Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by HHound View Post
    It seems like every fall we hear that HEA will be down this year, yet somehow the traditional powers manage to compete in interleague play and one team emerges as a unexpected treat for its fans.
    I can certainly agree with your thoughts about BC, UML,UNH and ND, but most have strong incoming freshman classes, which will make them better as the season progresses. bu will be as dependent on its frosh as NU was last year. Northeastern has plenty of scoring ability beginning with Roy and Szmatula as well as a couple of newcomers who have shown well in juniors. Witt was fabulous. Hopefully the D will mature and get the puck to the forwards so that they can do what they do best. Maine, my second team, may have lost a talented, but volatile, player in Lomberg, but has plenty of talent left. If they get quality performances from two or three freshman and solid goaltending they could finish solidly in the top half of the league. I'm curious to see how Jack Musil works out. Unfortunately, very few players from his junior league make any waves in D! - at least not for a couple of years while they adjust to the higher level of play.

BC has to fall back to the **** pack one of these years......

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
      Maybe after Jerry retires, no sooner.

FWIW... despite the firepower BC lost from last season, I don't think BC will drop much, if at all. Some studs coming in, and loaded with returning D and G. JMO.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
        Their season all rides on what happens between the pipes. Hopefully a stud emerges. Otherwise they'll be average at best.
        I would say that the Goaltending will be the Question-mark to start the season,hopefully one or two put it together.

Comment

Its still early,but look for Providence & BC to battle it out for the top two spots in HEA...10/11/12 looks to be UMass/Merrimack/UConn...while 3 thru 9 could be a knock down/drag out to the end of the Schedule...but here's my 3 thru 9....3.NU/4.Vermont/now things get interesting with Maine @ 5/6.BU/7.Notre Dame/8.UNH/9.UML.....Maine needs there Goaltending to come thru or else...BU could be the surprise team in HEA with incoming talent and a year under Quinn...Notre Dame lost a lot of talent...UNH will be in a slight rebuilding mode...and UML lost loads of talent and there main man between the pipes...just a quick look at what could be....fwiw..!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            Its still early,but look for Providence & BC to battle it out for the top two spots in HEA...10/11/12 looks to be UMass/Merrimack/UConn...while 3 thru 9 could be a knock down/drag out to the end of the Schedule...but here's my 3 thru 9....3.NU/4.Vermont/now things get interesting with Maine @ 5/6.BU/7.Notre Dame/8.UNH/9.UML.....Maine needs there Goaltending to come thru or else...BU could be the surprise team in HEA with incoming talent and a year under Quinn...Notre Dame lost a lot of talent...UNH will be in a slight rebuilding mode...and UML lost loads of talent and there main man between the pipes...just a quick look at what could be....fwiw..!

Maine will be higher than y'all think and Vermont will be lower.

Comment

... and Vermont will be lower.
              Seemingly a perennial outcome
              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Still say BU is a year away while UMass, Mack and UConn will comprise of the cellar, with UNH, BU, Lowell and Notre Dame not far ahead of that trio. I'd say right now, right this minute, Providence is a better team than BC. PC has the goaltending edge. And a huge quantity of BC's points came from one line. If Maine can just find a goaltender, they will be better than some of you guys think.

My .02's:

1. PC
                2. BC
                3. Maine
                4. Northeastern
                5. BU
                6. Vermont
                7. UNH
                8. Notre Dame
                9. Lowell
                10. Merrimack
                11. UMass
                12. UConn

Comment

Don't hold your breath, recruiting NHL first rounders this year, Sonny Milano and Alex Tuch.

Comment

First off, Maine has no proven Goalie, pretty tough to win many games when your goalie situation is up in the air. We'll see if one steps up but I don't see any blue chipper goalie in the lineup at this point. Second, Lomberg was going to be a 20,20 guy this year if he goes who replaces that? I doubt anyone, you can say by committee but its still a huge loss. The D will be young, I like the fact Red is going big, hopefully they can skate. I see 5th or 6th, just like last year. Be patient
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      First off, Maine has no proven Goalie, pretty tough to win many games when your goalie situation is up in the air. We'll see if one steps up but I don't see any blue chipper goalie in the lineup at this point. Second, Lomberg was going to be a 20,20 guy this year if he goes who replaces that? I doubt anyone, you can say by committee but its still a huge loss. The D will be young, I like the fact Red is going big, hopefully they can skate. I see 5th or 6th, just like last year. Be patient

Patience only goes so far with this fan base. We want NCAA appearances not mediocrity. We aren't the Dallas Cowboys!
                      Last edited by BBDiehard14; 07-24-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Patience only goes so far with this fan base. We want NCAA appearances not mediocrity. We aren't the Dallas Cowboys!
                        Well, with attendance figures down, maybe the AD should try the cowboys cheerleader short shorts thing. Let's face it, that is the only way the cowboys are STILL America's team.

Comment

Teacher: You must learn patience.
                          Student: Yeah, yeah, yeah, patience. How long will that take?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Well, here is my best case...

The D is not young and is as balanced as one could hope for. One of the three goalies will step up... and it is rare when you have a guy around the program for a couple years as a sophomore, a guy that practiced with the team as a freshman, and a guy that played in the USHL as a freshman. I am thinking something shakes out. Lastly, there are many forwards that can step up from what I've seen. In fact, I am thinking in some ways you may see more of a defensive style this season. I am thinking Gendron learned from his days in NJ.

Now speaking of the devil... you sand bagging Wally you...

In the words of Farley...

"Remember that time you did that awesome trick... where you swallowed a night crawler, and tied it in a knot in you mouth and then shot it out your nostril into a BU fan's popcorn from 12 feet away.... man... that was awesome."

"And remember that time you entered that ZZ top longest beard contest at center ice in between periods only to lose to that BU chick... that was awesome."

"And remember that time you stole that PC fan's alternator... and threw it in Stillwater... man, that was wicked awesome."

Folks, I know, I know... but truth is stranger than fiction.

Comment

As far as Goalie goes I'll look back at Darling Sirman and Willie. They had some offense on those teams but look what happened. I don't expect it to be that bad, I think the goalies will be OK just not great. The offense could be as good but not without Lomberg so....
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                As far as Goalie goes I'll look back at Darling Sirman and Willie. They had some offense on those teams but look what happened. I don't expect it to be that bad, I think the goalies will be OK just not great. The offense could be as good but not without Lomberg so....
                                Darling was a young and promising goaltender when he was here, even with whatever his issues were which lead to his premature exit from the team. I remember being at a 1-0 shutout he had at Manchester with Nyquist sitting in the stands that game. I'm glad he didn't let his UMaine experience get the best of him, because after this past season in Milwaukee with the Admirals in the AHL the Blackhawks just signed him to a contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X