Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
    I don't know about institutionalized bias, but this one always gets be riled up. Worst call I have ever seen in any sport ever. http://youtu.be/SmIVPFQ-WS8
    And now my blood is boiling. I need to take a walk.

That is the call I mentioned from the playoffs against Merrimack. Benedetto has had a habit of screwing Maine over

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
      That is the call I mentioned from the playoffs against Merrimack. Benedetto has had a habit of screwing Maine over
      Don't feel special. Bennedetto is an equal opportunity screwer and quite experienced.

I saw Lomberg play at NU last winter. He was a capable, dangerous forward with a really nasty, thuglike edge to his play. One of those "if he's on your team, you love him. If he's the opponent, you hope he doesn't injure any of your guys." kinds of players. He played as though he was on the edge of losing control.

I hate to see the kid's goose cooked before it ever sees the oven, before he's had due process. Was he thrown to the wolves by Red or did he make the decision to leave (and possibly return in a year - or try his luck elsewhere)? If somehow he is found completely innocent, Red may need medical care for the gunshot wound to his foot.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
        ......... Was he thrown to the wolves by Red or did he make the decision to leave (and possibly return in a year - or try his luck elsewhere)? If somehow he is found completely innocent, Red may need medical care for the gunshot wound to his foot.
        The situation is still very much in flux based on what I have read. His next court appearance should be coming up shortly. He has been suspended by the University until the case has been resolved. The decision on both suspension and perhaps reinstatement, is pretty much out of Red's control. Red may have some input but my guess is the University will be making the final decision based on the court outcome and the facts surrounding the charges.
        Maine had a football player recently who was charged with assault and later went on to kill a person. Very tragic for everyone involved. I am sure the University is being very cautious and deliberate in handling this case.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA
          I am not exactly shocked that the lynch mob is a bit more silent after reading the above.
          rule number 1: the BDN does not report events as they occur.
          rule number 2: police reports include ONLY allegations that support a charge, and NEVER exculpatory information
          We don't respond to you because engaging with people in tin foil hats is usually counterproductive.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA
            you do not engage because you have no ability to formulate a cogent thought regarding the criminal justice system and WHY Lomberg was charged with a misdemeanor IF what the BDN reported was correct.

and your misuse of "tin foil hat" as an insult is kinda sad. you have no idea who I am and what I know and how I learned it. You disagree with me because you choose to believe what you want to believe. (Hamilton/posse, e.g.)
            I believe what I was told by Hamilton's teammates, who would have no reason to paint him in a worse light than reality would paint him in. And what they told me was exactly what a baseball player who was present told me. There was no dispute over Hamilton's actions or his motives.

Regardless, I will respond to your "interpretations" of Maine's Criminal Code. Interpretations is in scare quotes because I don't believe you have actually read the law. In Maine, "Assault" is a Class D crime, Title 17-A, S. 206. "A person is guilty of assault if: The person intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury or offensive physical contact to another person." What you are referring to as felony assault is, in Maine, actually termed "Aggravated Assault," a Class B crime, Title 17-A, S. 208. "A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes: Serious bodily injury to another(.)"

Now, let's investigate the differences between those two laws and compare them to your analyses. Both contain the same state of mind from the assailant: intentionally, knowingly, recklessly. So what the assailant was thinking doesn't matter in distinguishing between a misdemeanor and a felony. Both also fail to distinguish between the action that causes bodily injury. The only disparity between the two statutes is the term "serious."

Therefore, under Maine law, HOW you commit assault doesn't matter (*I will note here that assault with a dangerous weapon, and assault manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life are alternate avenues to an aggravated assault charge, but no one is alleging either happened here). I could use your head as a trampoline, and if you are no worse for the wear, it is simple assault. Alternatively, I could knock you over with a feather, and if you break your neck it could be aggravated assault.

In your analysis, you are focused on the actions of the assailant, Lomberg. Your contention is that kicking someone in the head is a serious way to assault someone, and therefore must be aggravated assault. However, Lomberg's actions are not the distinguishing factor between a misdemeanor and a felony. The victim's injuries are. Here, we have an apparent broken nose and concussion. Now, I am not a Maine criminal lawyer, so I can't tell you what the threshold is for an injury, but it seems that for whatever reason the DA's office has not determined that the victim's injuries were enough to cross the boundary from "bodily injury" to "serious bodily injury." The word "serious" could mean different things to different people, and spending time convincing the jury that these injuries are serious could have been considered not an ideal use of limited prosecutorial resources.

Comment

Interesting read on a situation at Texas Tech. Similar to Lomberg? Different?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...harges-dropped

Comment

http://fillthesteins.bangordailynews...=bangor-widget

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                  Both contain the same state of mind from the assailant: intentionally, knowingly, recklessly. So what the assailant was thinking doesn't matter in distinguishing between a misdemeanor and a felony. Both also fail to distinguish between the action that causes bodily injury. .
                  you have so grossly misquoted the statutes and come to an incorrect conclusion in order to "win" a pis5ing contest, I hope that others have lost whatever respect for you that I never had.

also, apparently you have not bothered to look into ANY caselaw to see how the ole stare decisis thing works.

I sincerely hope that you are not (also) an attorney.

Comment

AMC,
                    The confusion on the shod foot thing comes from the difference in state laws. In Mass, it can be considered assault with a deadly weapon and thus a felony.

Also known as a "Sabo" to our friends from Chestnut Hill.

This is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as support to any poster with or without a tin foil hat.
                    Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

• I really can't believe someone who is supposedly a Maine 'fan' wrote this. I used to think Maine fans were some of the best in the world, a big part of that was loyalty and supporting the team no matter what. There are no doubt still a lot of great fans but it's pretty discouraging to read that idiot and Runsub's nonsense. In case people haven't noticed Maine's hockey has been pretty average the last seven or eight years. With all the parity in today's game having Lomberg on the team is probably worth a couple places in the standings next year and could very well be the difference between making the NCAA's or not. If it is determined he is a danger to people on campus the school would be wise to remove him, but to do it to be PC or holier than though is nothing but an insult to the true fans and quite frankly disgusting.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        I really can't believe someone who is supposedly a Maine 'fan' wrote this. I used to think Maine fans were some of the best in the world, a big part of that was loyalty and supporting the team no matter what. There are no doubt still a lot of great fans but it's pretty discouraging to read that idiot and Runsub's nonsense. In case people haven't noticed Maine's hockey has been pretty average the last seven or eight years. With all the parity in today's game having Lomberg on the team is probably worth a couple places in the standings next year and could very well be the difference between making the NCAA's or not. If it is determined he is a danger to people on campus the school would be wise to remove him, but to do it to be PC or holier than though is nothing but an insult to the true fans and quite frankly disgusting.
                        FINALLY someone agrees with me! It perturbs me how some fans don't want to win, are playing the "Rome wasn't built in a day" card. Diehards want victories, not to continue being a mediocre team while teh likes of the Evil Empire continue to rule this league.

Comment

time to put aside differences and remember a wonderful, friendly kind, friend of Maine Hockey...
                          http://www.silvertonmemorial.com/obi...za/#!/Obituary

from the obituary:
                          "Since the University of Maine Men’s Hockey assisted Kalev's son with a scholarship, Kalev and his family would like to “pay it forward” by having in lieu of flowers donation be made in Kalev Memory to the University of Maine Men’s Ice Hockey Program PO Box 370, Orono, ME 04473-0370."

my check has been sent. Kalev was such a nice person! He will be remembered fondly by everyone he touched.

Comment

The best part of all this is, no one has heard any sworn testimony. We have no idea(unless you were there) what happened that night. I'm gonna assume Ryan knocked the guys lights out but for what reason? Was it provoked or not, I don't know. Until I know I'm gonna hold off saying whether he should stay or go.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              The best part of all this is, no one has heard any sworn testimony. We have no idea(unless you were there) what happened that night. I'm gonna assume Ryan knocked the guys lights out but for what reason? Was it provoked or not, I don't know. Until I know I'm gonna hold off saying whether he should stay or go.
                              excellent post.

Comment

Rest in peace Coach Winkin. Put U Maine on the map long before hockey did. I remember as a kid watching those Maine teams at the college World Series. What an amazing coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X