This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Very important win. We had to break that slump. Just wish the team could have played the last 55 minutes the way the played the first 5. When they play their game they can dominate. Let's hope they throw everything they can at Colgate tomorrow. We owe them, we need the points, and gosh darnit I want a sweep this weekend.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I hadn't really thought about it much until I checked the standings today, but even with a .500 record SLU has scored quite a few more goals than they've conceded on the season. That hasn't been true in a while as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
        I hadn't really thought about it much until I checked the standings today, but even with a .500 record SLU has scored quite a few more goals than they've conceded on the season. That hasn't been true in a while as I recall.
        Let's hope that gap widens tonight. A win tonight is huge to stay ahead of Colgate in the standings and to negate their game in hand against us. I think tonight is where we see if this team can potentially get to LP and make some noise when we get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          Let's hope that gap widens tonight. A win tonight is huge to stay ahead of Colgate in the standings and to negate their game in hand against us. I think tonight is where we see if this team can potentially get to LP and make some noise when we get there.
          It's going to be a very tall order, not only due to Colgate being a very strong team, but we don't match up well against them. We haven't for the past few years. I hope I am wrong though!
          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

And sure enough they have one of the worst offensive performances of the year and we lose this one 2-0 to Colgate. Nothing to complain about defensively as we looked strong and so did Hayton. Offensively, we look atrocious! We need to focus on getting back to the basics. Crisp passes, speed through the neutral zone, puck awareness, actually shoot the puck when given the chance and for the love of god take care of the **** puck!!

One more big point I have noticed several different games this year is that Bayreuther has been nowhere near as strong as he was his freshman season. He is sloppy with the puck, his shots are almost always wide and he has made several defensive lapses that have led directly to goals for the opposition. Tonight he made an awful decision in a critical moment where he could have passed the puck to a wide open player in the slot and instead he decided to drive directly into three Colgate defenders. This ultimately lead to a turnover and the Colgate empty netter to end it. Not sure what is going on with him this year. Is he injured? Something else going on maybe? Hope he can manage to turn it around sooner rather than later.

As for the team, let's hope we can put this one behind us and move onto to next weekends match-ups. Every game is key in this league and especially as horrendous as our offense is at the moment we need every point we can get!
            Last edited by Saints#1; 01-10-2015, 08:13 PM.

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
              And sure enough they have one of the worst offensive performances of the year and we lose this one 2-0 to Colgate. Nothing to complain about defensively as we looked strong and so did Hayton. Offensively, we look atrocious! We need to focus on getting back to the basics. Crisp passes, speed through the neutral zone, puck awareness, actually shoot the puck when given the chance and for the love of god take care of the **** puck!!

One more big point I have noticed several different games this year is that Bayreuther has been nowhere near as strong as he was his freshman season. He is sloppy with the puck, his shots are almost always wide and he has made several defensive lapses that have led directly to goals for the opposition. Tonight he made an awful decision in a critical moment where he could have passed the puck to a wide open player in the slot and instead he decided to drive directly into three Colgate defenders. This ultimately lead to a turnover and the Colgate empty netter to end it. Not sure what is going on with him this year. Is he injured? Something else going on maybe? Hope he can manage to turn it around sooner rather than later.

As for the team, let's hope we can put this one behind us and move onto to next weekends match-ups. Every game is key in this league and especially as horrendous as our offense is at the moment we need ev ery point we can get!
              Well, that sucked. We were beat in every battle and every aspect of the game. I am not happy with the level of desire. Some games we just stand around for stretches and don't seem to want it. Colgate won every battle in the corners for 2.5 periods. Finn was better than Hayton.

Bayreuther is a very good player and very smart but in my opinion he is trying to do too much, and his shot misses the net too often. He'll come around though.

It's depressing because Colgate is almost as young as we are.

Only positive thing to see is the defense was very good for the most part and we were very disciplined. Second game of the year against a rival no less without any penalties. Well, next weekend is huge.

Comment

Well, that sucked. We were beat in every battle and every aspect of the game. I am not happy with the level of desire. Some games we just stand around for stretches and don't seem to want it. Colgate won every battle in the corners for 2.5 periods. Finn was better than Hayton.

Bayreuther is a very good player and very smart but in my opinion he is trying to do too much, and his shot misses the net too often. He'll come around though.

Only positive thing to see is the defense was very good for the most part and we were very disciplined. Second game of the year against a rival no less without any penalties. Well, next weekend is huge.
                The forward lines are not gelling together at all. We have been in an offensive funk for the majority of the season and yet we continue to roll lines that are not working. I understand it's difficult to do so at this point in the season, but anything is worth a shot at this point. If this offense doesn't get it together soon we will be finished early this season once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                  The forward lines are not gelling together at all. We have been in an offensive funk for the majority of the season and yet we continue to roll lines that are not working. I understand it's difficult to do so at this point in the season, but anything is worth a shot at this point. If this offense doesn't get it together soon we will be finished early this season once again.
                  I made that comment last week. I can't really say because I don't see the team every day and I don't know if there are injuries. I will say I really liked the chemistry of the freshmen line of Marnell - Lough - Sullivan earlier in the season. I also have liked the energy Bruckel has brought most nights. It's tough because any night you have guys like Bruckel, Hagen or Dahl out. If it were me, I would probably put Martin on the PP for one of the other seniors as a forward. But like I said, it's easy to see there is no chemistry some nights, but it's not easy to fix it. Carvy sees these guys every day. He wants to win. If there is a fix, he'll find it.

Comment

I made that comment last week. I can't really say because I don't see the team every day and I don't know if there are injuries. I will say I really liked the chemistry of the freshmen line of Marnell - Lough - Sullivan earlier in the season. I also have liked the energy Bruckel has brought most nights. It's tough because any night you have guys like Bruckel, Hagen or Dahl out. If it were me, I would probably put Martin on the PP for one of the other seniors as a forward. But like I said, it's easy to see there is no chemistry some nights, but it's not easy to fix it. Carvy sees these guys every day. He wants to win. If there is a fix, he'll find it.
                    Oops, sorry I didn't even see you posted that earlier ... I guess great minds think alike, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post

Only positive thing to see is the defense was very good for the most part and we were very disciplined. Second game of the year against a rival no less without any penalties. Well, next weekend is huge.[/QUOTE]

I would have to disagree with you. Firstly, Colgate is pretty young but at least on paper they are have considerably more talent.
                      Secondly, Bayreuther has played poorly all year with mistake after mistake, game after game. He seems far more concerned with trying to score goals than playing any D. He's not the only D guy to seem to do that. He played great last year and in the USHL but this year he's seems a shell of what he was. Maybe he is injured, or maybe he feels pressured to try and have to do too much.
                      As for the goalies, both played really well. I don't know how you can say Finn was any better cos for most of the game he basically did nothing ! He did have a couple of huge saves in the third, but so did Hayton. If you concede one goal at home you should win the game.
                      A major problem with this team is they consistently turn the puck over all over the ice, game after game after game. The D does it too, but most of the time Hayton bails them out. It has cost us many games. You won't get away with these constant mistakes at PeeWee hockey, let alone at the college level. The D numbers look a lot better than the last few years, not because our D has been so awesome, but largely due to the consistency of Hayton. We have serious meltdowns in our D zone all the time.
                      In my opinion, this has created enormous pressure on Hayton. If he doesn't stand on his head every game we lose. There's a reason why he's near the top of the numbers for saves in the country (nearly 600 already). Compare this to the other goalies in the ECAC and it's not even close. That's a huge problem. We allow players to just knife in on him and allow way too many big scoring chances in the slot instead of keeping the shots to the perimeter.
                      I've watchied every game this year, some in person and some on the web and in my opinion they have to improve considerably both sides of the ice if there going to scare anyone in this league, now or any time soon.

Comment

I'm not sure what you disagree with me about....it seems like we are saying pretty much the same thing.

To say that Hayton bails out the team defensively and is the primary reason for the improvement of the team defensively is pretty obvious. However, especially considering their youth, I have seen a ton of promise in Sweetman, Gluchowski and Purmal. Bayreuther is trying to do too much but I'm not going to go negative on a great kid and a great player. He is not having the sophomore season he wants, but I believe he'll snap out of it. Hurley and Carvy will figure it out.

As for Colgate, they were picked near the bottom of the league last year and ended at the top with a young roster and a freshman goalie. While it's obvious we need to improve, especially on turnovers and the PP, I know this team can be competitive. Parity is here. One thing we do better than most is the most fundamental part of the game - skating. You can't coach guys to be faster. Then again, you have guys that can fly that aren't really zipping like they could. In October, everyone was scoring. We had the most people with a goal early in the season. Now no one can. Over the last two weekends, our d-men have outscored our forwards. I'd say that's the first thing that needs to change for us to make a push. As for scaring teams...I don't think anyone looks forward to playing us. Colgate dominated us tonight for 50 minutes but was still only one shot away from a tie game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          I'm not sure what you disagree with me about....it seems like we are saying pretty much the same thing.

To say that Hayton bails out the team defensively and is the primary reason for the improvement of the team defensively is pretty obvious. However, especially considering their youth, I have seen a ton of promise in Sweetman, Gluchowski and Purmal. Bayreuther is trying to do too much but I'm not going to go negative on a great kid and a great player. He is not having the sophomore season he wants, but I believe he'll snap out of it. Hurley and Carvy will figure it out.

As for Colgate, they were picked near the bottom of the league last year and ended at the top with a young roster and a freshman goalie. While it's obvious we need to improve, especially on turnovers and the PP, I know this team can be competitive. Parity is here. One thing we do better than most is the most fundamental part of the game - skating. You can't coach guys to be faster. Then again, you have guys that can fly that aren't really zipping like they could. In October, everyone was scoring. We had the most people with a goal early in the season. Now no one can. Over the last two weekends, our d-men have outscored our forwards. I'd say that's the first thing that needs to change for us to make a push. As for scaring teams...I don't think anyone looks forward to playing us. Colgate dominated us tonight for 50 minutes but was still only one shot away from a tie game.
                          I guess I do agree with that. I don't want to be negative either as I think Coach Carvel and his staff has done an amazing job recruiting the kind of quality that potentially we could have with this team. Some of these players could have gone to some of the 'big name' schools, but instead believed enough in Carvel to come here instead.
                          I'm totally with you about the speed. By this time in their careers you can't really coach that any more. This teams strength is the speed and when we play our game I believe we can skate with any team in college hockey. If we can become more consistent, cut out most of the mental mistakes, and play hard for three periods, this team could be special in a year or so.They have the coaching and the talent.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
                            I guess I do agree with that. I don't want to be negative either as I think Coach Carvel and his staff has done an amazing job recruiting the kind of quality that potentially we could have with this team. Some of these players could have gone to some of the 'big name' schools, but instead believed enough in Carvel to come here instead.
                            I'm totally with you about the speed. By this time in their careers you can't really coach that any more. This teams strength is the speed and when we play our game I believe we can skate with any team in college hockey. If we can become more consistent, cut out most of the mental mistakes, and play hard for three periods, this team could be special in a year or so.They have the coaching and the talent.
                            Agree across the board with you on this. Mental mistakes killed us at Northeastern. Any team, especially a team with our brains, should never relinquish a 3-0 lead. The thing about the PP is last year if teams pressured the points too much you could push it low to some guys that could snipe like the Carey's and Wick. On this team, the d-men are the most dangerous scorers on our PP and that's a big problem. We've got to learn to score on our PP chances from the circles in. Last night, Colgate was all over our points on our two PP's and they were totally ineffective as was our PP unit. Fortunately, some scorers are coming like Corriveau, Conger and Nielsen but all three are a 2016. Ederer is a decent scorer. It would be good to find a pure goal scorer or two for next year, and then some of the FY players need to pick it up on the scoring sheet. Crap, even Cornell's PP with that 6'7" freak of nature parked in front of the crease was more effective than ours this weekend.

Comment

Agree across the board with you on this. Mental mistakes killed us at Northeastern. Any team, especially a team with our brains, should never relinquish a 3-0 lead. The thing about the PP is last year if teams pressured the points too much you could push it low to some guys that could snipe like the Carey's and Wick. On this team, the d-men are the most dangerous scorers on our PP and that's a big problem. We've got to learn to score on our PP chances from the circles in. Last night, Colgate was all over our points on our two PP's and they were totally ineffective as was our PP unit. Fortunately, some scorers are coming like Corriveau, Conger and Nielsen but all three are a 2016. Ederer is a decent scorer. It would be good to find a pure goal scorer or two for next year, and then some of the FY players need to pick it up on the scoring sheet. Crap, even Cornell's PP with that 6'7" freak of nature parked in front of the crease was more effective than ours this weekend.
                              I think something else worth pointing out is that our coaching staff always has us well prepared when we start the season. This is evident by the fact that almost every season we come out strong and look great and play our systems almost perfectly ... The flip side of this is that once the other teams start to develop into their season and start to gel we still continue to try these sames things that work early on in the season, like passing more to find the perfect shot or the pretty goal. At this point in the season we should be a little more savvy in our game plan and throw some different looks out there as the opponent defenses are playing their best now. We need to stop skating around the ice looking for the perfect pass and pretty goal, it won't cut it this time of year. Continue to skate hard, pass the puck, get yourself to the net or in front of the net for screens and be in the best position for the rebounds. At the very least the defense will have to work very hard to clear out the shoot lanes which can wear down the opposition and only seek to benefit us later on in the games ... Bottom line is, work hard, be a little more savvy and cunning in our game plan, change some of the forward lines if need be and work at finding what works for us. We can do this boys. Keep working hard out there!!!
                              Last edited by Saints#1; 01-11-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Crap, even Cornell's PP with that 6'7" freak of nature parked in front of the crease was more effective than ours this weekend.
                                It's not his fault that he's the biggest and the strongest. He doesn't even exercise.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X