The NCHC: Volume II, Season II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NCHC: Volume II, Season II

I went looking for the old thread but I see we managed to lock it up.

Brad S. posted a link to a Paisley story about the upcoming NCHC meetings, and possible changes. I think the one that is most intriguing relates to the NCHC playoffs, and the idea of skipping the first round series and have all 8 teams show up in Minneapolis for a 3 day festival of games. Although the league probably won't come out and say it, such a format eliminates the doomsday scenario of UND, SCSU and UMD all missing the tournament.

But it also has the benefit of letting the teams, and their fans know they will be in Minneapolis, so they can plan accordingly.

I personally love the idea. 4 college hockey games, single elimination, all in one day at one venue. I can't imagine a better day of hockey than that. I think that idea would have a real shot at growing the NCHC tournament into a destination "event" for the fans of these 8 teams.

The plan obviously has some deficiencies. The league misses out on the revenue from all those first round games. You also make the 1st and 2nd place teams in the tournament play 3 games in 3 nights one week before the NCAAs. But from a fan perspective, I am absolutely in favor.

But here is my question. Is it possible to even squeeze in 4 college hockey games in one day in the same venue? MN State High School does it, but their games don't run as long.

Last year the league scheduled games 3 1/2 hours apart in Minneapolis. That was plenty of time, by the way.

Using that format, you'd probably have to have the first game at 10:00 a.m., followed by 1:30, 5:00 and 8:30 p.m. With no overtimes or glitches, you'd be out of there by about 11 p.m. Or, you could kick it all back an hour and be out by midnight, assuming no overtime games.

I think it's a terrific idea, but I don't see the league taking a chance on it.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Re: The NCHC: Volume II, Season II

I don't like the idea. Sure you get all the teams there but it seems like too many games that will run longer than the state tournament does.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

The idea is better than 4 teams. Who's going to travel A) knowing that there is a good chance your team won't make it and B) for just 3 games. Part of the greatness of the Final5 was having enough games to get enthusiastic about.
      Last edited by 5mn_Major; 04-28-2014, 09:41 AM.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

There was another change idea floated which is the top 4 gets byes, 5 plays 8 6 plays 7 and 6 teams are at the Target Center, and we have the Final Five format.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I feel so much better now that we got a goofer fan's view on this subject... 'cause that's what we care about. Amiright?

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
            There was another change idea floated which is the top 4 gets byes, 5 plays 8 6 plays 7 and 6 teams are at the Target Center, and we have the Final Five format.
            I saw that. To me the trade off of just getting two more teams to the Target Center versus the loss of first round games wasn't enough. It doesn't solve the problem of trying to make it easier for Miami, WMU, DU and CC, and their fans, to plan to come to TC.

Having all 8 teams at TC is not without it's own potential problems. In addition to the scheduling nightmare should a couple of the games go in long OT sessions, the format also doesn't really fit well with any possible expansion of the league. I don't see a scenario whereby the league would play a conference tournament like the Big 10 basketball tournament or anything, so we'd just end up scrapping it altogether if expansion were to occur.

It's probably just the idea of having a single day with 4 college games that has some appeal for me, but as I said, I don't see the league taking that step.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
              I feel so much better now that we got a goofer fan's view on this subject... 'cause that's what we care about. Amiright?
              Nope. Be nice. Other people who are fans of other teams can have opinions too. As long as it is not intended to rile people up or not on topic. This is neither of those.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Nope. Be nice. Other people who are fans of other teams can have opinions too.
                Since when? Why wasn't I consulted on this? I definitely would've put the kibosh on such a ridiculous notion.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  So are you saying the #5 vs. #8 and #6 vs. #7 take place the weekend where they normally play the first round (higher seed gets home ice) and then reseed, winners play #3 and #4 seeds on Thursday at Target Center with #1 and #2 getting byes into the semis on Friday?

Main question was when and where do they play the initial elimination round. I wouldn't think having those teams all go to Minneapolis for that would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
                    So are you saying the #5 vs. #8 and #6 vs. #7 take place the weekend where they normally play the first round (higher seed gets home ice) and then reseed, winners play #3 and #4 seeds on Thursday at Target Center with #1 and #2 getting byes into the semis on Friday?

Main question was when and where do they play the initial elimination round. I wouldn't think having those teams all go to Minneapolis for that would make sense.
                    As I understand it, 8 plays at 5, 7 at 6, during the old first round weekend. Then we have 6 teams advance to Minneapolis, exactly as we had it at the end of the old WCHA.

Comment

Working...
                    X