Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Gophers men's hockey team not hurt by early departures yet

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...260497901.html
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Gophers men's hockey team not hurt by early departures yet

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...260497901.html

Mike Reilly is definitely returning next season

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        Mike Reilly is definitely returning next season[/URL].
        Yep, great news for Gopher fans - and the team!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/261000151.html

Comment

So uh... we're not RPI. *sigh*

http://www.ritathletics.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=346

*cough* http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...key-sched.html
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Yep, great news for Gopher fans - and the team!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/261000151.html
            So, first he writes 'Reilly was the only one considered a risk for early depature'.. Then writes 'Rau, Skjei and Wilcox are all risks, but Wilcox has already said he is returning'.

From another article earlier, there was a quote from Skjei about hoping everyone would return, which i took to mean he wasn't likely leaving. In the same article, there was a quote from Rau about needing to make a decision. So, does that mean Rau is the only one who still has some potential to leave, albeit, betting money is on him staying?

Comment

Koho, although I can't vouch for its accuracy, there is some good discussion on this in the HighSchoolHockeyForums, under College Hockey ('GOPHERS 2014-2015' thread). In it Gopher Blog, who claims to have inside information, maintains that "Rau is still seriously debating his choice."

Comment

Since I am "Gopher Blog" over on the HS board...

Yes, Rau is still debating his decision. This info coming from the same source that told me about Reilly returning the day before they announced it. In fact, he told me both things simultaneously. Obviously the Reilly info was accurate so I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the Rau info.

I'd also point out that Rau would be a returning captain. Given that fact... If Rau had already made a definitive decision to return as captain again, he'd likely get a press release just like Reilly did (whose status as a returning 1st team all-American was worthy of a press release).
                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Koho, although I can't vouch for its accuracy, there is some good discussion on this in the HighSchoolHockeyForums, under College Hockey ('GOPHERS 2014-2015' thread). In it Gopher Blog, who claims to have inside information, maintains that "Rau is still seriously debating his choice."
                  I have to interpret that to mean that Florida has offered him everything they are allowed to offer. Maybe I'm being a bit too romantic about it, but I don't think Rau would consider leaving early unless it was a full pot.

That's a bit surprising to me. I have a hard time seeing him as an NHL-caliber player next season. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think he is a very valuable player to have, but pretty much everything that makes him good comes from attitude, fortitude and will. He's not that great a skater. He's not that great a passer. He's not that great a stickhandler. He's not that great a shooter. He's small. If I were an NHL scout I would have a hard time justifying making a push for him.

This post probably comes off a bit harsh, I don't mean it that way. Like I said, I have a ton of respect for Rau as a player. I just don't see any of the tangible elements in his game that NHL clubs are looking for in prospects.

No matter what happens I wish the kid well, and won't be surprised if he eventually is able to have some success in the NHL some day simply because of his grit, compete and attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    I have to interpret that to mean that Florida has offered him everything they are allowed to offer. Maybe I'm being a bit too romantic about it, but I don't think Rau would consider leaving early unless it was a full pot.

That's a bit surprising to me. I have a hard time seeing him as an NHL-caliber player next season. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think he is a very valuable player to have, but pretty much everything that makes him good comes from attitude, fortitude and will. He's not that great a skater. He's not that great a passer. He's not that great a stickhandler. He's not that great a shooter. He's small. If I were an NHL scout I would have a hard time justifying making a push for him.

This post probably comes off a bit harsh, I don't mean it that way. Like I said, I have a ton of respect for Rau as a player. I just don't see any of the tangible elements in his game that NHL clubs are looking for in prospects.

No matter what happens I wish the kid well, and won't be surprised if he eventually is able to have some success in the NHL some day simply because of his grit, compete and attitude.
                    I agree that I don't see Rau stepping in as a major contributor in the NHL, much less even playing there without more development. He makes a great college player and has NHL potential, but I wouldn't bet on him being a regular next season. However, I also didn't think Haula would rise as fast as he did. And there are plenty of players who looked ready for the NHL but never did as well as expected. The point is, teams take chances on more players than will end up playing because some will excel more than some expected and others will fall short. Rau has the attitude to be a position player in the NHL in a league full of guys who were all stars at one time.

However, I hope he takes into consideration that next year's team could be something special. If they were to win an NC with all his friends on the team, that will be a memory more valuable than anything he can buy. I hope he returns, as he would be a big part of what should be a very, very good team. And more importantly, I want to see another NC for the Gophers, and my wishes should take precedent over any of his life goals.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Rau already has the greatest Minnesota hockey memory of all. Winning the High School Hockey Tournament. I could see where since he already graduated he would seriously consider moving on.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Rau already has the greatest Minnesota hockey memory of all. Winning the High School Hockey Tournament. I could see where since he already graduated he would seriously consider moving on.
                        But think how awesome it would be for him to add an NCAA title to his high school state championship.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Always a ray of optimism, this one.

Comment

Call me an optimist, but I think of all of the possible early defections, Rau leaving would have the least potential impact. Yes, you can't replace that kind of leadership and playmaking easily, but it is possible. Someone could step in and fill that role. I think that Reilly or Wilcox and Sjei would have been far greater losses to the program next year.

And I know they haven't all announced their intentions, but I am just thinking out loud here.

Comment

From Fox Sports Florida

Kyle Rau (2011, third round, 91st overall)

The 91st overall pick by the Panthers in the 2011 draft, forward Kyle Rau may look to join his former University of Minnesota teammate, Nick Bjugstad, with the Panthers this summer.

A gifted offensive talent, Rau has compiled 123 points (47-76-123) in three seasons with the Gophers, scoring 40 or more points in each season.

Rau's junior season in Minnesota ended in heartbreak as the Gophers fell to Union 7-4 in the championship game of the 2014 Frozen Four in Philadelphia.

Though the allure of another chance at a Frozen Four championship could pull Rau back to Minnesota for his senior season, there is a strong possibility that he signs with the Panthers this offseason.

Comment

Word I am hearing is we probably won't know on Rau until after Florida's developmental camp.

I don't know what it is but I almost feel like when the decision becomes this dragged out, if the player returns he doesn't seem to have as good of a season. Almost like he was mentally a little bit out of the door but then decided to come back... but his game doesn't completely come back with him. I wouldn't mind Rau proving me wrong though.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X