Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Based on his spotty performance last year I didn't see him becoming a top 9 forward this coming season. His leaving will only open up more ice time for the incoming frosh, who appear to have more potential to develop into top-6 forwards, so his absence should prove to be a good thing.
    Of course its all speculation. But some players take a step back after their frosh year...and others a big step up. Having said that I'm sure you're right about Gabe's ability to crack the top 9...but not because of Guertler's talent, but because the gophers have the best top 9 forwards they've had since our NCs (and perhaps much longer).

Bristedt will get the same focus/patience that Cammarata received this year because of his track record...and subsequently, will be near the top of the line up. Alternatively, Guertler's departure hurt our depth on the fourth line. Yet based on the outcome, there is almost no level of talent at which keeping Guertler was a wise choice.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Based on his spotty performance last year I didn't see him becoming a top 9 forward this coming season. His leaving will only open up more ice time for the incoming frosh, who appear to have more potential to develop into top-6 forwards, so his absence should prove to be a good thing.
      I think Gabe would have been a top 6 forward by the time he became a senior (of course, some of that depends on how other guys perform too). However, we would be making the assumption he would keep his nose clean in order to do that. I don't think it has much impact on the program though. He was likely going to play the same role this year as he did last year and they'll have time to replace his talent for the future. He was on a pretty significant scholarship.
      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

I agree, they can lose to a small eastern school just as easily without him as with him

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          I agree, they can lose to a small eastern school just as easily without him as with him
          And they can beat some team with no name just as well without him as with him.

Comment

Bored.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

I realize this is the men's site, but no one is talking, so Did the women's team lose much from last year? I know Kessel is returning. Will they be the favorite?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                Will they be the favorite?
                I would say yes, definitely, in the WCHA, although Wisconsin should pose more of a serious challenge with a very strong incoming freshmen class. Beyond the WCHA, if all goes well with no serious injuries in the 2nd half, I would certainly favor the Gophers to advance to the Frozen Four, which they will host at Ridder Arena on March 20-22. Losing Terry, Davis and Gillanders to graduation will be hard to replace, but Kessel and Stecklein coming in off the Olympic team plus a promising freshmen class gives them the potential to be even stronger than last season. That said, several other teams should improve even more, this being the first year after the Olympics when many of those players return to their college teams.

I'm looking forward to both the men's and women's teams having great seasons in 2014-15. The ultimate would be for both to bring home a NCAA Championship.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I realize this is the men's site, but no one is talking, so Did the women's team lose much from last year? I know Kessel is returning. Will they be the favorite?
                  I would take that much further. I think the Gopher women's team this year should be the most favored and dominant team in college hockey in a generation.

1. The Gophers are following up on easily best record in hockey 38-2-0.
                  2. Yes, Terry and Davis are significant losses. But incoming frosh include Pannek a rare 100 pt. scorer at a city school playing tough competition, Baldwin Ms. Hockey MN which is says even more than it does for the men, and Piazza who folks compare to a national POTY finalist from two years ago. The team has been stocking the best talent in the country for several years now.
                  3. Most everyone else returns. 8 of the top ten scorers. And Warning as our 2nd leading scorer on the men's team had points that would have placed him at 10th on the women's team.
                  4. Arguably the best player in the world is rejoining the women's team, Amanda Kessel. She has been college hockey's women player of the year, has already put up seasonal numbers in college that rival the all time greats, and led the Gophers to an undefeated season (which is extremely rare in any sport). And as this was two years ago, she's probably better since playing world's best on the Olympics. She is being joined by Lee Stecklein...who was also good enough to make the Olympics and has been playing the world's best for a year.

I get a bit wound up by this team...but although its a seemingly impossibility, on paper this team is better than the team that went 62 games unbeaten.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    I would take that much further. I think the Gopher women's team this year should be the most favored and dominant team in college hockey in a generation.

1. The Gophers are following up on easily best record in hockey 38-2-0.
                    2. Yes, Terry and Davis are significant losses. But incoming frosh include Pannek a rare 100 pt. scorer at a city school playing tough competition, Baldwin Ms. Hockey MN which is says even more than it does for the men, and Piazza who folks compare to a national POTY finalist from two years ago. The team has been stocking the best talent in the country for several years now.
                    3. Most everyone else returns. 8 of the top ten scorers. And Warning as our 2nd leading scorer on the men's team had points that would have placed him at 10th on the women's team.
                    4. Arguably the best player in the world is rejoining the women's team, Amanda Kessel. She has been college hockey's women player of the year, has already put up seasonal numbers in college that rival the all time greats, and led the Gophers to an undefeated season (which is extremely rare in any sport). And as this was two years ago, she's probably better since playing world's best on the Olympics. She is being joined by Lee Stecklein...who was also good enough to make the Olympics and has been playing the world's best for a year.

I get a bit wound up by this team...but although its a seemingly impossibility, on paper this team is better than the team that went 62 games unbeaten.
                    I am a very very casual fan, and that last statement could very well be true. We lost some, but gained (and re-gained) more. That's just scary.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      I am a very very casual fan, and that last statement could very well be true. We lost some, but gained (and re-gained) more. That's just scary.
                      it all.
                      Casual too. But I could tolerate double NC's if it came to that!

Also, I can't help but think I am to blame for no NC's for the men the last two years. Both years I was out of town for the NC weekend (Actually out of country for whole tourney last year.). Knowing it just wouldn't quite be the same watching the NC via recording, I think the hockey God's prevented the Gophs from winning it all. This year, there are no plans for travel around that time so the Gophs should be free to take home the hardware.

Comment

Top 10 Gopher plays of all time?

Good...but I'd move the Broten and Kessel goals up.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/7...broten-wheeler
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Top 10 Gopher plays of all time?

Good...but I'd move the Broten and Kessel goals up.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/7...broten-wheeler
                          Yeah, Broton's should be 1 or 2. I put at 1 with combo of importance and the goal would be memorable any time based on the play he made.

Comment

Yeah, Broton's should be 1 or 2. I put at 1 with combo of importance and the goal would be memorable any time based on the play he made.
                            Holy Cross goal wouldn't be in my top 10. Maybe I repressed it. The loss I won't forget, but nothing about goal stands out. I remember the OT goal by Yale better, due to way puck seemed to stick behind net and the way it happened so quickly in OT. Lerg and Kessel goals are more memorable than HC goal. Okposo goal between legs too.

Comment

Yeah. HC and Lerg goals should be in their own category. Okposo's could definitely be there. In my mind, the Broten goal clip is so steeped in MN legend...I'd put it on top.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Middle of 2nd page??????? So much for the good old days of USCHO....

Can anyone tell me what the goal post rule actually calls for?

Comment

Working...
                                X