Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    The Hamilton story was right, he ended up pleading out. I was in school up there at the time, had good friends on both teams, one of whom was present. All told the same story. Hamilton got drunk, was ****ed the kid was seeing Hamilton's ex (who was a very good looking young lady, he was understandably upset), he, Clark and Bellamy set off to march over to the kid's apartment complex, Bellamy got lost in the woods, Hamilton busted in the door and started swinging, a bucket of water spilled all over the floor and it was like keystone kops trying to get everyone untangled. The process played out. Hamilton and Clark were suspended, the court process played itself out, the school judicial process played itself out, they were allowed back on the team.

Let the process play out here. But the process dictates that if you are arrested for assault, you get the court stuff sorted out before you are back on the team. Don't want to wait that out? Don't get in fights.

I want nothing but success for Maine hockey, but not at the cost of letting the players do whatever the hell they want off the ice. I'm sure Lomberg has his side of the story, I'm sure the judge will hear it, I'm sure the school will hear it, but until then one kid ended up in the ER and the other didn't.

College fights over girls happen every day. Personally I wouldn't blame Hamilton for being ticked off

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      And then this was posted on Facebook:

Nathan is a reporter for Maine Hockey Journal.
      www.wcsh6.com/story/sports/2014/07/14/u-maine-forward-had-11-goals-last-season/12660373/

Here's the link with a video clip of Lee Goldberg from last night's news when he "confirmed" he had already left the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
        www.wcsh6.com/story/sports/2014/07/14/u-maine-forward-had-11-goals-last-season/12660373/

Here's the link with a video clip of Lee Goldberg from last night's news when he "confirmed" he had already left the team.
        Lomberg may have every intention of staying and rejoining the team depending on what the school does, but at the same time his family adviser is telling the USHL that Ryan will be back with them. Both could be happening and subsequently, no one is lying. Makes for a great soap opera though!

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Lomberg may have every intention of staying and rejoining the team depending on what the school does, but at the same time his family adviser is telling the USHL that Ryan will be back with them. Both could be happening and subsequently, no one is lying. Makes for a great soap opera though!
          Does going to the USHL make any sense for him? If he did that, would t he only be able to play one more year of college hockey? We haven't seen this in hockey as much as in other sports, but if he went to Maine next year, didn't play hockey, and graduated could he in theory play two more years someplace else straightaway as a grad student?
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
            College fights over girls happen every day. Personally I wouldn't blame Hamilton for being ticked off
            And there are repercussions for said fights. Girls aren't property. They have free will and agency to date or sleep with whomever they want. He can be mad, he doesn't have the right to physically assault someone or be the instigator in a fight.

Are we really arguing that Maine needs to let its hockey players have free reign to start whatever fight they want off ice whenever they are feeling peeved? Is that the cost of victory in division one hockey these days? If so, count me out.

Comment

And there are repercussions for said fights. Girls aren't property. They have free will and agency to date or sleep with whomever they want. He can be mad, he doesn't have the right to physically assault someone or be the instigator in a fight.

Are we really arguing that Maine needs to let its hockey players have free reign to start whatever fight they want off ice whenever they are feeling peeved? Is that the cost of victory in division one hockey these days? If so, count me out.

Hell, Johnny Football hung out at strip clubs in Texas when he wasn't under center for A&M. Double-standard?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Does going to the USHL make any sense for him? If he did that, would t he only be able to play one more year of college hockey? We haven't seen this in hockey as much as in other sports, but if he went to Maine next year, didn't play hockey, and graduated could he in theory play two more years someplace else straightaway as a grad student?
                Going to the USHL would be better than being suspended indefinitely, or not playing hockey at all. If his future is still up in the air when school begins, he might decide on the USHL route, and then transfer to another school.

No one is saying hockey players should have free reign to beat people up. However, there is a proper punishment for his behavior. If getting into a fight is grounds for expulsion from college most classrooms would be empty.

Comment

Not saying that at all and I actually agree with you. Fighting is dumb, but it happens. And yes there are consequences for actions. I just feel...and this is just my opinion, which I'm allowed to have, I would hope, without being called names like p ri ck, that getting into a scrap doesn't warrant the suspension he's been given. Sexual assault, crap like that, then yes beat it and don't come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    No one is saying hockey players should have free reign to beat people up. However, there is a proper punishment for his behavior. If getting into a fight is grounds for expulsion from college most classrooms would be empty.
                    People are saying that, though. I also disagree that that many college kids are getting into fights, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm not saying it's grounds for expulsion either, but a suspension until the court case is resolved isn't unwarranted. It's July. Not listing the kid on the roster isn't the end of the world. He's entitled to a speedy trial, and once he has that trial, the University and Lomberg can move forward with an actionable plan for reinstatement on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      Not saying that at all and I actually agree with you. Fighting is dumb, but it happens. And yes there are consequences for actions. I just feel...and this is just my opinion, which I'm allowed to have, I would hope, without being called names like p ri ck, that getting into a scrap doesn't warrant the suspension he's been given. Sexual assault, crap like that, then yes beat it and don't come back.
                      The kid hasn't missed a single game. It's July. His case will be heard before the start of the season, until then he can work out on his own.

And I don't think I called you any names. Jeff may have but I didn't read through all that stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        People are saying that, though. I also disagree that that many college kids are getting into fights, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm not saying it's grounds for expulsion either, but a suspension until the court case is resolved isn't unwarranted. It's July. Not listing the kid on the roster isn't the end of the world. He's entitled to a speedy trial, and once he has that trial, the University and Lomberg can move forward with an actionable plan for reinstatement on the team.
                        Show us the posts where people said the team had free reign to beat people up.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                          The kid went to EMMC with a concussion and broken nose!
                          There's a disconnect here. I don't want to run out of town any kid who's ever gotten into a scrap. If he did kick someone repeatedly in the head . . . that's not an otherwise good kid who got in a scrap. That's a thug. I don't care whether he's at Texas, Maine, or BC.

I don't have any special evidence, and I'm not going to make any judgment here. I'm just questioning what counts as a "silly scrap." It's a legitimate question. $.02
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

And I don't think I called you any names..
                            Wasn't referring to you on that one. Another poster is calling people p ri cks and aholes.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              There's a disconnect here. I don't want to run out of town any kid who's ever gotten into a scrap. If he did kick someone repeatedly in the head . . . that's not an otherwise good kid who got in a scrap. That's a thug. I don't care whether he's at Texas, Maine, or BC.

I don't have any special evidence, and I'm not going to make any judgment here. I'm just questioning what counts as a "silly scrap." It's a legitimate question. $.02
                              Agreed. There's getting into a scrap, and there's being a thug. But seeing how he was charged with a misdemeanor and not felony assault, in the eyes of the law, which are the only eyes that count, it may not have been as bad as is being portrayed. Again just my OPINION!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                This is correct, IMHO. The process has to play out in court - which means people shouldn't assume one way or the other.

Comment

Working...
                                X