Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Things Denver XXXVIII: On To Better Days!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVIII: On To Better Days!

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Please indulge an old man's pride: My great nephew has just accepted an appointment to the Air Force Academy. This all came about very suddenly. He took an official recruiting visit to the Springs this past weekend. Their offensive coordinator spent an hour on the phone with his mom Saturday morning. He's a high character kid with a 3.9 gpa. He's also 6'4" 285. A two time all stater in AZ with his senior year to go, and can bench 365. Stanford had been his number one choice. But the AFA guys must have really sold him. He looked up what a newly commissioned Second Lieutenant makes and concluded it's a pretty good entry level salary and benefits package, combined with a guaranteed job.

I just wish he could skate. I've fantasized about him delivering life altering checks in the slot. "Ladies and gentlemen, there will be this brief time out while the medical examiner collects the remains." I'll tell him about Frank, of course, but he's never been on skates in his life.

Anyway, back to the relevant stuff.
    Congrats!!!! Break out the Crown Royal!!!!
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      Congrats!!!! Break out the Crown Royal!!!!
      An interesting factor in his decision: he is only 2 credits shy of graduation and had planned to spend his senior year taking two classes, working his job and playing football. But the Stanford position coach made a big deal about how he should take AP courses (probably a help to them in working out a player's class schedule). But this is what the kid wanted to do. Had planned on doing. And to some extent, it soured him on Stanford. Now Stanford is a wonderful school. But the AFA ain't exactly chopped liver. Plus, there's all that extra stuff you have to go through at an academy. He's a winner. And takes after his great uncle in no way at all.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Please indulge an old man's pride: My great nephew has just accepted an appointment to the Air Force Academy. This all came about very suddenly. He took an official recruiting visit to the Springs this past weekend. Their offensive coordinator spent an hour on the phone with his mom Saturday morning. He's a high character kid with a 3.9 gpa. He's also 6'4" 285. A two time all stater in AZ with his senior year to go, and can bench 365. Stanford had been his number one choice. But the AFA guys must have really sold him. He looked up what a newly commissioned Second Lieutenant makes and concluded it's a pretty good entry level salary and benefits package, combined with a guaranteed job.

I just wish he could skate. I've fantasized about him delivering life altering checks in the slot. "Ladies and gentlemen, there will be this brief time out while the medical examiner collects the remains." I'll tell him about Frank, of course, but he's never been on skates in his life.

Congrats to the young man. You have to be far more than a premier athlete to get in to the Academy. Having Stanford as your "safety" school, not bad at all.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Larkin Jacobson and Greg Ogard recognized as Hornbeck Scholars/Dean's List for perfect 4.0 spring quarter. Gabe Levin with GPA of 3.75 or better but not 4.0 had to settle for the Dean's List, poor baby.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
            Congrats to the young man. You have to be far more than a premier athlete to get in to the Academy. Having Stanford as your "safety" school, not bad at all.
            I hadn't thought of it that way. It seems like maybe Stanford sh*t in their own chili with this young man. Although what drives a kid to a service academy may not always be visible. May not even be something he's aware of. The folks at the Academy obviously found it last week.

https://twitter.com/ryan_delung/media
            Last edited by Old Pio; 07-23-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

We've lost Rick Callahan, who went from the Galesburg Silver Streaks to DU. He and Harry Hollines were DU's first black/white roommate combination. Rick was a solid if unspectacular back court guy, the perfect compliment to Harry's hot shooting. Harry, of course, is still DU's all time leading scorer and one of nature's true noblemen. Rick got a law degree from DU, was a youth coach and worked very hard over the years to deal with racial problems. Apart from being a fan, I shared with Rick the distinction of being one of only two DU undergraduates allowed to rent an apartment in Cypress Towers (at least according to the land lady).

RIP Rick. And thanks
              Last edited by Old Pio; 07-24-2014, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Cheverie headed to Scotland

http://dundeestars.com/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=809
                University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  We've lost Rick Callahan, who went from the Galesburg Silver Streaks to DU. He and Harry Hollines were DU's first black/white roommate combination. Rick was a solid if unspectacular back court guy, the perfect compliment to Harry's hot shooting. Harry, of course, is still DU's all time leading scorer and one of nature's true noblemen. Rick got a law degree from DU, was a youth coach and worked very hard over the years to deal with racial problems. Apart from being a fan, I shared with Rick the distinction of being one of only two DU undergraduates allowed to rent an

in Cypress Towers (at least according to the land lady).

RIP Rick. And thanks
                  Sorry to hear about RC. I got to know him when he was at DU Law. He lived with Doug Funk who is still a friend. I'll give Doug the sad news. Doug lives in Mexico on the beach.

Comment

• Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                    Sorry to hear about RC. I got to know him when he was at DU Law. He lived with Doug Funk who is still a friend. I'll give Doug the sad news. Doug lives in Mexico on the beach.
                    OldPio, Doug is very upset. 68. Doug may join USCHO To get info from you. They were tight, but I bet you know that. Doug wrote that Rick had been in his dreams for about a week. If you. Are on Facebook, you can write Doug Funk. RIP RC. RICK treated me like a old friend the first time we met. I think it was at a card game at their house.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                      OldPio, Doug is very upset. 68. Doug may join USCHO To get info from you. They were tight, but I bet you know that. Doug wrote that Rick had been in his dreams for about a week. If you. Are on Facebook, you can write Doug Funk. RIP RC. RICK treated me like a old friend the first time we met. I think it was at a card game at their house.
                      I may have unintentionally misled when I mentioned that Rick and I lived in Cypress Towers. We did, but not together. We knew each other. My experiences with him mirrored yours: just a great guy in every sense of the word. A class act who made DU a better place through his presence.

I learned of Rick's passing from the DU website.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports...072214aae.html
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 07-25-2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Now this feels like a good reason to make the drive down to the Springs for an AFA football game!
                        Last edited by duper; 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                          Now this feels like a good reason to make the drive down to the Springs for an AFA football game!
                          Apres at the Golden Bee?

Comment

Apres at the Golden Bee?
                            Where else would you go?
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Just finished my daily workout at CFC. On my way out to the parking lot I walked through Magness Arena. I can report that over the weekend the compressors were turned off and the sheet of ice was removed. This afternoon removal of the current center-ice-overhead-video-screen began in prepartion for the installation of the new video board. There is other work which will be done relating to the boards surrounding the rink. Looks like it will be mid-to-late August before all work is completed and a new sheet of ice is in place.
                              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                                Just finished my daily workout at CFC. On my way out to the parking lot I walked through Magness Arena. I can report that over the weekend the compressors were turned off and the sheet of ice was removed. This afternoon removal of the current center-ice-overhead-video-screen began in prepartion for the installation of the new video board. There is other work which will be done relating to the boards surrounding the rink. Looks like it will be mid-to-late August before all work is completed and a new sheet of ice is in place.
                                Wonder of there will be a pro camp this summer?
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X