PDA

View Full Version : UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Patman
04-03-2014, 07:20 PM
wild game is on nbc sports. was checking to see if folin was in there but he is not.

My guess is he doesn't play unless it's wrapped up... Sorta like when the AHL tried to get Gordie Howe in a game a decade back

leswp1
04-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Off topic: My god is the DCU center an absolute dump. What an awful venue.
I take that over the Nazis in the Gahden any day. At least you could make noise, the ushers had a sense of humor and you could move around. I will take that over the Gahden and needing to watch everything so you don't get kicked out any day of the week.

BostonSoccerDad
04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
My guess is he doesn't play unless it's wrapped up... Sorta like when the AHL tried to get Gordie Howe in a game a decade back

The Wild play the Bruins on the 8th. Too bad the game is in Minnesota. I am sure it would have been a thrill for Folin to possibly play in the Garden with his new pro team when he was just there a few weeks ago winning the HE championship.

WeAreNDHockey
04-03-2014, 07:59 PM
While I am a little surprised you guys are done, have to say I have been ultra impressed with the way your program has looked and played the last few seasons. Nearly every time I've seen UML play I am amazed at how many things they do right and do well. Bazin is one of brightest and best coaches in the NCAA right now. At this point I think only bad luck will keep you from winning an NCAA title in the next few years. I believe you guys are a championship program. While unfortunate for the program, players leaving early is usually a sign of doing something right

boblav1
04-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Flames are starting to look scarier down the line. Once JG goes there and with either Carr or Gilles they could be almost decent :P
From the PC thread...it appears Gilles will be back for another year.

And Gilles will be back according to his twitter

https://twitter.com/jgillies32/status/451836894033481728

JG is a great college hockey player but i wonder how he'll do at the next level with his size.

boblav1
04-03-2014, 09:49 PM
While I am a little surprised you guys are done, have to say I have been ultra impressed with the way your program has looked and played the last few seasons. Nearly every time I've seen UML play I am amazed at how many things they do right and do well. Bazin is one of brightest and best coaches in the NCAA right now. At this point I think only bad luck will keep you from winning an NCAA title in the next few years. I believe you guys are a championship program. While unfortunate for the program, players leaving early is usually a sign of doing something right
Thanks for the post. It's amazing the progress the program has made under Norm the past three seasons. Hopefully they can keep it going.

UMLFan
04-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Hellebuyck makes CHN's Second Team (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2014/04/02_2013-14_all-chn_teams_announced.php).

UMLFan
04-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the post. It's amazing the progress the program has made under Norm the past three seasons. Hopefully they can keep it going.
As Bob said ... thanks for the post.

bottomdweller
04-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Hellebuyck makes CHN's Second Team (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2014/04/02_2013-14_all-chn_teams_announced.php).

**** western hockey bias.

The Zlax45
04-04-2014, 01:32 PM
From the PC thread...it appears Gilles will be back for another year.

JG is a great college hockey player but i wonder how he'll do at the next level with his size.

We can say the same thing about any college hockey player....

FiveHole12
04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
I have felt the same as JG's size is very slight as opposed to the more meaty, bigger boned Gionta/Gerbe types. Johnny got banged up a little bit last season, but he's a quick learner. This season, I think he grew a set of eyes in the back of his head. Guys were lining him up for some big checks all season long and he dodged them like oil on water. His skill set is SO HIGH END, he will make it at the next level, if they don't break him into pieces first.

Patman
04-04-2014, 05:28 PM
I have felt the same as JG's size is very slight as opposed to the more meaty, bigger boned Gionta/Gerbe types. Johnny got banged up a little bit last season, but he's a quick learner. This season, I think he grew a set of eyes in the back of his head. Guys were lining him up for some big checks all season long and he dodged them like oil on water. His skill set is SO HIGH END, he will make it at the next level, if they don't break him into pieces first.

sounds like it's going to a weight room thing... either you have the body to handle the level or not. Its not so much containing the punishment but rather being able to deflect it.

That being said, it (this offseason or next season should he stay) could be the last best chance he gets to strengthen up before he has to face the grind of pro hockey.

Patronick
04-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Hellebuyck signed with the Jets.

Best defenseman gone? Check
Best offensive player gone? Check
Best goaltender in the country gone? Check

It's a...it's gonna be an interesting season next year.

boblav1
04-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Hellebuyck signed with the Jets.

Best defenseman gone? Check
Best offensive player gone? Check
Best goaltender in the country gone? Check

It's a...it's gonna be an interesting season next year.

Congratulations to Conner and the best of luck with the Jets.
http://viewfrom123.com/2014/04/connor-hellebuyck-jets-from-umass-lowell-early/

QUAlum2004
04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Tough loss for you guys. He was a great goaltender. I wish him success with the Jets because that is a great hockey market for him.

riverchief1
04-05-2014, 08:58 AM
And in goal for the Riverhawks, Kevin Boyle...eeek

UMA 2012-2013: 8-10-2 (2.73 GAA/.897 SV)
UMA 2011-2012: 8-7-4 (3.00 GAA/.895 SV)

:eek:

Let's hope that goalie recruit Smith comes in early as if not, your rotation is Boyle and Robbins next year.

Middle Street
04-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Maybe Onion Man was on to something after all...

Well we're about to see how good coach Bazin really is. As I said in an earlier post, i just want them to remain competitive and have the 5 win seasons behind them.

Onion Man
04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Lowell will be a middle of the pack team normally with the occasional strong season or two. I don't see how Lowell can out recruit the BC and BUs of the world to consistently be at the top.

Carmine Scarpaglia
04-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Oh well. It was a good run guys.

Patman
04-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Thank you Connor... Future is still bright... Next year though.... Ehhhhhh