This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Dartmouth gave us a goal, hit the crossbar twice, and had one puck go between Hayton and the net. They had a lot of shots, although I don't think the disparity was as big as the box score says. But you know what? SLU absolutely, positively deserved to win that game. For the first half of the game the calls were very lopsided. There were two or three pretty obvious holds and hooks, and one or two trips, that should have resulted in power plays for us, but didn't. And our penalty killers had to work like dogs. Plus we lost one of our top defensemen pretty early on. Hayton made some good saves, and even though Grant got outplayed, he made several pretty spectacular stops of his own.

Dartmouth's first line is excellent. They really dominated play in the first period. Their best scoring opportunities came at even strength from that unit. They are skilled and very fast. I thought that in the last few minutes, St. Lawrence started to control play. In the second period, St. Lawrence outworked Dartmouth by a ton. Both goals were really gorgeous and both were set up by guys winning battles for the puck - Dahl's goal in particular. The puck was in the Dartmouth end forever leading up to that one, and we couldn't even count the number of 1-on-1 battles that SLU won leading up to the goal. Gaudet had to have been ****ed to see his guys get manhandled like that for probably two full shifts.

There are a few things that I'm sure all of us could pick out from the game that should have been better, but overall I thought that was a signature win. They skated hard every shift, they used their speed, they battled all over the ice, they got good goaltending, everybody contributed. They were hanging by a thread in the last 90 seconds, but they did hold on. If they were tired . . . they should have been. Two points on this weekend is a great result, and now we've got the chance for more.

Edit: By the way, go to the standings page and just look at the GF-GA columns for the ECAC.
    Last edited by TimU; 01-17-2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Nice win for you guys, congrats.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
        Having followed Larry sports since 1960 I have always been most impressed by the sportsmanship and civility the coaches, players and fans have exhibited
        The intemperate and juvenile language of "Got 6.." certainly does not fall within those parameters
        Remember, no matter how important SLU ice hockey is to us "it is only a game"
        Except for 4 games each season, right?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Except for 4 games each season, right?
          Clearly plus throw in Cornell at Lynah
          SLU65

Comment

Should be a fun game tonight. Harvard is finally putting it together, though unless we get some guys back, we will be missing 3 of our top 4 guys (Alex Kerfoot, Sean Malone, and Patrick McNally). They did not play last night against Clarkson, and that game was much closer than the score indicated.

This Harvard team can really finish. Goaltending has not been as good as it was earlier in the season, but similar to SLU, Harvard is a great skating team and will roll 4 lines all night. Jimmy Vesey is a very fun player to watch. He doesn't have the wheels of some of the great Harvard players of the 80s, but he can really finish. He is probably the leading contender for ECAC player of the year at this point in the season and a Hobey candidate, though there is still a lot of hockey to be played.

Harvard's PP has been lethal, but without McNally (puck moving D), it has and will likely continue to suffer.

Hoping for some up and down hockey and referees who go unnoticed. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Should be a fun game tonight. Harvard is finally putting it together, though unless we get some guys back, we will be missing 3 of our top 4 guys (Alex Kerfoot, Sean Malone, and Patrick McNally). They did not play last night against Clarkson, and that game was much closer than the score indicated.

This Harvard team can really finish. Goaltending has not been as good as it was earlier in the season, but similar to SLU, Harvard is a great skating team and will roll 4 lines all night. Jimmy Vesey is a very fun player to watch. He doesn't have the wheels of some of the great Harvard players of the 80s, but he can really finish. He is probably the leading contender for ECAC player of the year at this point in the season and a Hobey candidate, though there is still a lot of hockey to be played.

Harvard's PP has been lethal, but without McNally (puck moving D), it has and will likely continue to suffer.

Same to you. I think most of us are realistic in our expectations tonight. On the other hand, if SLU won it would not be the first win against a top-5 team this year, so you never know I guess. Our guys can probably match Harvard's skating game, and we will probably get terrific goaltending, but those finishers you mentioned may be the difference. That has been SLU's weakness over the course of the past six weeks or so.

Whatever happens, it should be fun hockey and if we can somehow sneak out of there with a point, this weekend will be a HUGE success.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                Not the case if it was the game in '84-'85 unless they had the BRF in November which I don't think happened. Please see this website: http://www.augenblick.org/rpi/h_05yr.html --- IIRC, Yearwood stopped 48 in that game.
                I think it was 46. In less than a full game. By the way, the answer to the trivia question (starting SLU goalie that night): Adolph Brink.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                  Dartmouth gave us a goal, hit the crossbar twice, and had one puck go between Hayton and the net. They had a lot of shots, although I don't think the disparity was as big as the box score says. But you know what? SLU absolutely, positively deserved to win that game. For the first half of the game the calls were very lopsided. There were two or three pretty obvious holds and hooks, and one or two trips, that should have resulted in power plays for us, but didn't. And our penalty killers had to work like dogs. Plus we lost one of our top defensemen pretty early on. Hayton made some good saves, and even though Grant got outplayed, he made several pretty spectacular stops of his own.

There are a few things that I'm sure all of us could pick out from the game that should have been better, but overall I thought that was a signature win. They skated hard every shift, they used their speed, they battled all over the ice, they got good goaltending, everybody contributed. They were hanging by a thread in the last 90 seconds, but they did hold on. If they were tired . . . they should have been. Two points on this weekend is a great result, and now we've got the chance for more.
                  One thing that absolutely cracks me up is to see the spin the different SID's or article writers put on the game. Go to the ECAC website and read Wally's recap which is pretty accurate and then read this one on the Dartmouth website. Talk about night and day different. According to the Dartmouth article they hit 5, FIVE posts and crossbars. I guess even when you lose you have to put the best spin on it that you can. I agree Dartmouth is very good and I do feel we were lucky to win as Dartmouth did have a lot of excellent chances to score. I know of two crossbars they hit including the one in the closing minute with the goalie pulled but 5???? 3 maybe at most is what I saw. Also interesting how we felt that we really controlled things in major parts of the second period yet in this article Gaudet lauds their effort in that period. I guess that's what makes the world go around!!!!

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2014-1..._Dartmouth_SLU

Originally posted by bothman View Post

Well Bothman if we could take your finishers and add them to our roster we would hands down be the best team in NCAA hockey this year!!!! Hoping for some up and down hockey???? You'll get it from us. These boys and our coaches play the game the way it's meant to be played. I expect a racehorse game tonight and will be there with bells on to cheer on the Saints. Vesey is truly a special player and we'll have to do our best to shadow him. Sorry to hear about the injuries as I really thought Kerfoot and Malone would be back this weekend based on what I heard from another Crimson fan. We had Marnell out earlier in the year with a concussion and sometimes it takes forever before they get cleared to play.
                  Hoping also on the referee's letting them play as last night with 15 penalties called it surely interrupted the flow of the game.
                  SLU

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                    I think it was 46. In less than a full game. By the way, the answer to the trivia question (starting SLU goalie that night): Adolph Brink.
                    I was going to guess Adolph Brink but wasn't 100%. There's a name from the past....wow. He was going to be great but not sure if college was for him.
                    LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                      I agree Dartmouth is very good and I do feel we were lucky to win as Dartmouth did have a lot of excellent chances to score. I know of two crossbars they hit including the one in the closing minute with the goalie pulled but 5???? 3 maybe at most is what I saw. Also interesting how we felt that we really controlled things in major parts of the second period yet in this article Gaudet lauds their effort in that period. I guess that's what makes the world go around!!!!
                      They hit the crossbar twice. Two times.

Dartmouth did get lots of chances, and we got some good luck. But we don't need to apologize for getting good goaltending and some good bounces. Plus, SLU had quite a few Grade-A chances of their own. Dartmouth dodged some bullets too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
                        Having followed Larry sports since 1960 I have always been most impressed by the sportsmanship and civility the coaches, players and fans have exhibited
                        The intemperate and juvenile language of "Got 6.." certainly does not fall within those parameters
                        Remember, no matter how important SLU ice hockey is to us "it is only a game"
                        Too bad. Hockey is full of colorful language....get used to it or get lost.
                        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                          Did anyone else watch the game on the Dartmouth feed? I have to tell you I don't think I have ever seen a more unprofessional bunch in my whole life! These two need to be reviewed by whoever can do that, Dartmouth University maybe? They were horrendous! A little homerish is one thing but some of the things he was saying I haven't even seen my 13 year old nephew say. He must have forgot to take his meds before heading to the arena tonight ... "Mark my words, this Dartmouth team will not lose to St. Lawrence later in the season at Appleton. 100% guarantee" "I am just ****ed off at the way this team is playing tonight. This is not my Dartmouth team I am watching tonight" "Everyone thought for sure that Dartmouth would win this one tonight against this team as we are the far superior team". What a joke this guy is! ... At one point he starting swearing and you could hear him having ripped his own headphones off and threw them on the ground. A complete 2 year old temper tantrum going on over there ...
                          There are highlights posted on the ECAC website. The audio is missing for about half of them. Hmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Got 6's "suck my..." and juvenile "get lost" reposte only highlights the need for civility, placing sports in perspective
                            and "getting a life"
                            SLU65

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                              One thing that absolutely cracks me up is to see the spin the different SID's or article writers put on the game. Go to the ECAC website and read Wally's recap which is pretty accurate and then read this one on the Dartmouth website. Talk about night and day different. According to the Dartmouth article they hit 5, FIVE posts and crossbars. I guess even when you lose you have to put the best spin on it that you can. I agree Dartmouth is very good and I do feel we were lucky to win as Dartmouth did have a lot of excellent chances to score. I know of two crossbars they hit including the one in the closing minute with the goalie pulled but 5???? 3 maybe at most is what I saw. Also interesting how we felt that we really controlled things in major parts of the second period yet in this article Gaudet lauds their effort in that period. I guess that's what makes the world go around!!!!

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2014-1..._Dartmouth_SLU

Well Bothman if we could take your finishers and add them to our roster we would hands down be the best team in NCAA hockey this year!!!! Hoping for some up and down hockey???? You'll get it from us. These boys and our coaches play the game the way it's meant to be played. I expect a racehorse game tonight and will be there with bells on to cheer on the Saints. Vesey is truly a special player and we'll have to do our best to shadow him. Sorry to hear about the injuries as I really thought Kerfoot and Malone would be back this weekend based on what I heard from another Crimson fan. We had Marnell out earlier in the year with a concussion and sometimes it takes forever before they get cleing also on the referee's letting them play as last night with 15 penalties called it surely interrupted the flow of the game.
                              I was unaware until reading this article that hitting the post is a meaningful stat. What I know is we hit twine 3 times and played solid defense and were good on the PK. It was a game with a lot of momentum shifts largely as a result of officiating. If we have any freshmen D in the lineup there next year we should tell them to make sure they get their major in the 3rd period. Last season we lost Sweetman on a good hit to a major in the first. This year we lost Gluchowski in the second on a hit that wasn't even a penalty. The kill we got on the major when our guys got stuck on the ice for a LONG shift as the bench was far away from the zone was key in the momentum swing for us. Our guys were gassed but kept them off the scoreboard.

I hope the officiating is good tonight. I think that is key for us. Harvard does have a good PP and we are a better 5 on 5 team for the most part. With 4 points separating teams with a bye from teams on the road the first weekend of the playoffs, this game is huge. Gluchowski logs a lot of minutes for us and is a solid d-man. His loss was felt in the third period and on the PP.

SLU earned the win last night. It was an ugly win, but SLU left it on the ice on the PK and EA time. Hayton was very good. We had a lot of good chances and buried enough of them in beautiful fashion. The rest of the statistics are particularly meaningless in a game like that.

As for the RPI talk, the win that season was less important in my mind than the 3-0 shoutout in 85-86 because that game probably saved Joe's job after an injury filled 0-7 start to his head coaching career. The 6-5 OT win against Clarkson after getting pasted by the 10-1 just before Christmas and the win against RPI at the snowy BRF were wins that settled Joe into an epic career. It was a career where I never heard Joe swear so that Ivan Lennon could vote for us in the annual ECAC church talk award. Come to think of it, I don't think he ever even raised his voice. A Saint in more ways than one!!
                              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I don't think we should keep score anymore in sports. Too much emphasis is placed on winning now. Everyone should get a medal and a cup of hot cocoa after the games too.
                                LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Working...
                                X