Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Coach Winken was the person all coaches should aspire to be.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Baseball at UMaine in the 80s was blast. Local boy Dave Gonyar hitting a home run in the 11th? inning after making an error to get to the WS . Billy Swift playing centerfield and throwing a guy out who tried to score from 2nd, the guy was barely around 3rd and the throw was a strike. Mike Bordick making 8 million errors his freshman year to setting MLB records for fielding. Fond memories, I saw as many games as I could back then. Place was packed for every game.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

...... and then they went to the "regionals" format and very few New England teams ever get to Omaha. I understand the "regionals" idea but somehow something was lost in the process........

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Baseball at UMaine in the 80s was blast. Local boy Dave Gonyar hitting a home run in the 11th? inning after making an error to get to the WS . Billy Swift playing centerfield and throwing a guy out who tried to score from 2nd, the guy was barely around 3rd and the throw was a strike. Mike Bordick making 8 million errors his freshman year to setting MLB records for fielding. Fond memories, I saw as many games as I could back then. Place was packed for every game.
          And the best part was 90% of the roster were Maine kids. I grew up in Augusta and we had several kids play for him in the heyday. It was a pretty big deal...those teams...fond memories.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
            you have so grossly misquoted the statutes and come to an incorrect conclusion in order to "win" a pis5ing contest, I hope that others have lost whatever respect for you that I never had.

also, apparently you have not bothered to look into ANY caselaw to see how the ole stare decisis thing works.

I sincerely hope that you are not (also) an attorney.
            Crawl back down your hole, **** stain:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...-Ach9sec0.html

§207. Assault

1. A person is guilty of assault if:
            A. The person intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury or offensive physical contact to another person. Violation of this paragraph is a Class D crime; or [2001, c. 383, §10 (NEW); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF).]
            B. The person has attained at least 18 years of age and intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person who is less than 6 years of age. Violation of this paragraph is a Class C crime. [2001, c. 383, §10 (NEW); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF).]
            [ 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF); 2001, c. 383, §10 (RPR) .]
            3. For a violation under subsection 1, the court shall impose a sentencing alternative that involves a fine of not less than $300, which may not be suspended.
            §208. Aggravated assault

1. A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes:
            A. Serious bodily injury to another; or [1975, c. 499, §1 (NEW).]
            B. Bodily injury to another with use of a dangerous weapon; or [1977, c. 510, §44 (RPR).]
            C. Bodily injury to another under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to, the number, location or nature of the injuries, the manner or method inflicted, the observable physical condition of the victim or the use of strangulation. For the purpose of this paragraph, "strangulation" means the intentional impeding of the breathing or circulation of the blood of another person by applying pressure on the person's throat or neck. [2011, c. 640, Pt. B, §2 (AMD).]
            [ 2011, c. 640, Pt. B, §2 (AMD) .]
            2. Aggravated assault is a Class B crime.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              What'd Bordick make that game at Vermont in the snowstorm, something like four or five errors in the game? Must have been hard fielding a white baseball in the middle of a blizzard. Just as amazing, and a tribute to his work ethic, is he went from hitting .206 as a freshman to .369 as a junior, and set the school record(at the time) for hits. As a freshman, there were times in big games when he'd come up to bat with men in scoring position, and you could almost hear an audible groan go through the stands. Nothing directed towards Bordick, and not trying to be mean or get on his case, the crowd loved him, but they recognized hitting wasn't his strong suit, and knew pretty much that those runners would end up stranded.

What a truly incredible big league career he went on to make for himself. My all-time favorite Maine baseball player, and there were a lot of them. Tony LaRussa said he was his favorite player he ever coached.

Godspeed Coach Wink. You truly were Maine baseball.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

His teams were simply a blast to watch. What an era in Maine baseball under his direction. RIP ole Wink.
                sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  ....My all-time favorite Maine baseball player, and there were a lot of them.

Godspeed Coach Wink. You truly were Maine baseball.
                  My middle school assistant principal was Ed Hackett. There were a few times when I was sent down to see him as a student for the wrong reasons, but for as much as he was a disciplinarian he did have everyone's respect and was well liked. From what I hear, he's really done a great job transitioning to Principal this past year too. I can't say I've personally known many Maine Baseball players, but if they're anything like Ed Hackett they must be all class acts.

Comment

Less than 3 months til we drop the puck in Anchorage! Not that I'm wishing summer away, but I'm ready for the season to start

Comment

Well, this Lomberg leaving is a fairly significant loss. However, and as I did last season, despite that the team is still projected into the top 4 according to some calculations I did. Now, calculations are worth what they are. My guess is this may mean certain guys can be shifted into special teams situations. And it may motivate the team to work harder to make up for the loss. I am not sure if Merchant and Campbell are locks to come back. But those are the two that I think need to work harder this season to make up a difference. They both have a lot of promise in their own respective skill sets. Having said that, I'd like to see Merchant get more physical and pass/shoot more. I'd like to see Campbell play his physical style he showed and work angles to the net front. Now this assumes one of the incoming freshman defenseman making a solid contribution on defense in an "at home" role. It also assume that one of either Nugnes or Morris assume a starting role with a reasonable loss in save percentage over what Oullette had. Obviously if the goaltending is better, the team is better. And if the defense is better, the team is better. And if the forwards, as a whole, improve the team is better. But it really does come down to the fact that if you are battling for home ice in your league you are on the bubble in ncaa. If you are battling for the top spot you are more than likely playing for the rights to go to the frozen four. It should be interesting to see how different players on this team work this offseason. My sheet has Renouf being the 6th defensemen battling Hamilton for playing time. It has Hayes in the line up on a pair with Hutton. It has Musil, Tegeler, and Campbell in the line up on the final 3 spots with Merchant, Lacroix and Cerratani battling for playing time. It has Morris and Nugnes in tandem with Morris winning the starting role after the winter break. It has them scoring 117 and giving up 80. Although, I think the defense can improve on that stat. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        Well, this Lomberg leaving is a fairly significant loss. However, and as I did last season, despite that the team is still projected into the top 4 according to some calculations I did. Now, calculations are worth what they are. My guess is this may mean certain guys can be shifted into special teams situations. And it may motivate the team to work harder to make up for the loss. I am not sure if Merchant and Campbell are locks to come back. But those are the two that I think need to work harder this season to make up a difference. They both have a lot of promise in their own respective skill sets. Having said that, I'd like to see Merchant get more physical and pass/shoot more. I'd like to see Campbell play his physical style he showed and work angles to the net front. Now this assumes one of the incoming freshman defenseman making a solid contribution on defense in an "at home" role. It also assume that one of either Nugnes or Morris assume a starting role with a reasonable loss in save percentage over what Oullette had. Obviously if the goaltending is better, the team is better. And if the defense is better, the team is better. And if the forwards, as a whole, improve the team is better. But it really does come down to the fact that if you are battling for home ice in your league you are on the bubble in ncaa. If you are battling for the top spot you are more than likely playing for the rights to go to the frozen four. It should be interesting to see how different players on this team work this offseason. My sheet has Renouf being the 6th defensemen battling Hamilton for playing time. It has Hayes in the line up on a pair with Hutton. It has Musil, Tegeler, and Campbell in the line up on the final 3 spots with Merchant, Lacroix and Cerratani battling for playing time. It has Morris and Nugnes in tandem with Morris winning the starting role after the winter break. It has them scoring 117 and giving up 80. Although, I think the defense can improve on that stat. Thoughts?

There's no reason this team can't compete for a top spot in HEA if things come together. The OOC slate isn't brutal, and if we can steal some league games on the road we'll be fine. That was the Achilles last year

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          I'm on the same page with you. As upset as I will be if Lomberg leaves, Maine still should be able to put together a couple decent lines without him between Shore, Leen, Pecararo, S. Swavely, Byron, and Higgins. An important thing to keep in mind is that the league looks to be down a bit this year. UML, UNH, and UML lost quite a bit from last year. BU will be really young and are probably a year or two away from being a power again. I'm not really sure about Northeastern or Providence, one will probably be good and one probably will disappoint. BC has a lot of talent coming in but not much in their junior or senior classes. Without Lomberg and assuming nothing else awful happens I see them somewhere between third and fifth, but with all the parity nothing between first and ninth would surprise me.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Their season all rides on what happens between the pipes. Hopefully a stud emerges. Otherwise they'll be average at best.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                              Their season all rides on what happens between the pipes. Hopefully a stud emerges. Otherwise they'll be average at best.

Let's remember that Hockey East will be down this year. BC won't be as good. Lowell, UNH and Notre Dame lost a lot of talent. BU is a year or two away. NU and PC have the goaltending, but who is going to put the puck in the net? While the potential loss of Lomberg will be a dent, I'd like to see one of the first-year guys on the Shore line. There is no reason whatsoever this team cannot compete for a top-3 spot in Hockey East and an NCAA tournament bid. I know a lot of folks are playing the "it's going to take time" card but there's only so much patience true diehards have. The last thing we want is to become the Dallas Cowboys of college hockey - settling for mediocrity. NCAA or bust this year!

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                                Let's remember that Hockey East will be down this year. BC won't be as good. Lowell, UNH and Notre Dame lost a lot of talent. BU is a year or two away. NU and PC have the goaltending, but who is going to put the puck in the net? While the potential loss of Lomberg will be a dent, I'd like to see one of the first-year guys on the Shore line. There is no reason whatsoever this team cannot compete for a top-3 spot in Hockey East and an NCAA tournament bid. I know a lot of folks are playing the "it's going to take time" card but there's only so much patience true diehards have. The last thing we want is to become the Dallas Cowboys of college hockey - settling for mediocrity. NCAA or bust this year!
                                It seems like every fall we hear that HEA will be down this year, yet somehow the traditional powers manage to compete in interleague play and one team emerges as a unexpected treat for its fans.
                                I can certainly agree with your thoughts about BC, UML,UNH and ND, but most have strong incoming freshman classes, which will make them better as the season progresses. bu will be as dependent on its frosh as NU was last year. Northeastern has plenty of scoring ability beginning with Roy and Szmatula as well as a couple of newcomers who have shown well in juniors. Witt was fabulous. Hopefully the D will mature and get the puck to the forwards so that they can do what they do best. Maine, my second team, may have lost a talented, but volatile, player in Lomberg, but has plenty of talent left. If they get quality performances from two or three freshman and solid goaltending they could finish solidly in the top half of the league. I'm curious to see how Jack Musil works out. Unfortunately, very few players from his junior league make any waves in D! - at least not for a couple of years while they adjust to the higher level of play.

Comment

Working...
                                X