Clear All

• BC Women's Hockey '14-'15: #SOAR

Kicking off the new season with the announcement of the captains:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-2015-captains
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Danielle Doherty, who redshirted her junior year, will be back on the team as a grad student this year according to Twitter. Great team player who was a strong contributor last year, especially after taking two years off. She made it to the second line a couple of times as a senior.

Comment

Re: BC Women's Hockey '14-'15: #SOAR

What will be the goalie situation next year? Is the new recruit Gabri Switaj any good. I cant see Miller as the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by sheagle008 View Post
        What will be the goalie situation next year? Is the new recruit Gabri Switaj any good. I cant see Miller as the starter.
        Welcome to the forum.

There was a rumor on the boards that Miller might be leaving the team. I don't know how accurate that is. I think Taylor Blake is overcoming an injury too.

Switaj has a bit of a pedigree I believe but don't know enough about her to say how good she might be.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Welcome to the forum.

There was a rumor on the boards that Miller might be leaving the team. I don't know how accurate that is. I think Taylor Blake is overcoming an injury too.

Switaj has a bit of a pedigree I believe but don't know enough about her to say how good she might be.
          Very Good goalie who plays the puck well. Basically kept her outgunned Culver teams in games. Her biggest question at D1 will be her small size.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
            Very Good goalie who plays the puck well. Basically kept her outgunned Culver teams in games. Her biggest question at D1 will be her small size.
            Corinne Boyles was small and she was a great goalie at the heights. She was only 5'5 and played pretty big in her crease.

Comment

Corinne Boyles was small and she was a great goalie at the heights. She was only 5'5 and played pretty big in her crease.
              I was a big fan of Boyles. Those are some big skates to fill.

Comment

I don't believe Switaj approaches anything close to 5'5" - more like 5'1".

Comment

TTT I forget how to communicate "off forum" but let me know if you want the scoop....

Comment

I just shot you an email

Comment

Whats the scoop on the freshman class? Are they a strong class>

Comment

Whats the scoop on the freshman class? Are they a strong class>
                        Yes -- 3 or 4 U18s coming in, I believe it's supposed to be quite a group.

Comment

Toni Ann Miano is a force... seen her play a couple times, she is very good and has a heavy shot

Comment

As far as we know the incoming class is:

Kali Flanagan .....................D ..................(Boston Shamrocks) .........................Burlington, MA
                            Megan Keller ......................D ...............(USA 18s/Honeybaked) ................Farmington Hills, MI
                            Makenzie Kent ....................F ..................(USA 18s/Assabet) ............................Norwell, MA
                            Toni Ann Miano ..................D ......................(USA 18s/NAHA) ................................Bronx, NY
                            Tori Sullivan .......................F ................(USA 18s/Honeybaked) ...............West Boomfield, MI
                            Gabri Switaj -- G -- (Culver Academy) Kent, OH

Switaj's father was also a goalie at BC ('83), her uncle played hockey at BC as well, and her father currently runs hockey camps. Oh and apparently her cousin works for the Bruins. My guess is she bleeds hockey. Really strong freshman class, perhaps even stronger than Skarupa/Trivigno/Bender from two years ago, only time will tell if it's even better than Carpenter/Field/Pfalzer from the previous year.

Good to see the D emphasis as well. The team wasn't bad in goals against last year, but lacked some aggression on D (especially before Pfalzer got better) and seemed weak on the power play. (The stats may disagree, but I saw what I saw). This looks to set us up with a really strong blue line for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                              As far as we know the incoming class is:

Kali Flanagan .....................D ..................(Boston Shamrocks) .........................Burlington, MA
                              Megan Keller ......................D ...............(USA 18s/Honeybaked) ................Farmington Hills, MI
                              Makenzie Kent ....................F ..................(USA 18s/Assabet) ............................Norwell, MA
                              Toni Ann Miano ..................D ......................(USA 18s/NAHA) ................................Bronx, NY
                              Tori Sullivan .......................F ................(USA 18s/Honeybaked) ...............West Boomfield, MI
                              Gabri Switaj -- G -- (Culver Academy) Kent, OH

Switaj's father was also a goalie at BC ('83), her uncle played hockey at BC as well, and her father currently runs hockey camps. Oh and apparently her cousin works for the Bruins. My guess is she bleeds hockey. Really strong freshman class, perhaps even stronger than Skarupa/Trivigno/Bender from two years ago, only time will tell if it's even better than Carpenter/Field/Pfalzer from the previous year.

Good to see the D emphasis as well. The team wasn't bad in goals against last year, but lacked some aggression on D (especially before Pfalzer got better) and seemed weak on the power play. (The stats may disagree, but I saw what I saw). This looks to set us up with a really strong blue line for several years.
                              I don't know Keller, but Miano and Flanagan are very strong offensively (BTW - Flanagan played for the Wizards this season, not the Shamrocks). I would be concerned however about the quality of the complete defense group on the defensive side of the puck. Given the tenuous goalie situation (at least to start the season), seems like this should be a focus area. This BC team could be one that has to outscore other teams to win games (aka Edmonton Oilers of the '80s). Be interesting to see how it develops - if any team has the firepower to outscore opponents, it should be this one. Could turn out to be a fun ride if you like games with scores like 8 to 6!!

Comment

Working...
                              X