X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Look-Up Line," a warning track for hockey

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/sp...tml?ref=sports

Re: "The Look-Up Line," a warning track for hockey

While I would agree that a Look Up line would be relatively easy and affordable to implement, and not change the spirit of the game in any detrimental way, I wonder, at least in the instances described in the article where injury occurred, if the line would have made any difference:

"But playing left wing in a preseason game in August 2008, he chased down an opponent on a breakaway, tried to leap over his goalie and crashed headfirst into the end boards."

"But during a practice on Oct. 1, 2009, Smith was tripped as he rounded the net and fell headfirst. “As soon as I hit the boards, I knew I was paralyzed again,” he said."
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

They had it at Frozen Fenway. From those I talked to who were there it had no effect.

If the line is at your feet, and your head is supposed to be up, how are you going to be able to safely see the line?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        They had it at Frozen Fenway. From those I talked to who were there it had no effect.

If the line is at your feet, and your head is supposed to be up, how are you going to be able to safely see the line?
        Agree. In reality it needs to be a really wide band, a true warning track, (at least six feet) where you know that once you are in that area you can't pop someone from behind. Most of the nasty injuries come from guys getting popped out further and hitting the boards closer to the ice.
        Last edited by Hux; 04-16-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X