's set in stone that he is heading to the USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                            I think we disagree because you're looking at this specific case and trying to come up with a policy to fit it, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of policy would be both fair and workable not just in this case but in all similar ones.

There's only one way I can see a university acting faster than legal proceedings. If the university judges that there's a sufficient violation of university conduct, regardless of formal legal proceedings, I can see a university dismissing a student prior to legal disposition. I just don't see the reverse happening. More realistically, the university might suspend a student for the short-term, pending the conclusion of legal proceedings. But the U is not going to get out in front. That just isn't happening.

As for collecting facts, I just don't see that, either. I'm not a defense attorney, but my gut tells me that if I were, and a university official contacted me to request that my client share information regarding the case for university purposes, I'd laugh him out of the office. And if he insisted, I'd tell him to . . . ahh . . . engage in auto-fornication. Any attempt to collect facts on a faster-than-legal timetable is just bound to be biased against the student-athlete.

As for charges, I'm not inclined to read too much into them. You could be entirely right. It's also possible that the DA's office screwed up by not going after him harder. It's also possible that both of those scenarios are wrong and the truth is somewhere in between. If the case were borderline, knowing how serious a felony conviction might be for someone in Lomberg's career path, it's conceivable that Lomberg leaving Orono for somewhere > 1000 miles away made it easier to decide to pursue lesser charges.

There are just way too many unknowns for me, so I'm focusing on policy. And a policy that instructs the A.D. to conduct a completely separate, parallel investigation on the assumption that the university might see fit to exonerate a player regardless of legal outcome . . . that ain't happening.
                            I'll ask you this, what would you propose if this incident had happened last night or in a month? Should Lomberg have to sit out all year because that is how long it takes his case to work through the courts? How is that fair to him? I think one assumption you are making, and it is incorrect in some cases, is that whatever punishment the courts hand down is going to be worse than the punishment the school is going to hand down. I'm sure Lomberg is much more concerned about where he is going to be playing next year versus if he is going to pay a $500 fine or a $1000 fine.

What this all boils down to for me is not so much about having a policy or what the policy says, it is about the AD and others in administrative making decisions. I feel like this is a classic case of administrators hiding behind some policy and sticking their heads in the sand so they don't have to take action and make a decision. There's going to be instances such as this one where it isn't black and white at all. The AD and others in administration are very well compensated and should be capable of reaching a fair and equitable outcome for all involved in a reasonable amount of time.

To be clear, I'm not saying they should have found him not guilty of this. I think it would have been much better a couple weeks after it happened to have found him guilty of violating whatever code they have and banning him for a couple games. It's pretty obvious to me at this point, and it should have been to those in charge right after it happened, that this wasn't some sort of unprovoked or vicious attach he launched against the 'victim.' Could Lomberg have acted differently? I'm sure he could have, but at the same time athletes are human beings as well and it shouldn't be 100% on them to avoid conflicts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              I'm not saying I don't accept it,just making sure it's set in stone that he is heading to the USHL.
                              He's gone. The stone has been set.

http://www.youngstownphantoms.com/ph...-from-lincoln/

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                                If you read it closely all the draft picks are contingent on him turning up. He might not come back but I don't think it is completely resolved. His twitter profile still says he is Maine player. I don't think going to the USHL makes a lot of sense for him. If he gets kicked out of Maine I'm sure he would do it but I can't imagine he would want to unless he was forced into it. If he plays a year in the USHL, wouldn't he have to sit out a year at the school he transferred to? That was always my understanding of the transfer laws.

Comment

Working...
                                X