Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    Always a ray of optimism, this one.
    LOL. Kids leave all the time. Of all the kids that have left after accomplishing nothing I'm not going to get wound up about a kid who leaves after he already graduated.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm already half thinking about Ramsey vs. Sheehy for the coming season. Guessing it'd be Ramsey since we should have at least seven guys that could end up top six.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        I'm already half thinking about Ramsey vs. Sheehy for the coming season. Guessing it'd be Ramsey since we should have at least seven guys that could end up top six.
        The banter has been saying that and so does the logic. In addition to no room on the top two lines (Bristedt is coming in), Sheehy looks to still be improving in the USHL (a tougher league). Ramsey less so in a lesser league. Next year we should have plenty of room, a perfect time for Sheehy to join.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
          Word I am hearing is we probably won't know on Rau until after Florida's developmental camp.

I don't know what it is but I almost feel like when the decision becomes this dragged out, if the player returns he doesn't seem to have as good of a season. Almost like he was mentally a little bit out of the door but then decided to come back... but his game doesn't completely come back with him. I wouldn't mind Rau proving me wrong though.
          Even if that's true, there's still the locker room leadership dimension. If we were in the locker room, we just might find that Rau is the team's second most important player to W/Ls after Wilcox.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Even if that's true, there's still the locker room leadership dimension. If we were in the locker room, we just might find that Rau is the team's second most important player to W/Ls after Wilcox.
            Maybe... maybe not on that last sentence. Always tough to judge on the intangibles. Especially when we don't know whether somebody else steps up and fills the void just as effectively if a guy leaves.

It's not that I don't appreciate the guy. I do. But I'm simply leery of how we've seen a number of situations where guys with one foot out the door don't always tend to reach the expectations of their final season.
            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              Given how well it worked out for Kloos, I'd rather keep Sheehy playing a big role in the USHL as opposed to a smaller role at the U.

I think it would be wise to bring in Ramsey if it was necessary to add another guy up front.
              University of Minnesota

Comment

Maybe... maybe not on that last sentence. Always tough to judge on the intangibles. Especially when we don't know whether somebody else steps up and fills the void just as effectively if a guy leaves.

It's not that I don't appreciate the guy. I do. But I'm simply leery of how we've seen a number of situations where guys with one foot out the door don't always tend to reach the expectations of their final season.
                I see it as one of two scenarios:

1. Florida has put a basic offer out there...and Rau is trying to make it work or even negotiate
                2. ...or Florida is pushing for him to join...and his heart is telling him to stay

Big difference in what Rau looks like in a 2014/15 gopher jersey.
                Last edited by 5mn_Major; 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

May be especially true with Rau, whose biggest assets (IMO) are his heart and all-out effort. If those assets are not at 100%+, he may very well not reach expectations in his final season.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    May be especially true with Rau, whose biggest assets (IMO) are his heart and all-out effort. If those assets are not at 100%+, he may very well not reach expectations in his final season.
                    What??? The guys game has been defined his whole life by the heart he plays with. For competitors like that, a will to win in is their genes. I would bet he plays scrabble with the feeling he HAS TO WIN. We all know these type of people. That will not suddenly diminish. If he comes back it is either because he wants to win an NC very badly or partly because he doesn't get the offer he would like. Either way, he will want to win. In the first case, he will play his ***** off to win that NC. In the second, he will have the added incentive to show Florida their mistake and open the option for waiting and becoming a free agent. This is Kyle Rau, not Kyle Okposo, we're talking about. Guys like him just want to win all the time. I'm not the least worried about how he will play if he returns. I desperately want him to return because that effort brings out that type of play from others on the team by example.

Comment

Koho, I don't disagree with anything you're saying and do hope you are 100% right. Notice in my post I used the words "may" and "if" which was just adding to what Hammy was saying.

Comment

Gophers hockey officially adds two more to incoming freshman class

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/261895961.html

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Koho, I don't disagree with anything you're saying and do hope you are 100% right. Notice in my post I used the words "may" and "if" which was just adding to what Hammy was saying.
                          Wasn't just replying to you, but to the whole discussion, so probably more to hammy.

I mainly hope Rau returns.

Comment

Sports are littered with examples of players not achieving what people would expect because their mind isn't in the right place (for whatever reasons). Even among the very best on the planet in their sport. Rau isn't immune to that possibility. But I never said he would absolutely fall prey to that. Just that I am always leery of these circumstances.
                            University of Minnesota

Comment

I think Koho is right. Should he return, I'm not at all concerned about Rau's fearless intensity, grit and compete level that have essentially defined his game. My concern in the past has always been his perennial tendencies for long scoring droughts. But if Rau says he'll wear the "M" for another season...I have no doubt he's in 110% with guns blazing.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                I think Koho is right. Should he return, I'm not at all concerned about Rau's fearless intensity, grit and compete level that have essentially defined his game. My concern in the past has always been his perennial tendencies for long scoring droughts. But if Rau says he'll wear the "M" for another season...I have no doubt he's in 110% with guns blazing.
                                You know I've been thinking a bit more about this. I hear what your saying about Rau's intensity.

But frankly perhaps there is a greater concern. Rau has been captain and has the potential to be the leader in the locker room. And with him apparently taking so long to make up his mind...he starts to give the appearance that he's not quite so committed and that has the potential of carrying over to the locker room if he does return. In other words, players starting to wonder whether our 14/15 captain is so committed.

This may seem a stretch...but I don't think it is any moreso than him having a less than stellar next year on ice and locker room chemistry is a fickle thing.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X