X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

New thread. Matt who?

We were 2-2 against the Frozen Four FWIW.

We're left with Union as the sole ECAC representative. Colgate deserved a better fate.

BC looked very beatable yesterday against Lowell Tech or whatever they call it now.

Union ought to keep the Eagle's hands full and I'd say has a 50/50 shot.
    St. Lawrence University
    World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Great thread title!

Saint Lawrence. Hockey the way it was meant to be played.

Comment

Rumor has it that Tommy Thompson will rejoin the team for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
        New thread. Matt who?

We were 2-2 against the Frozen Four FWIW.

We're left with Union as the sole ECAC representative. Colgate deserved a better fate.

BC looked very beatable yesterday against Lowell Tech or whatever they call it now.

Union ought to keep the Eagle's hands full and I'd say has a 50/50 shot.
        The old thread was started on 11/30/13, when we were 6-2-2. I think it jinxed us.
        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by freego View Post
          Have heard the same rumor.
          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Well, Union is in the FF for the 2nd time in three seasons and I think they will win it. They are no longer the 40%'ers, that's for sure. At 15-19-4, or 34 out of a possible 76 points, we were the (rounded) 45%'ers. Carvy noted in a recent WDT article that we are a work in progress. If Union can do it, so can we IMHO.

GO UNION - DO THE ECAC PROUD.
            GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by freego View Post
              I hope so. I have been wondering what would happen with Matt Carey's scholarship, and maybe this is it. I wonder if he has 1 or 2 years of eligibility left. I am glad the kid doesn't have to pay for the rest of his life for a stupid mistake. I am pretty sure he learned his lesson. Would really like to see SLU go after a kid like Fortunato who decommitted from Harvard. I realize we are stocked back on the blueline, but that kid is very talented two way player from what I have seen of him. I'll puke if he ends up at BC or anywhere else in the league to compete against us. Harvard is really falling apart too which is shocking only because this was looking to be a couple of very good recruiting classes there until the wheels fell off.

Man I hope Union wins it all. I think they are the best and most balanced team. But, all four teams there are very good and have to hand it to UND, they are there with a young team and three freshmen d-men. Talk about two teams that went different directions after we played them in November.

TT will help us a lot on the PK. He has great wheels. I hate the offseason. I am so ready for BC to suck again. Someone start feeding Jerry York bacon three meals a day please.
              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Here are SLU's recruits as of April 1,2014:

2014 Recruits
                Burmaster, Gregg LW Islanders 35 8 9 17
                Eden, Mitch D Prince George 55 9 32 41
                Gicewicz, R.J. D Green Bay 39 0 4 4
                Gluchowski, Nolan D Sioux Falls 54 2 21 23
                Horn, Christian F Sioux Falls 48 23 22 45
                Lough, Ryan LW Green Bay 58 19 21 40
                Marnell, Mike LW Des Moines 45 10 11 21
                Purmal, Matt D Green Bay 52 2 2 4
                Hayton, Kyle G Sioux City 40 24-13-2 2.55 GAA .919 SV%
                2015 Recruits
                Ederer, Mike LW Buffalo- OJHL 53 30 23 53
                Laidley, Michael LW Aurora- OJHL 47 23 11 34
                Pritchard, Jacob LW Indiana 46 13 18 31
                2016 Recruits
                Conger, Bailey C Cushing Academy
                Corriveau, Taggart RW Westminster Prep
                Gicewicz, Carson
                W Nichols School 15 4 14 18
                ** note: R.J. Gicewicz is a 2015 recruit, not a 2014 as noted in the above table.
                Last edited by Spaceman; 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM.
                SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                  Well, Union is in the FF for the 2nd time in three seasons and I think they will win it. They are no longer the 40%'ers, that's for sure. At 15-19-4, or 34 out of a possible 76 points, we were the (rounded) 45%'ers. Carvy noted in a recent WDT article that we are a work in progress. If Union can do it, so can we IMHO.

GO UNION - DO THE ECAC PROUD.
                  I'll be cheering hard for the "U" on behalf of us SLU fans, that's for sure. Pretty excited for this frozen four, should be some fantastic hockey games. I was fortunate enough to have Union at the first frozen four I attended down in Tampa, and now they will be at the second one as well.

Comment

Congrats to Greg Carey for being named as a Hobey Hat Trick! Are Peter Lappin and Dan Laperriere the only other Saints to be in the top three for voting?
                    SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                      Congrats to Greg Carey for being named as a Hobey Hat Trick! Are Peter Lappin and Dan Laperriere the only other Saints to be in the top three for voting?
                      I am not even sure Pete Lappin was. I know that Lappy finished 2nd in the polling.

I see that when putting that article up USCHO took down the article from some ****** writer that got two of the three wrong. He had Gaudreau, Wilcox and Ghotisbehere. I don't blame hime for his guesses, I blame him because he didn't even mention Carey who combines being a scoring leader all four years with outstanding academic credentials and community involvement which is also what the award is supposed to be based on. I think Carey should win it. If he had the linemates Gaudreau had. or the team that he had, he might have hit triple digits. Plus Carey played great in the playoffs at Colgate instead of disappearing the way Gaudreau did against Notre Dame. So what if his line put up six points against Denver....Denver sucked in that game.

I am also miffed at College Hockey News selecting Sam Anas as ROTY for college hockey. Find me a single coach that would rather have him over Bayreuther. Even Rand Peckernold said "the joneses do all the work and Anas collects the points". Whatever, I can look at the statistics too and pick the highest point total but Bayreuther quarterbacked the top PP unit from coast to coast as a freshmen, led all defensemen in scoring and still played about the best defense on the team. Absolute and complete joke. At least the ECAC voters got it half right.

Comment

Barring the plague taking out Gaudreau, the Hobey has been his since January. As much as I would also like seeing Greg hold the trophy in Philly, there really isn't a chance of that happening.

I am surprised by Dowd getting the other nod, as opposed to Ghost or Wilcox probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          I am not even sure Pete Lappin was.
                          As I recall - keeping in mind that my memory is about as good as . . . I forget what it's as good as - Pete finished second to Stauber. And then scored a hat trick against him.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                            As I recall - keeping in mind that my memory is about as good as . . . I forget what it's as good as - Pete finished second to Stauber. And then scored a hat trick against him.
                            Well, I am absolutely positive he either was or he wasn't. But some long term memory sector of my brain tells me that Lappy was our only top 2 finisher and it is possible that didn't even do the Hobey Hatrick back then. So, I just googled it and the runner-up in 1988 was Mark Varmint aka Vermette the very same ***** that scored the Happy Gilmour shot against us to steel the ring off our fingers.

Considering we were the best team that year and Pete was our best player, he should have won it, but didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                              The old thread was started on 11/30/13, when we were 6-2-2. I think it jinxed us.
                              Sorry about that one ... Glad someone else started a new one this time
                              St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                              4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                              2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                              16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                              2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Working...
                              X