Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
    Totally agree. This isn't a huge deal. If this incident happened back during our tenures at Orono, it wouldn't even make the campus newspaper. But this is a different era. Once this got into the legal system's hands, and then to the University disciplinary committee, it is out of Red's.

It's not. Everyone who thinks he is going to be gone needs to calm down a little bit. It's not a big deal. He was drunk, the victim was drunk. This crap happens every day at every college from Maine to Alaska. We'll be seeing Ryan line up on the blue line in Orono against either Union or UAA.

Comment

• Re: UMaine: No Cure for the Summertime Blues but to BEAR the Months 'till October!

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
      Totally agree. This isn't a huge deal. If this incident happened back during our tenures at Orono, it wouldn't even make the campus newspaper. But this is a different era. Once this got into the legal system's hands, and then to the University disciplinary committee, it is out of Red's.
      Appears that I am in the minority. I think it's a serious issue. The victim is kicked while on the ground, receives a concussion and has to be physically removed by witnesses. Alcohol may also have been involved which only served to compound the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Appears that I am in the minority. I think it's a serious issue. The victim is kicked while on the ground, receives a concussion and has to be physically removed by witnesses. Alcohol may also have been involved which only served to compound the matter.
        You are right it is a serious issue,and what compounds it more is that it is the first major issue that Gendron will have to address in guiding this program back on and off the ice. Either way if found guilty or not guilty...Lomborg will be playing hcokey somehweres this fall & winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          I think it depends on the circumstances. If Lomberg was unprovoked he should be kicked off the team, but if the other kid did something to the mutual friend's dog or swung at Lomberg first it is a completely different situation. In either case, the kid should have handled it differently, don't go running to the cops like a little *****. That never was how things were handled when I was living in Maine.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

What does the code of conduct say, doesn't every Maine athlete sign it? We will know on the first day of school, is Ryan there or not? As far as I know he is still suspended from the hockey team, no dryland training, no hike up Katadin, without a court date or a plea he is in limbo for sure
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              I think it depends on the circumstances. If Lomberg was unprovoked he should be kicked off the team, but if the other kid did something to the mutual friend's dog or swung at Lomberg first it is a completely different situation. In either case, the kid should have handled it differently, don't go running to the cops like a little *****. That never was how things were handled when I was living in Maine.

Bingo. I think the victim is at fault in this situation. He instigated the fight, and he went to the cops like a little girl. And I hate to say it, but college kids drink. You can't just tell your players "no booze, no girls," et al. Coaches can't control what their players do off the field/ice. If that was the case, then Johnny Football wouldn't be in Vegas every weekend with 10 girls.
              Last edited by BBDiehard14; 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I'm sure it wasn't an unprovoked thing. Nobody just starts swinging on someone for no reason unless you're a psychopath. This is another example of our uber PC society. This stuff has gone on forever and it's not a big deal!! As has been said, 15, 20 years ago you never would of heard of this incident. I can think of 3 examples...that I witnessed when I was at Maine, where hockey players kicked the crap out of some guys. Nobody went crying to the admn or cops. It was a fight. Someone won, someone lost. They dusted themselves off and moved on. As far as I know innocent until proven guilty is still the law and I don't think he should be banned or suspended from anything until it is proven he did something wrong esp for something like getting into a fight. I'm sick of everyone and everything being tried and judged thru social media and the regular media. Ugh.

Comment

Less than 3 months until Men's Hockey Tournament in Alaska. Looking forward to a attending. Hope there are a few Maine Fans out there with me.. Should be a fund time..

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                    I'm sure it wasn't an unprovoked thing. Nobody just starts swinging on someone for no reason unless you're a psychopath. This is another example of our uber PC society. This stuff has gone on forever and it's not a big deal!! As has been said, 15, 20 years ago you never would of heard of this incident. I can think of 3 examples...that I witnessed when I was at Maine, where hockey players kicked the crap out of some guys. Nobody went crying to the admn or cops. It was a fight. Someone won, someone lost. They dusted themselves off and moved on. As far as I know innocent until proven guilty is still the law and I don't think he should be banned or suspended from anything until it is proven he did something wrong esp for something like getting into a fight. I'm sick of everyone and everything being tried and judged thru social media and the regular media. Ugh.

It's called the wussification of America. I still don't think Lomberg should be kicked off the team. Think of the production offensively we'd be losing......

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      Very well said.

Has anyone spent any time with the new AD? Impressions? Do you have a feel for which way he wants to go with this situation?
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                        Are you kidding me? "Political correctness" is not why you are NOT ALLOWED TO KICK A PRONE INDIVIDUAL REPEATEDLY IN THE HEAD. "Uber PC society." Jesus Christ.

The kid went to EMMC with a concussion and broken nose! What is he supposed to say when he got there? "Uh, I fell." The police have said that there is no way to construe that Lomberg was defending himself.

But really, let's let the hockey players just wander around Old Town/Orono like it's their personal fiefdom, kicking the **** out of whoever displeases them in the slightest. It would be too PC to allow them to do otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          Are you kidding me? "Political correctness" is not why you are NOT ALLOWED TO KICK A PRONE INDIVIDUAL REPEATEDLY IN THE HEAD. "Uber PC society." Jesus Christ.

The kid went to EMMC with a concussion and broken nose! What is he supposed to say when he got there? "Uh, I fell." The police have said that there is no way to construe that Lomberg was defending himself.

But really, let's let the hockey players just wander around Old Town/Orono like it's their personal fiefdom, kicking the **** out of whoever displeases them in the slightest. It would be too PC to allow them to do otherwise.
                          I think today it's difficult to gauge what the consequences, if proven guilty, should be because it seems with zero-tolerance we also are quick not to forgive someone and quicker yet to discard them without allowing room for personal growth in one of life's many lessons that all of us could get something out of, but the trend seems to be more and more to just discard someone even though those same actions were once addressed and corrected differently not too long ago in an age of an entirely different form of political correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Hockey Fan View Post
                            Less than 3 months until Men's Hockey Tournament in Alaska. Looking forward to a attending. Hope there are a few Maine Fans out there with me.. Should be a fund time..
                            Yes, funds for the flights, funds for the hotel, funds for the tickets, funds for the meals, funds for the booze,.....
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

It appears Ryan is gone to the USHL. He isn't on UMaines roster which was just put up on the Goblackbears page and folks are tweeting its a done deal. What shame, he was good player who was fun to watch but with all the attention to athletes one can't screw up and expect it to go unnoticed. Good luck to Ryan
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The roster came out today and Ryan Lomberg isn't on it. Subsequently, Jeff Cox reported that there are several sources in the USHL and inside UM who say Lomberg is already gone. Given the timing, it appears Lomberg made the decision that he wasn't going to wait around in Limbo until the school decided.

The 2014-15 roster.
                                http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...2014-15/roster

Comment

Working...
                                X