Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
    Definitely. This was a dream season. Should we start a count down to our first game?
    Great idea. Any volunteers? (I don't always have Internet access during the summer.)
    Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
      Great idea. Any volunteers? (I don't always have Internet access during the summer.)
      Maybe we can hire Ralph. When is the first game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        Maybe we can hire Ralph. When is the first game?
        to be the porter in the mens room maybe, anything above that he wouldnt qualify. Even that would be a reach. Similar to an RPI student trying to get accepted at Union

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
          Is anyone else going through hockey withdrawal?
          Well, you could always watch this again ..
          http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/...ize/condensed/

Still having a hard time putting in perspective what happened two weeks ago. I NEVER thought I would ever be in a "sea of garnet" with 18,000 hockey fans watching Union successfully play in a Frozen Four with 3 of the greatest programs in NCAA history. 3 fantastic hockey games and a once in a lifetime experience. The fans I met from Minny, UND & BC were mostly (Got6 ) just the opposite of tArrogant, and to me the real victory was the respect that Union earned this season from people across all of college hockey. There have been a lot of great posts here and things written in the press about the tortured history of Union hockey, and I especially appreciated the mentioning of Charlie Morrison and his contributions. He was the coach when I was at Union, and I remember his Navy seal like preseason training sessions and first practice with what seemed like a hundred players on the ice. He may not have been all-time greatest coach, but he took a program at an absolutely ground-zero nadir and through hard work and commitment to doing things the right way turned it into a highly respected DIII program that the school could be proud of. Amazing how far it all has come.. this end of season satisfaction thing is strange territory.

As for next season, the bottom line is that the team will not be as good as the one we just saw. Losing some of the best players in Union's history will do that:
          Best player - Ghost
          Best 2 D-men - Ghost & Bodie
          Best Forward - Carr
          Fastest Skater/Best penalty killer - Hatch
          Best 4th Liner (and my personal FAV) - Ikky
          One of the best playmakers - Sullivan

Also need to keep tabs on possible pro signings over the summer. My biggest worries are Vecchione and Gingras. Vecks really came on as the season progressed and essentially went from 3rd liner to 1st line center & main faceoff man. His skill set really stands out and I have to believe someone at the upper levels is taking note. Gingras also progressed really nicely this season and was more quietly outstanding the last 3 months of the season. Given that his father was a pro and he has some size, could be some interest. Ciampini, Stevens and Novak could also be getting consideration, though I think they are somewhat longer shots. Personally, I think all these players would do well to have another season under the belts and hope for another exciting season next fall.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Mike Vecchione isn't going anywhere. Great talent but good head on shoulders. He'll be a 4 year player at Union.
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
              Mike Vecchione isn't going anywhere. Great talent but good head on shoulders. He'll be a 4 year player at Union.
              Zero chance leaving but not as sure on 4 year deal, would say 50/50 at best and if had to bet would say stay, mainly because it will be a lot toughr without carr etc.
              sullivan sas the perfect grinder, not a true playmaker. Has gone hard to net since he was 7 or 8

going to florida and mn wild dev camps.

Comment

[QUOTE=ADK11;5952274]Well, you could always watch this again ..
                http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/...ize/condensed/

Thanks for the link. I'm sure I will!
                Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                  As for next season, the bottom line is that the team will not be as good as the one we just saw.
                  Well I can't argue with the logic, both my head and heart tell me this is true. On the other hand, I will NEVER sell this program short again. I thought last season would be a rebuilding one, and I think predicted a fourth place league finish, but felt that by season's end, we had a good chance of jelling and three peating. The one constant with this program is RB and hopefully the rest of his staff will remain intact. "Sticking to the Process" may seem trite, but look where it got us. There will be high expectations next season within the program from the top down, and I for one relish the challenge of more great accomplishments, maybe not a NC, but surpassing expectations.
                  Last edited by Wholin1; 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Why would we want a count down to the first game? That's a trademark of Brand X. I see no reason to copy the guys from Troy. We need to set ourselves apart from Brand X.

Comment

"Gingras also progressed really nicely this season and was more quietly outstanding the last 3 months of the season. Given that his father was a pro and he has some size, could be some interest"

Gingras is a top neurosci student, he's staying
                      Last edited by Nottme; 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cudmud View Post
                        I see no reason to copy the guys from Troy. We need to set ourselves apart from Brand X.
                        Mission accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                          Great talent but good head on shoulders. He'll be a 4 year player
                          Does this mean that great talents who leave after 3 years have bad heads on their shoulders?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackbear80 View Post
                            Does this mean that great talents who leave after 3 years have bad heads on their shoulders?
                            Nope
                            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Besides the bookstore, is there any place to buy Union hockey jerseys?
                              Union College Hockey
                              2014 NCAA National Champions
                              2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                                Besides the bookstore, is there any place to buy Union hockey jerseys?
                                Union College wore Minnesota-made jerseys while beating Gophers for hockey title
                                http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...eys-while.html

Union College wore jerseys made by a Twin Cities company while beating the University of Minnesota for the NCAA Division I men's hockey championship Saturday.
                                Edina-based Gemini Athletic Wear Inc. manufactures Union's jerseys, and the company's "GA" logo was clearly visible on Union's uniforms during Saturday night's nationally televised game.

http://www.geminiathletic.com/

In two months the Book Store should have 150 Adults. These are not going to be the actual authentic (double stitch with the letters and number of a senior, like Ghosts Jersey) but you will not be able to tell much difference. The Book Store will have both colors and various adult sizes. I will continue researching this but to buy other than the bookstore, there are going to be trademark issues so will need the schools permission, minimum orders and the are not cheap. More later.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 04-29-2014, 01:39 PM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X