Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Originally posted by tape View Post
    While I'm sure not many people consider Lowell to be a "destination", Bazin is a Lowell alum who played on the team and was an assistant just after his playing days. He has a deep connection to the program.

I don't mean to say that he could never possibly leave, and I know he was also an assistant at CC after Lowell, but he'd have to have a pretty **** compelling reason to leave Lowell for CC at this point.
    Pretty sure he left Lowell because the coach he was assting for left but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      One Lowell recruit on the Final CSB for 2014. 6 for BU. 4 for BC (and 2 more that are already in school).
      So I took a look at the three uncommitted players. I wonder if there is any connection between Jake Bresser (ranked 185 among North American Skaters) and Michael Kapla. They went to the same high school...

He was named Mr. Hockey for Wisconsin, kind of surprised he has not committed anywhere.
      BS UMass Lowell 2015
      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

UML's old equipment kid just worked his 1,000 game in the NHL. Impressive.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

UML's old equipment kid just worked his 1,000 game in the NHL. Impressive.
          That's cool

Comment

One Lowell recruit on the Final CSB for 2014. 6 for BU. 4 for BC (and 2 more that are already in school).
            For those of you comparing Bazin to York and wondering if Lowell can compete for recruits - just examine this list. When Lowell appears several times on this list, then you can start having a serious discussion about the latter (the former being ridiculous).

Yes, Lowell is recruiting older players...because they can't compete for the younger ones. It's not some master scheme by Bazin, it's a take-what-you-can-get approach. There are teams on this list that I'd never thought would be out-recruiting Lowell at this point, but here we are. Even Amherst, who Lowell continues to beat like a red headed step-child year after year, landed a top 100 skater. Ditto UConn.

Untill we see Lowell actually beat out a team for a highly prized recruit, please just stop with the nonsense talk.
            Lowell Forever
            Forever Lowell

Comment

stupid draft question... are they still drafted in the 18-20 year old window or is a single age now?
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Does anyone else find it bizarre that we are having these kinds of conversations in here in April instead of say, late Feb
                No, it's an interesting and worthy topic but I know what you're saying. You guys don't need to pinch yourselves anymore , it's real!

Comment

A nice article on Christian Folin from the Star Tribune.
                  http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=1&c=y

Comment

Very nice article.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                      For those of you comparing Bazin to York and wondering if Lowell can compete for recruits - just examine this list. When Lowell appears several times on this list, then you can start having a serious discussion about the latter (the former being ridiculous).

Yes, Lowell is recruiting older players...because they can't compete for the younger ones. It's not some master scheme by Bazin, it's a take-what-you-can-get approach. There are teams on this list that I'd never thought would be out-recruiting Lowell at this point, but here we are. Even Amherst, who Lowell continues to beat like a red headed step-child year after year, landed a top 100 skater. Ditto UConn.

Untill we see Lowell actually beat out a team for a highly prized recruit, please just stop with the nonsense talk.
                      I'm kind of surprised Patronick is so averse to the idea of comparing coaches. You say so many things that get people fired up saying you don't know what you're talking about yet this is an off limits idea?

Anyway I was looking up the first three years of Jerry York vs the first three years of Norm Bazin for both of them in Hockey East.

York's first three years with BC - 42-58-9 (.385% if my math is right, which i'm sure it isn't.)
                      Bazin's first three years with UML - 78-35-7 (.650 again, probably bad math.)

Either way you guys are right, the comparisons are ridiculous. Bazin is way ******in better. Not even worthy of discussing.

Look we all know that York is hockey God, we get it, he obviously has a resume that makes everyone else in the league jealous.
                      He wins year after year and not just in the regular season, he has the rings to talk all the smack he'd like.

Point of this is though, this is a UML topic about our future, and where the Riverhawks are going.
                      Why can't we discuss how good Bazin has been and if he continues to recruit well, with what we all agree are much less skilled players than York gets, why can't we think, "well he might be as good as the celebrity coach one day" ?

I love the indignation from Eagles fans and apparently some UML fans. How dare we compare the two! Blasphemy!
                      He doesn't have York's hardware, we all know this, but if York retired today, and Bazin took over as head coach, are you really telling me that he couldn't lead BC to more championships with the talent they get? Look at what he does with what he has now?

Anyway, I expect to get yelled at, it's fine, I just don't think it's such an offensive idea as the rest of you do.

Comment

Rule 1. Genuflect when you mention the almighty BC or Jerry York
                        Rule 2. We are a second tier team who's success is only a flash in the pan.
                        Rule 3. We don't have any good players left because they all signed
                        Rule 4. We are Doooooooomed, Dooooooomed, Dooooooooooomed!!

Agree with everything you said

Comment

• Originally posted by HawkUnderground View Post
                          I'm kind of surprised Patronick is so averse to the idea of comparing coaches. You say so many things that get people fired up saying you don't know what you're talking about yet this is an off limits idea?

Anyway I was looking up the first three years of Jerry York vs the first three years of Norm Bazin for both of them in Hockey East.

York's first three years with BC - 42-58-9 (.385% if my math is right, which i'm sure it isn't.)

Either way you guys are right, the comparisons are ridiculous. Bazin is way ******in better. Not even worthy of discussing.

Look we all know that York is hockey God, we get it, he obviously has a resume that makes everyone else in the league jealous.
                          He wins year after year and not just in the regular season, he has the rings to talk all the smack he'd like.

Point of this is though, this is a UML topic about our future, and where the Riverhawks are going.
                          Why can't we discuss how good Bazin has been and if he continues to recruit well, with what we all agree are much less skilled players than York gets, why can't we think, "well he might be as good as the celebrity coach one day" ?

I love the indignation from Eagles fans and apparently some UML fans. How dare we compare the two! Blasphemy!
                          He doesn't have York's hardware, we all know this, but if York retired today, and Bazin took over as head coach, are you really telling me that he couldn't lead BC to more championships with the talent they get? Look at what he does with what he has now?

Anyway, I expect to get yelled at, it's fine, I just don't think it's such an offensive idea as the rest of you do.
                          Comparing Bazin to York is foolish/hilarious. What makes a York, a Berenson or a Parker legends is they all stayed in the NCAA. If you think Bazin (albeit a Lowell alum) is going to coach at Lowell for 30 years you are insane. The more success he has, the faster he moves on to a bigger NCAA program or to pro hockey.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                            Comparing Bazin to York is foolish/hilarious. What makes a York, a Berenson or a Parker legends is they all stayed in the NCAA.
                            I'm guessing he plans on staying in the NCAA or maybe aspirations of going pro so thanks, I guess he's going to be a legend! Even if he were to do something as foolish/hilarious as staying in Lowell (gasp!), they're in the NCAA so we're still good.
                            Legendary Norm Bazin.... I like the sound of that!

Comment

Originally posted by HawkUnderground View Post

Why not wait and see how Norm does now that he's seeing his top players bolt to the pros. The great coaches are able to recruit to offset those losses on a year in/year out basis. How has the Lowell program in the past dealt with early departures? Let's see, there's been Ben Walter and Chad Ruhwedel. Lowell crapped the bed once Wally left (granted different coach), but now let's see how Norm deals with losing his best defenseman for the 2nd year in a row, and one of his top forwards. Having a couple of great years is terrific, but the great coaches sustain that success over long periods of time.

Comment

christ almighty, just accept that you have a very promising coach and stop looking to force a comparison to york, the GOAT. saying that doesn't take away from norm bazin. he has done a phenomenal job so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X