PDA

View Full Version : UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

UMLFan
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
This brave new world, while scary, is a good problem to have. All of us on this board recognize how fortunate we are to have watched this team evolve into a very successful program in the past few years. Coach Bazin had a huge challenge a few years ago when he took over a hockey team that did not have much success the previous year. Now I believe he has one of his biggest challenges - and that is to find a way to continue the success with the loss of the talent that has recently departed. There are still plenty of talented kids on the team - but can he get the younger kids to step up into leadership roles and continue the "team accountability" mantra? This will be interesting to see how it unfolds in the next 3 years. I think the Coach has the right personality, temperament, and buy-in from the kids to continue the success. My guess is that next year we can probably expect a drop in the standings - middle of the pack. And the following 2-3 years the team should be right back there in the thick of things.
From what I was told by those that follow national recruiting was that this year's freshmen class was a bit lower talent wise than what is coming in the future. For example, when you've got 2 first round USHL picks (#3 and #5) along with a guy that was drafted in the first round of the Phase 1 USHL draft ... there is definitely some good talent coming in.

UMLFan
04-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Found it interesting that all the soon-to-be juniors at Miami apparently made a pact, and all are coming back next year.

Wild at the Blackhawks tonight on NBCSN. Might be Folin's NHL debut.

CleggyofUML
04-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Found it interesting that all the soon-to-be juniors at Miami apparently made a pact, and all are coming back next year.

Wild at the Blackhawks tonight on NBCSN. Might be Folin's NHL debut.

Reports said he was meeting up with the Wild I'm Chicago so I am gonna take a guess and say that he is playing tonight.

Wonder when Wilson will get his debut for the Pitt.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Folin is playing for MIN tonight against CHI. Wilson will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on a PTO for rest of season and ELC starts next year. He had less leverage than Folin.

Patronick
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
From what I was told by those that follow national recruiting was that this year's freshmen class was a bit lower talent wise than what is coming in the future. For example, when you've got 2 first round USHL picks (#3 and #5) along with a guy that was drafted in the first round of the Phase 1 USHL draft ... there is definitely some good talent coming in.

This year's as in the freshman who played the 13/14 season, or this year's as in the freshman coming in for the fall?

Patronick
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Off topic: My god is the DCU center an absolute dump. What an awful venue.

CleggyofUML
04-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Worse than Bridgeport?

UMLFan
04-03-2014, 11:02 AM
This year's as in the freshman who played the 13/14 season, or this year's as in the freshman coming in for the fall?
As in the group that played 13/14.

Edwardh, Dmowski, Lohin, Panico, Master ... all are highly thought of (not to the BC level, obviously).

Middle Street
04-03-2014, 11:10 AM

I couldn't agree more. I grew up near Worcester and used to go to Ice Cats games all the time when I was a kid. They claim they "renovated it" but the only changes I noticed were an ugly yellow paint job in the concourse as well as some new and out of place looking "luxury boxes".

The seats in the lower bowl where I sat had very little leg room. That visit there really made me appreciate what we have at the Tsongas.

Patronick
04-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Worse than Bridgeport?

I thought it was much worse than Bridgeport

Patronick
04-03-2014, 11:45 AM
As in the group that played 13/14.

Edwardh, Dmowski, Lohin, Panico, Master ... all are highly thought of (not to the BC level, obviously).

Regarding the frosh from this season, the soon to be sophomores: I think Gambardella had a great playoffs. Against BC I thought he was the best player Lowell had on the ice. I think he and Campbell are going to be important to this team next season.

ULowell'81
04-03-2014, 12:24 PM
The seats in the lower bowl where I sat had very little leg room. That visit there really made me appreciate what we have at the Tsongas.

I agree completely about the DCU Center. We were in Sect 119 Row J and I had to sit sideways because I had no leg room. I know people seated in the 1st row of the upper deck were complaining that the railings were in their site line. We had no issues in Bridgeport including when seated behind the net for the Union game.

ULowell'81
04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Regarding the frosh from this season, the soon to be sophomores: I think Gambardella had a great playoffs. Against BC I thought he was the best player Lowell had on the ice. I think he and Campbell are going to be important to this team next season.

I thought Gambardella showed very good speed and tenacity all season. My issue with him is that while he gets to a lot of pucks he doesn't finish many chances. I hope he develops more touch around the net because if he does he could be a hell of a player for us.

UMLFan
04-03-2014, 12:49 PM

I thought Gambardella showed very good speed and tenacity all season. My issue with him is that while he gets to a lot of pucks he doesn't finish many chances. I hope he develops more touch around the net because if he does he could be a hell of a player for us.
Agreed on both. I think Maniccia showed some stuff, more early in the year than later.

I'd like to see either Fallon or Colantone step up going into their junior year. Wallin will be the only senior forward on that team.

snipeshow10
04-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Gambardella slightly reminds me of a Pendenza early in his career. Great wheels and energy but just needs to have the rest of his brain/body catch up with his feet. Would be great for Lowell if that ends up happening.

Could not agree more with the DCU. I will say they did do a nice job with the outer facade but the sightlines and inside of that place is still terrible. I think eating the 20 dollar bill I spent on food would have been better than what I consumed.

boblav1
04-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Josh Holmstrom signs ATO with AHLís Bridgeport Sound Tigers. (http://viewfrom123.com/2014/04/josh-holmstrom-signs-ato-with-ahls-bridgeport-sound-tigers/)

UMLFan
04-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Gambardella slightly reminds me of a Pendenza early in his career. Great wheels and energy but just needs to have the rest of his brain/body catch up with his feet. Would be great for Lowell if that ends up happening.

Could not agree more with the DCU. I will say they did do a nice job with the outer facade but the sightlines and inside of that place is still terrible. I think eating the 20 dollar bill I spent on food would have been better than what I consumed.
They ran out of water at one of the stands near our section ... prior to the game on Sunday. As in before the game even started.

CleggyofUML
04-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm glad that so many of the seniors are going to the AHL. They deserve it.

boblav1
04-03-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm glad that so many of the seniors are going to the AHL. They deserve it.
I would imagine they'll be back on campus in a few weeks to finish up school.

J.D.
04-03-2014, 07:18 PM
wild game is on nbc sports. was checking to see if folin was in there but he is not.