NCAA ice hockey rule change prediction & discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA ice hockey rule change prediction & discussion thread

So after basically disconnecting from the Fan Forum for a month, I'm back... and with a new discussion topic.

It's an even-numbered year, which means potential rule changes for NCAA men's and women's ice hockey. I found a copy of a letter sent earlier this week from the NCAA to "NCAA Ice Hockey Conference Commissioners, Head Coaches and Coordinators of Officials" that provides a schedule.

Rules meeting and process. The rules committee meets June 2-4 in Indianapolis. This is a rules change year for the committee and proposals that are made will be distributed soon after the meeting. Coaches and conferences will have a comment period following the meeting. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel will review the proposals and comments at its meeting on July 16. Once approved, the rules will become final and be in place for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
    Any thoughts as to what we might see this year? Will "always-on icing" be proposed again? How about a delay of game penalty for putting the puck out of play from the defensive zone? Other ideas?
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Re: NCAA ice hockey rule change prediction & discussion thread

They don't need any new rules. They just need to enforce the rules they have against checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      They don't need any new rules. They just need to enforce the rules they have against checking.
      Agreed.

I also think they need to let the players play the puck when it comes off the netting that is above the glass behind the goals. That would cut down on whistles and improve the flow of the game.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Really - we're turning ice hockey into Arena Football now. How about no player can change when the puck is in your defensive zone. You're coming back late behind the play, puck crosses the blue line and you change, illegal substitution.
        Last edited by 123kidd; 04-26-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I hope that they allow more contact in the woman's game....if you've seen a CWHL game, they allow much more body contact, not checking, which the players seem to enjoy....saw Jillian Apps battle for the puck with a Finnish player, whom I'm sure she came up against in the Olympics....it was obvious that they didn't like each other, and the ref let them play out their aggression with no penalties....now having said that, I've seen hits along the boards cause season ending injuries not called, so it is a fine line but for the most part I'd let more physical play into the woman's game.....so maybe not a rule change but a change in attitude!

Comment

Have non releasable penalties for the "aggressive" minor penalties.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

the officials have enough trouble calling the penalties they have now, let's not be adding more which will only give them more reasons to make more mistakes

the only rule change I'd like to see is more reviewable calls
              yeah, it would slow down the game
              but that's a lesser evil than a blown call

perfect example is the national championship game
              late in the game a goal is waved off
              replay clearly shows it wasn't even close (which is why the officials call was over ruled)

why would an official, who often claim to not want to make a call that determines the outcome (like an obvious penalty for example)
              call off a goal late in the game when it wasn't even close?

Incompetence
              let's keep the game simple for the officials

Comment

I'd like to see holding the stick and interference called more often. It is becoming an increasing tactic especially with teams that aren't skilled up front or on the back end to try and impede the progress of an opposing player by holding or grabbing the stick or getting in the way on face-offs or in front of the net. It needs to be cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                  Any thoughts as to what we might see this year? Will "always-on icing" be proposed again? How about a delay of game penalty for putting the puck out of play from the defensive zone? Other ideas?
                  I like the current icing rule and hope they don't change it. As for putting the puck out of play from the defensive zone, I like the rule where it's a delay of game if it's the goaltender, but for other players I would like to see it ruled like icing; that is, the offending team cannot make a change - all 6 players must remain on the ice - with the faceoff in their zone (deflections out of play excepted, of course).

As far as checking is concerned I agree with Eeyore in that the level of contact that we have now is about right. The refs just need to be more consistent throughout the game. "Even up" calls need to be avoided and they shouldn't put away their whistles just because time is running out.

I also agree with Skate79 about calling the stick infractions and interference more closely - especially when used to thwart scoring chances. I like the fact that the women's game is all about speed and skill.

One random question: what happened to the rule than permitted hand passes (no whistle) in the defensive zone? Apparently that rule was short-lived and I don't know why they reverted to calling hand passes anywhere on the ice even if they are inadvertent, i.e. it deflects off a players glove and goes to a teammate. At least it's not like soccer where the other team is awarded a penalty kick from point-blank range and they win the game 1-0!
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

It's time to legalize body checking. The level of skill in the sport has progressed to the point where it can be done without being detrimental to the excitement of the game.

It's also hurting the growth of the sport. Most people I know who are unfamiliar with it find out there's no body checking and immediately take the sport less seriously because of it.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      It's also hurting the growth of the sport. Most people I know who are unfamiliar with it find out there's no body checking and immediately take the sport less seriously because of it.
                      Have to disagree with you on this one, Grant. The growth of the sport comes from getting increasing numbers of young girls to take up the game. There is already a perception out there - one that is held especially among lots of moms of those young girls - that the sport is too dangerous. The people who are more interested in seeing the rough stuff than appreciating the speed and skill are not true potential fans. For them there's plenty of lower minor league hockey out there to go and see, or perhaps roller derby would be of interest.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Have to disagree with you on this one, Grant. The growth of the sport comes from getting increasing numbers of young girls to take up the game. There is already a perception out there - one that is held especially among lots of moms of those young girls - that the sport is too dangerous. The people who are more interested in seeing the rough stuff than appreciating the speed and skill are not true potential fans. For them there's plenty of lower minor league hockey out there to go and see, or perhaps roller derby would be of interest.
                        THIS! The men's game lost me when it turned into the hunger games... hit everything moving on the ice. No strategy, no subtly, no brains required. My wife loves the women's game especially because it has no checking (but lots of strategic contact). We would both be gone if they allowed women to check.

Comment

It's time to legalize body checking. The level of skill in the sport has progressed to the point where it can be done without being detrimental to the excitement of the game.

First of all....No WAY never happening.
                          Secondly those same people will NEVER take women's hockey seriously because it is played by women.
                          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Agree with all comments of those who disagree with TTT20.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Most people I know who are unfamiliar with it find out there's no body checking and immediately take the sport less seriously because of it.
                              I also know people who don't take college hockey seriously because there is no fighting allowed. Where do we stop? Also, if you allow checking all the pansy Moms will pull their girls off the ice. I'd like to see less incidental contact allowed and even more flow to the games.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                              X