PDA

View Full Version : UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

UMLFan
04-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Any updates from the banquet would be appreciated!

Go-UML
04-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Looks like Doug's new team needs a home:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/a-disappointing-day-abbotsford-heat-leaving-fraser-valley-1.1776224

Patman
04-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Looks like Doug's new team needs a home:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/a-disappointing-day-abbotsford-heat-leaving-fraser-valley-1.1776224

I've seen glens falls listed as the new location as the Phantoms move to the Lehigh valley

UMLFan
04-21-2014, 11:03 AM
There are rumors that the Monarchs will be moving after next season. I think a lot of the western NHL teams want to move their teams move local as well.

Middle Street
04-21-2014, 12:11 PM
There are rumors that the Monarchs will be moving after next season. I think a lot of the western NHL teams want to move their teams move local as well.

That's too bad. That's a nice arena up there. Far better than the DCU. What's interesting is Worcester, Portland and Manchester are all affiliated with west coast teams. I know Portland has had issues with the Civic Center and I think moved their home games to the arena in Lewiston where they used to have a major junior team. Sounds like all three of those franchises could be gone in a few years.

I started going to Riverhawks games right after the Devils left so I never attended any AHL games at the Tsongas. I assume they weren't well attended?

It seems like the school buying the Tsongas and showing the AHL the door was a great move for UML hockey. I've got to imagine UML took a backseat to the AHL team and didn't have the access to the facility that they obviously have now. I've heard they practiced at the Tully Forum most of the time. Whenever the school posts the weekend preview videos, the clips of the practices always seem to be at the Tsongas, so I assume they don't go to the Tully much anymore.

Part of me still wishes an AHL team was in Lowell so I could go and watch guys like Doug Carr play when they come to town.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
04-21-2014, 12:55 PM
I started going to Riverhawks games right after the Devils left so I never attended any AHL games at the Tsongas. I assume they weren't well attended?

It seems like the school buying the Tsongas and showing the AHL the door was a great move for UML hockey. I've got to imagine UML took a backseat to the AHL team and didn't have the access to the facility that they obviously have now. I've heard they practiced at the Tully Forum most of the time. Whenever the school posts the weekend preview videos, the clips of the practices always seem to be at the Tsongas, so I assume they don't go to the Tully much anymore.

Part of me still wishes an AHL team was in Lowell so I could go and watch guys like Doug Carr play when they come to town.

Best thing to happen to UMass Lowell was AHL team going by the waist side. The P Bruins hurt attendance for Providence College hockey team. I'll admit to being a huge fan of college sports and prefer them over pro so I'm biased but I hope AHL never returns to Lowell. I've truly enjoyed covering UML's rise and it's a great story.

UMLFan
04-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Best thing to happen to UMass Lowell was AHL team going by the waist side. The P Bruins hurt attendance for Providence College hockey team. I'll admit to being a huge fan of college sports and prefer them over pro so I'm biased but I hope AHL never returns to Lowell. I've truly enjoyed covering UML's rise and it's a great story.
Completely agree with this.

CleggyofUML
04-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Question for you guys, my parents are looking to get season tickets for next year. When are they available to order?

UMLFan
04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Question for you guys, my parents are looking to get season tickets for next year. When are they available to order?
Already open (http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/2014/3/27/SeasonTix.aspx?path=mhockey).

CleggyofUML
04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Already open (http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/2014/3/27/SeasonTix.aspx?path=mhockey).

They're only $50? Honestly thought they would be more.

UMLFan
04-21-2014, 02:17 PM
They're only $50? Honestly thought they would be more.
I believe that's just putting down a deposit of $50 for a ticket.

CleggyofUML
04-21-2014, 02:54 PM
I believe that's just putting down a deposit of $50 for a ticket.

Okay that makes more sense. If they were only 50 I would be very surprised.

ScottK
04-21-2014, 05:41 PM
That's too bad. That's a nice arena up there. Far better than the DCU. What's interesting is Worcester, Portland and Manchester are all affiliated with west coast teams. I know Portland has had issues with the Civic Center and I think moved their home games to the arena in Lewiston where they used to have a major junior team. Sounds like all three of those franchises could be gone in a few years.

If the Kings move their affiliate west another team will move into Manchester fairly quickly. They are routinely among the league leaders in attendance.

boblav1
04-21-2014, 08:26 PM
From the UML site: Connor Hellebuyck named MVP at annual team awards banquet. (http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/2014/4/21/MICE_0421142319.aspx?path=mhockey)

leswp1
04-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Gus Coutu and Unsung Hero Award- Holmstrom
Perseverance award- Carr
MVP- Helly
Most improved- Campbell
Rookie of the yr- Kapla
Defensive player of the Yr- Kamrass
Connelly Award- Devin O'Connell
Harvey Chandler Award- Pendenza

Capt next yr Kamrass.

They were tweeting pics of the awards (I am not a tweeting person so have no idea how to access)

leswp1
04-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Gus Coutu and Unsung Hero Award- Holmstrom
Perseverance award- Carr
MVP- Helly
Most improved- Campbell
Rookie of the yr- Kapla
Defensive player of the Yr- Kamrass
Connelly Award- Devin O'Connell
Harvey Chandler Award- Pendenza

Capt next yr Kamrass.

They were tweeting pics of the awards (I am not a tweeting person so have no idea how to access)

Figures someone would post a link after I typed all that

MaryK
04-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Coach said we're traveling to Colorado College and "a Christmas tournament in Minnesota" which I assume is the Dodge Holiday Classic. Harvard is also coming to Lowell, in addition to the previously announced Penn State, Michigan State, and Michigan. We'll also have a home and home with Quinnipiac.

Patman
04-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Coach said we're traveling to Colorado College and "a Christmas tournament in Minnesota" which I assume is the Dodge Holiday Classic. Harvard is also coming to Lowell, in addition to the previously announced Penn State, Michigan State, and Michigan. We'll also have a home and home with Quinnipiac.

So, when does CC pay us back?

See you guys in Minneapolis

UMLHockey224
04-21-2014, 09:55 PM

that makes this guy (who's currently at fort carson and a stones throw away from the arena) a very very happy guyto hear that

leswp1
04-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Coach said we're traveling to Colorado College and "a Christmas tournament in Minnesota" which I assume is the Dodge Holiday Classic. Harvard is also coming to Lowell, in addition to the previously announced Penn State, Michigan State, and Michigan. We'll also have a home and home with Quinnipiac.Anyone have dates for this Christmas Tournament? I will be exceedingly cranky if Mr les is gone for Christmas. I absolutely abhor this business of people having sporting events on big religious holidays. Sorry but sports are not more important than family. (I guess those are sacrilegious thought but there it is)