Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Is this a done deal? Or a done deal that needs money to change to NHL ice?
    Done deal. Money is there via private donations.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Will the rink size be altered before the start of the upcoming season?
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        With the new arenas/renovations going up around the college hockey scene, the Gophers staff says its team areas (locker rooms, weight room) are now among the lower half of the Big Ten. As far as rink size is concerned, they're already on contract for a new refrig. system and locating a pre-design consultant for exact plans by the end of this month. Only guessing, but it seems feasible this will be done before the season starts.

"Kids go on a recruiting visit and, you know what, facilities are extremely important," Lucia said on his weekly show. "You want to be able to have kids come in and look through your arena and have a little bit of that 'wow' factor."

Comment

I thought I had heard not for a few years at least.

Comment

The only wow factor the Gophers should need is the mural. Cripes kids are entitled these days. I mean I get it that that's the way it is now, but I don't have to like it.
            /grumpyoldman

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              My firm was recently competing for the design contract. If it has not yet been designed, there is no way it will be installed before the season, so not this year.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                My firm was recently competing for the design contract. If it has not yet been designed, there is no way it will be installed before the season, so not this year.
                Thanks, goldy, for that bit of information. I suppose too the progress of the fundraising enters into just how quickly this aspect of the renovation gets done, as this would appear to be the most expensive component of all the improvements they're making.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                  I didn't think the money was fully raised yet, but l perhaps that update has been passed with new info.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    I didn't think the money was fully raised yet, but l perhaps that update has been passed with new info.
                    I believe i remember reading that they have raised $8 million thru private donation (primarily from alums), but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      I believe i remember reading that they have raised $8 million thru private donation (primarily from alums), but I could be wrong.
                      I thought I saw that, too, but haven't been paying close attention.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        The only wow factor the Gophers should need is the mural. Cripes kids are entitled these days. I mean I get it that that's the way it is now, but I don't have to like it.
                        /grumpyoldman
                        Relax....wooden sticks are making a comeback.

Comment

Out of curiosity, I checked on how much time it took construction crews to reduce the rink size at the Verizon Wireless Center in Mankato last year. They started pouring concrete on Aug. 21 and by Aug. 31 the rink was done, a new refrigeration system had been installed and new seats throughout the arena were being installed. If the money is there the Mariucci renovation could happen rather quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            Out of curiosity, I checked on how much time it took construction crews to reduce the rink size at the Verizon Wireless Center in Mankato last year. They started pouring concrete on Aug. 21 and by Aug. 31 the rink was done, a new refrigeration system had been installed and new seats throughout the arena were being installed. If the money is there the Mariucci renovation could happen rather quickly.
                            Interesting. Thanks for looking that up Harley. With the Mariucci rennovations, they'll be revamping the locker rooms, weight room, and team areas as well. Wonder how that will effect the timeline? It would be interesting to learn the complete scope of the project and what the timeline will be.

Comment

This would be a University of Minnesota project, not a City of Mankato project. If you've ever been involved in a U project you'll understand the term "glacial pace."

Comment

The rink size won't be changing this off-season.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X