UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
    You're right, I was being too politically correct. I didn't like his game before that hit, and I like it even less now.
    Looks like Rinaldo might be getting off light... Which once again shows that embarrassing the NHL is a far bigger crime than the action itself (ignoring Avery's stunt which I believe was more about the Stars not wanting his problems anymore.)

These guys can spin it "oh my gosh" as much as they like. How can you not know you're going to crack the head. If it was about making a check you wouldn't look away.

Same old song and dance from this league.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Originally posted by WisemanFromUmass-Lowell View Post
      Will they be able to out-recruit BC? Probably not -- but I'll bet they'll win the occasional recruiting battle with them. (BU's another story -- I really believe that program will see a couple more less-than-stellar years as a result of the coaching turnover).
      Neither of those schools will lose a recruiting battle to Lowell. Just not going to happen.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        Neither of those schools will lose a recruiting battle to Lowell. Just not going to happen.
        I wouldn't rule it out, maybe BC but given the current struggles of BU and UML's recent success I don't think it's unreasonable for Lowell to pick up a few here and there out form under BU.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          I wouldn't rule it out, maybe BC but given the current struggles of BU and UML's recent success I don't think it's unreasonable for Lowell to pick up a few here and there out form under BU.
          Their history means a lot. Even after a horrendous year (for them), they have 4 NDPT recruits. And I don't expect BU to be down long.
          Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I think you guys have a lot to look forward to, but I'd agree with the statement that BC and BU aren't losing recruiting battles to Lowell (or UVM) going forward. They lose to each other, and maybe Minnesota. That's pretty much it and won't change. The talent is already rolling back in at BU...we'll see about the environmnent on the ice, but they will out recruit anyone and that goes for the future as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
              Their history means a lot. Even after a horrendous year (for them), they have 4 NDPT recruits. And I don't expect BU to be down long.
              I agree, unfortunately. Look at all the players Maine continued to get by reputation alone. Takes a long time for a reputation to fade.

On the other hand I think we can go into the corner on occasion and come out with the puck. Let's start winning battles against Maine and UNH. Both schools until proven otherwise are living off vapors of the past. We just won two league titles and three NCAA appearances.

Right now we've got the goods and until Maine completes its turnaround (assuming it does) I think we ought to be battling them.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Difference in opinion but I think history means way more to fans than it does to recruits. Especially today's kids. I think it's the coach that makes the most difference, followed by things like school, location, facility, current success of the program (not necessarily in any order). It's why good college coaches (in any sport) are successful wherever they go - kids want to play for them.
                Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Looks like Rinaldo might be getting off light... Which once again shows that embarrassing the NHL is a far bigger crime than the action itself (ignoring Avery's stunt which I believe was more about the Stars not wanting his problems anymore.)

These guys can spin it "oh my gosh" as much as they like. How can you not know you're going to crack the head. If it was about making a check you wouldn't look away.

Same old song and dance from this league.
                  Well he is having a hearing. I didn't hear if it was in person or over the phone, but I hope he gets suspended for a few games at least. Especially since Chad received a concussion from that hit. The NHL needs to crack down on things like this.
                  I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by WisemanFromUmass-Lowell View Post
                    I may be in the minority here but perhaps, as a long-timer, I have a bit of a different perspective.

In short, I see these current departures as a blip in the screen. Very different from years past from when the team has made a run and then lost a key player or few (Morris, Roloson, etc.) In those years, I never had any sort of confidence level that the program could hit another "high point" anytime soon after. I thought those years were lucky anomalies. I feel completely different now. I feel the school is very invested in the program (and those of us that remember President Hogan remember how bad it used to be), they have a facility and a program that they have now learned how to market properly, an excellent coach who is an alum and now some success. I think this becomes far more sustainable than many of you think. I think this is now an environment where people will want to play. Will they be able to out-recruit BC? Probably not -- but I'll bet they'll win the occasional recruiting battle with them. (BU's another story -- I really believe that program will see a couple more less-than-stellar years as a result of the coaching turnover).

So long story short: I really like where this program is and feel more confident about the success of the SYSTEM that's been created than I ever have......
                    This. Been around as long as Wiseman and I don't think the aura of success for the 'big' programs is like it was yrs ago. The culture that assumed the big programs were Godlike and preordained isn't gone but it isn't but it sure isn't what it used to be. The parity lately means any program is vulnerable on every given night, not just a fluke.

I agree BU is in for an interesting time with the coach change. Kid could chose BU and spend all their yrs of eligibility waiting for them to rebuild. At some point Jerry will need to retire too. It seems to me kids are a bit more flexible in how they think about what is best going to develop them and some of the advantage 'they' used to hold is diminished. IMHO I don't think all kids assume going to BU/BC is automatically the best choice for everyone.

Of course I am regularly told I know nothing about hockey so

Comment

I think it could happen. At least now there is a possibility where several years ago there was no chance. Here is how it could happen... let's say a recruit has been given offers to play at 3 schools: BC, BU, UML. Because of the coaching situation - BU may be ruled out. Now it is down to BC vs Lowell. BC may seem the outright obvious choice - stellar program that has national name recognition and is regularly playing in the NCAA tourney. They also have a great campus located on the outskirts of Boston. But Lowell has an established coach who is every bit as good, and maybe some day thought of as better than Coach York. The campus and facilities - while not the same as BC - are at least respectable. But it all comes down to the potential opportunity for the kid being recruited. If he sees himself as being far down on the BC depth chart... but higher up on the Lowell depth chart with a chance to make some noise... he could very well select Lowell. Big fish in a small pond vs small fish in a big pond.
                      University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
                        Big fish in a small pond vs small fish in a big pond.
                        Yes, all these things could happen, but I would seriously doubt they will. Not anytime soon.

BU's already reloading. Having arguably the top player in the country coming in will NOT hurt their recruiting going forward (think back to Marty Reasoner at BC). Yes, we have made some noise and we're probably more well-thought of than anytime before. But at the end of the day, kids like Liam Coughlin (decommit from UMass) still chooses to go to BU because that's the school he grew up loving. Playing in the Beanpot means a ton to these local kids, BTW. A lot more than I think we give it credit for (see NU's recruiting classes for the future, some major talent).

We have some very good things going for us. We're making in-roads into recruits that I doubt would have looked at us before. But we're still not recruiting anywhere near the level of the big programs (BU, BC, UND, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc). We can beat those teams on the ice, but beating them in a recruits house is very very different.

If you haven't seen the recruiting classes for the big-name programs, check it out. It's pretty sick (especially BC's right now with at least 6 NDTP recruits committed).

At the end of the day, there's still a reason that the major programs in college sports stay major programs. And no, it's not always the coaching staff. See USC in football the last couple of years, even with down years, the big names out there are still very interested in playing for that school.

There's nothing wrong with dreaming big. But we're a while away from that. Hell, we've pretty much heard Bazin say it himself in regards to recruiting.
                        Last edited by UMLFan; 04-07-2014, 01:30 PM.
                        Monty

Comment

http://www.lowellsun.com/obituaries/...es-at-pa-hotel

Pinette, Comedian, ULowell alum dead at 50

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            http://www.lowellsun.com/obituaries/...es-at-pa-hotel

Pinette, Comedian, ULowell alum dead at 50
                            Yup - good guy lived over in Bogus way back when I was in school. Saw him a couple of times doing standup and he was very funny. I remember having my jaw drop to the floor when watching him on the Seinfeld finale... something like "holy crap I know that guy!!!" That was the only memorable thing about that episode. John was also an alum of Malden Catholic. RIP.

Comment

Yes, all these things could happen, but I would seriously doubt they will. Not anytime soon.
                              True, this would be an exception case, not the Norm. (pun fully intended).

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
                                But Lowell has an established coach who is every bit as good, and maybe some day thought of as better than Coach York.
                                York is probably the greatest NCAA hockey coach of all time. Norm has a long, long way to go before being on that level. That said, he's young and off to a good start.

Comment

Working...
                                X