Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    So now we're counting them out if they don't get drafted? I only wish the Union players knew their proper roles last season.
    Doesn't the U get bonus points for number of drafted players?

My point about the draft is, with MN players, we have plenty of chance to judge expectations before they arrive with all the news we get. But when we take a foreigner that we never heard of before MN got his commitment, we would like to think that we are giving him a spot because he is so good he will have an immediate impact, like the last couple Europeans. And seeing him drafted high, while no assurance of how he will play, gives us fans a confirmation that others think he has tons of potential, besides the quotes we hear from Gopher staff saying how happy they are. Not a big deal either way, but it is nice to see. That is all.

Comment

Ryan Collins Post-NHL Pick Interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        But when we take a foreigner that we never heard of before MN got his commitment, we would like to think that we are giving him a spot because he is so good he will have an immediate impact, like the last couple Europeans.
        Not sure Haula really makes your point for you. He wasn't all that far from going undrafted himself. 7th rounders are a crapshoot.

Not to mention, Vanek/Haula had the luxury of playing in the U.S. beforehand so they weren't completely unknown either. Even before they committed there was plenty of chatter about them.

If I were a player, I'd rather go undrafted and take my shot as a UFA than be a 7th rounder and have only one option.

Nate Schmidt... another undrafted kid. Turned out OK.
        Last edited by Hammy; 07-01-2014, 10:05 AM.
        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

But when we take a foreigner that we never heard of before MN got his commitment, we would like to think that we are giving him a spot because he is so good he will have an immediate impact, like the last couple Europeans. And seeing him drafted high, while no assurance of how he will play, gives us fans a confirmation that others think he has tons of potential, besides the quotes we hear from Gopher staff saying how happy they are.
          Don't know where you're coming from on this...but my assumption is that you may not be aware of Mr. Bristedt's credentials. There are others here that are skeptical...so I will give a bit of background from a reputable source OTB.net:

In fact, Bristedt could actually be one of the biggest commits out of Europe yet, as he really breaks the mold – this isn’t a skater who was doing “pretty good” overseas. He’s leading Sweden’s top U20 circuit as an 18 year old (our closest equivalent would be the USHL, but most players there move right on to pro teams) with 17 goals and 15 assists in 32 games, but arguably more important: he’s been on the radar for a long time. Bristedt has been skating internationally for the Tre Kronor since 2010, and was putting up serious points back then, too. In the 2012 World U17′s, he led the entire tournament in goal-scoring (7 in 6 games), well-outperforming prospects including Jonathan Drouin (CHL MVP, 3rd 2013 NHL pick overall), Sam Reinhart (2nd 2014 NHL pick overall), Leon Draisatl (3rd 2014 NHL pick overall), and JT Compher (Big Ten's 5th leading scorer as just a freshman) - not to forget future teammate Hudson Fasching. That touches on what’s probably the biggest storyline of Bristedt’s decision to head to Minneapolis: his decision not to go pro right now.

http://overtheboards.net/isnt-it-obv...ot-recruiting/
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Well the Wild now have four former Gophers after adding Vanek and Bickel today. I doubt Bickel will see much time.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Bickel was another undrafted Gopher who after his freshman season was pursued by Anaheim in 2008 and signed a three year deal. Never thought I'd see him in a Wild uni. Some interesting names on this CHART of undrafted NHL talent and dark horse NHL selections.

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but given the likely return of all of last year's players + the quality of the incoming class I don't recall ever being as optimistic about the prospects of any Gopher squad as I am about this one. Yes, some things like injuries can and probably will occur along the way, but certainly along with all the talent it would appear that we'll have the needed depth to overcome most anything that should get into the way. While it's way to early to make any predictions this should be a VERY good season for Gopher men's hockey.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

If Rau comes back I'll be that optimistic.

Comment

THE COUNTDOWN HAS BEGUN. Only 100 days until Gopher Hockey...RAH!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      I don't know about you guys, but given the likely return of all of last year's players + the quality of the incoming class I don't recall ever being as optimistic about the prospects of any Gopher squad as I am about this one. Yes, some things like injuries can and probably will occur along the way, but certainly along with all the talent it would appear that we'll have the needed depth to overcome most anything that should get into the way. While it's way to early to make any predictions this should be a VERY good season for Gopher men's hockey.
                      Indeed...my guess is with Florida signing Grimaldi to an ELC, Rau will stay another season. Grimaldi will probably start with the San Antonio Rampage, but as in the case of Vincent Trocheck (another smaller player @ 5'8") this past season – if Grimaldi excels, he may get called up as well.
                      Last edited by HarleyMC; 07-03-2014, 12:25 AM.

Comment

“The best thing I’ve done in my career so far was win the NCAA championship with the Gophers. So to be a part of the Wild now and go after the big prize and having a chance to do it in Minnesota is beyond my WILDest dreams.” - Thomas Vanek

Comment

Personally never thought Brady Skjei was a flight risk but he confirmed his return to the Gophers today.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            Personally never thought Brady Skjei was a flight risk but he confirmed his return to the Gophers today.
                            Yeah, seems like there was a quote from him a month or so ago that made it sound he had already decided that. Was surprised to see the quote in the paper confirming it.

Comment

Skjei was more of a risk than is being discussed here. The NYR wanted him to sign. They made that clear. Fortunately, he's patient.

Grimaldi's signing is irrelevant to Rau's decision. If Grimaldi was any kind of a key factor, Rau already would have made his decision and the school would have announced it. He'll decide after their prospect camp.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Yeah, seems like there was a quote from him a month or so ago that made it sound he had already decided that. Was surprised to see the quote in the paper confirming it.
                                You're probably referring to this quote in the Trib:

“It’d be nice if everyone could come back for another year,” defenseman Brady Skjei said. “If we get everyone back and make another run, that’d be awesome. That’s one thing I’d like to do, and that could affect my decision.”
                                From that quote, it appeared to me as well that he was leaning towards staying on for another season.

Comment

Working...
                                X