PDA

View Full Version : UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29

ScottK
09-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Wait ... what?

And on the cross-country team: http://www.goriverhawks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3168&path=mxctf

UMLFan
09-04-2014, 10:39 AM
And on the cross-country team: http://www.goriverhawks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3168&path=mxctf
Good Lord. I'm getting old.

Patman
09-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Good Lord. I'm getting old.

Don't worry, the nurse will be along with your stewed beets later :p ;) :D

UML Puck Hawk
09-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Yeah, but he's been with the program for a bit, so he's jaded like most of the people on the board. I think it will play well with the students and just add to the atmosphere.

As a student, (admittedly a senior) not a huge fan. That said if it got a few more freshman excited about going to games (and other athletic events) than you won't hear me complaining.

leswp1
09-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Wait ... what?

Good Lord. I'm getting old.Considering I remember you as a stuent I don't think I need to hear about anyone being old...

And that roster is in the works. He actually does have a major and isn't undeclared. (Moral victory for the parents)

bottomdweller
09-05-2014, 12:41 AM
As a student, (admittedly a senior) not a huge fan. That said if it got a few more freshman excited about going to games (and other athletic events) than you won't hear me complaining.

Yeah, you've already been with the school/program for 3 years so something new like this is generally ho-hum. It's not going to have the prestige as Cheer Cheer for Crappy ND, or even the God awful Boomer Sooner, but for the underclassmen this year and classes in the future it will hopefully be something of a rallying song at sporting events.

UML Puck Hawk
09-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Absolutely true and as long as it actually accomplishes that you will hear no complaint from me.

Anyways (back to hockey?) the last time we opened with BC was 2011. First 5 games on the schedule could be brutal, 4 of which are at home. Hopefully they don't come out flat (like the last three years) otherwise this could be a really rough year for student attendance. BC, Mich, and Mich State should all have good student attendance, but if they don't show up I fear neither will the underclassmen.

Patman
09-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Absolutely true and as long as it actually accomplishes that you will hear no complaint from me.

Anyways (back to hockey?) the last time we opened with BC was 2011. First 5 games on the schedule could be brutal, 4 of which are at home. Hopefully they don't come out flat (like the last three years) otherwise this could be a really rough year for student attendance. BC, Mich, and Mich State should all have good student attendance, but if they don't show up I fear neither will the underclassmen.

Hopefully there won't be bandwagon effect, but if anybody hopes this year will be as good as the last three then they're leading themselves to disappointment.

Now, that being said, love to be disappointed, want to be disappointed. Each year is a new opportunity, we will see what happens.

IMO, last year's egg lay was embarrassing... but that's on the team and building motivation. How much is hunt is in the dog.

UML Puck Hawk
09-05-2014, 04:21 PM
I agree, but realize nearly every freshman (exempting lil les of course) will be a bandwagonner at first. There really is not a heck of a lot that can be done about it so far as I can see.

As for hopes, I am sticking with a home playoff series. With the team as it is currently constructed we lack defensive depth and a proven goaltender. That said lacking a proven goaltender just means we have goalies with something to prove ;).

I want to say the first month will be very telling, but if the first month were telling the last three years we would not have the problem of BC fans complaining about the number of banners:eek:

leswp1
09-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I agree, but realize nearly every freshman (exempting lil les of course) will be a bandwagonner at first. There really is not a heck of a lot that can be done about it so far as I can see.

As for hopes, I am sticking with a home playoff series. With the team as it is currently constructed we lack defensive depth and a proven goaltender. That said lacking a proven goaltender just means we have goalies with something to prove ;).

I want to say the first month will be very telling, but if the first month were telling the last three years we would not have the problem of BC fans complaining about the number of banners:eek:
Actually a fair amount of the kids coming in are from around here and have been to games before. Lots of HS kids go to those

Patman
09-08-2014, 06:22 PM
I assume the silence means that all the players made it back to campus without being eaten by trolls? I know off-seasons can have some surprises.

WrathOfAramark
09-09-2014, 06:54 AM
I assume the silence means that all the players made it back to campus without being eaten by trolls? I know off-seasons can have some surprises.

Seems like Lowell yes, Merrimack no.

Merrimack's Austin Plevy leaves. Mike McMahon gets philosophical(link). (http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/national_sports/article_81a80366-2a6d-54d6-b095-02d5f186bf92.html)

boblav1
09-09-2014, 02:03 PM
The pdf version of the schedule has NESN broadcasting the home games against BC, Michigan and PC.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/documents/2014/9/9/schedule.pdf

viewfrom123.com
09-09-2014, 03:09 PM
UMass Lowell 25-1 odds. https://twitter.com/irik101/status/509096965569662977/photo/1

UMLFan
09-09-2014, 08:39 PM
UMass Lowell 25-1 odds. https://twitter.com/irik101/status/509096965569662977/photo/1
That shocks me. I think we're going to have a tough time just getting home ice in HE.

ScottK
09-10-2014, 03:58 AM
That shocks me. I think we're going to have a tough time just getting home ice in HE.

Remember, with the extra round now, "Home Ice" means a Top 8 finish. 5 through 8 will host 9 through 12 in a 1st round series now, not just a single game.

UMLFan
09-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Remember, with the extra round now, "Home Ice" means a Top 8 finish. 5 through 8 will host 9 through 12 in a 1st round series now, not just a single game.Ah that's right. OK, if we don't get that, then it would be disappointing. Still those are really high odds of winning the NC, especially with everything we lost.

Patman
09-10-2014, 07:36 AM

It's Vegas, they don't know all that much and the only people who pay in are alums friends and family anyhow.

I agree though, no way are we top 20.

ScottK
09-10-2014, 08:22 AM
I agree though, no way are we top 20.

No offense, but there's as much to back up this claim as there is to back up the 25-1 odds. Can you definitively state who the Top 20 teams are right now, a month before the season starts? Until we see a few games played, you really can't make any claims about who is good and who isn't. Well, except for UMass. They always suck.

Patman
09-10-2014, 08:33 AM
No offense, but there's as much to back up this claim as there is to back up the 25-1 odds. Can you definitively state who the Top 20 teams are right now, a month before the season starts? Until we see a few games played, you really can't make any claims about who is good and who isn't. Well, except for UMass. They always suck.

Point being? Yeah, it's an opinion but bottom half of the league puts us in and around being out of the top 20.

I hope that we win it all every year, some more plausible than others. In the end it's my opinion which is worth whatever it's worth