X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    I trust you know the back story? The Brown announcers saying all Friday night that the Lappin brothers played for RPI and he remembers against playing against them. Possibly one too many career concussions??? But, the way Nick Lappin was gooning it up this weekend, now even I have my doubts!
    after I posted I read a few more posts and got it. Just kidding anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      Not real Twitter fluent. Found Brian Sullivan but couldn't find you debate.
      https://twitter.com/rbcarlisle/statu...65716104220672
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
        Not real Twitter fluent. Found Brian Sullivan but couldn't find you debate.
        Try this url from a logged in state on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SullivanHockey/s...09146498220032 OR
        Find this @SullivanHockey Tweet and view the 19 replies and comments:

@ Sullivan Hockey "In other words, I'm on pace to go 0-5-1 on my #ECACHockey picks tonight. Solid prognosticating there."
        St. Lawrence University
        World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by Lynah Fan View Post
          Tough time with that MBA, huh?

I keeed, I keeed. Congrats on finishing whatever it was!
          He could be a doctor or an architect. Or, he could like beer more than school. Any of these possibilities are an acceptable explanation.
          Thanks, guys! After a four-year stint doing play-by-play in the ECHL, I picked up an M.S. and a J.D. And I've always liked beer more than school, just ask any of my professors from SLU...

As for Mr. Sullivan, he's an example of why making picks is better left to bookmakers and handicappers. When sportswriters do it and are wrong, they're only giving their detractors more ammo.
          St. Lawrence '02

Comment

Per Appleton only 30 ducats allocated to SLU for game against SUNY Ithaca
            I am assuming this does not include parents of players

Anyway I will be coming down- some 30 years now- from Rochester w/ a buddy from B.U.- if anyone
            cares to say hello I will be wearing a SLU 1989 national champs soccer cap. Earlier at The Nines for pizza

Hats off once again to Bob D for another amazing season
            SLU65

Comment

I have made it out to every game this season and this team is just so much fun to watch!!!

If you are just looking at the box scores I can tell you first hand they don't tell the story. This team will likely get out shot in almost every game but will likely have more grade A scoring chances than the other team when all is said and done. We have scored 37 goals so far and the top team in the country has scored 38. We have a goals differential of +17 after 10 games. We are in the top 10 in the country on both the PP and the PK and we can definitely score 5 on 5. Hayton has been very good but our team defense has been awesome. The backcheck is incredible. I've seen defenders fall down and our forward catch the guy to prevent the two on one. Seldom is there anybody free in our own end and seldom do we allow a second chance on a rebound. If you exclude the first game against RIT you could count the number of on man rushes we've allowed on one hand. Everybody is contributing! With the likes of guys like Doerety, Marnell, Lough, Thompson and McGovern our team speed is incredible! Brickell,Hughes and Thompson just keep coming at you until they force you into making a mistake. Ward is a smart centreman who can really protect a puck and has excellent play making skills. Lough and Marnell are just so exciting to watch! Defensively we are very sound and have some guys that can really contribute offensively like Martin, Sweetman and Bayreuther. Purmal is such a force in our own end, just knocks guys around and takes the puck. Sweetman is so smart and reads the play so well! If you haven't had a chance to get out and see this team play I strongly recommend you do..I doubt you will be disappointed. Hope the team stays healthy and keeps playing like they are because if they do really anything is possible. The coaches are doing a fantastic job with this young team and it's just so much fun to see the fans of the other team wondering what just happened after we beat them!!

Comment

That's what they look like to me also. Glad your going to all the games, My wife and I did for 25 or so years but are slowing down and just going a few times but have hooked our computer up to the t.v. and still watch every game, home and away in style----I call this Joe's style of hockey this year, wherever the puck is, you see 2 SLU players, previously the last 2 years I thought they were playing positional hockey, not this year, speed-speed speed. Belated happy birthday, Brian,
                brashersaintsfan

Comment

It will be interesting to see when Marnell comes back. He got hit in the jaw by Nick Lappin and looked woozy getting up and he has a history of concussions. Really a shame as he is definitely a typical Saint - fast, smart and skilled.

Speaking of which, Nick Lappin was given a two game suspension by the league for his second 5 and Game Misconduct in two nights but the article attributed it to what happened in the Clarkson game only. Not sure why they wouldn't have factored in Friday night which was, IMO, an intentional cheap shot.

I agree with both SLUfan's comments. Very tenacious team that works hard and has some skill. Gluchowski is a stud and he may be back this weekend. Fortunately, he did not have a fracture even though at the time the thought was he did. He will have a positive impact on the PP as he may be an even better offensive D-man than Bayreuther and I'll feel better with him on the blue line than a 4th forward for the PP. It is a very fun team to watch. Cornell will be a test as their style is 180 degrees from ours at the moment. Colgate should be a good game especially if it is clean which SLU - Colgate games typically are not. This team is still young and still learning systems but the effort has been great every time I have watched and there were some really pretty goals scored in every game.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Well today starts the period in college hockey where player and teams can sign a National Letter of Intent (NOL). This period runs from this Wednesday to next Wednesday. It will be interesting to see if SLU has any of their verbal recruits for next year sign a NOL. Keep in mind that many recruited players have 2 for 4 commitments, which means they pay the first two years at school and then the university pays the last 2 years. Those recruits can not sign a NOL is my understanding, only those recruits who will be getting athletic scholarship money in their first year can.
                    SLU '97

Comment

And speaking of recruits. This is the latest that I have. Stats are up to date as of 11/12/14:

2015 Recruits
                      Mike Ederer LW Merritt - BCHL 20 6 7 13
                      RJ Gicewicz D Green Bay - USHL 8 0 0 0
                      Sam Kauppila F Green Bay - USHL 9 0 1 1
                      Michael Laidley LW Aurora- OJHL 21 5 11 16
                      Jake Mclaughlin D Sioux City - USHL 14 0 1 1
                      Jacob Pritchard LW Powell River - BCHL 20 7 16 23
                      2016 Recruits
                      Bailey Conger C Cushing Academy
                      Taggart Corriveau W Westminster Prep
                      Henry Bowlby F Edina HS - MN
                      Carson Gicewicz W Nichols School
                      2017 Recruits
                      Kaden Pickering RW Northwood
                      SLU '97

Comment

I trust you know the back story? The Brown announcers saying all Friday night that the Lappin brothers played for RPI and he remembers against playing against them. Possibly one too many career concussions??? But, the way Nick Lappin was gooning it up this weekend, now even I have my doubts!
                        There have been a lot of Lappins over the years. They're the Sutters of the ECAC.

Anybody care to give a quick preview of what to expect from SLU this weekend? One of the nice (?) things about The System is you already know what you're going to see from Cornell if you've been watching them the last decade: very big (bordering on huge now), not particularly fast (though truth be told faster that prior years), tremendous stifling D, virtually no offensive pressure, strong goaltending, no quick strike ability whatsoever, great kill, anemic powerplay. The only discernable difference is that whereas in past years your best bet was to beat them 2-1, this season that appears to be 1-0.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 11-13-2014, 09:57 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          There have been a lot of Lappins over the years. They're the Sutters of the ECAC.

Anybody care to give a quick preview of what to expect from SLU this weekend? One of the nice (?) things about The System is you already know what you're going to see from Cornell if you've been watching them the last decade: very big (bordering on huge now), not particularly fast (though truth be told faster that prior years), tremendous stifling D, virtually no offensive pressure, strong goaltending, no quick strike ability whatsoever, great kill, anemic powerplay. The only discernable difference is that whereas in past years your best bet was to beat them 2-1, this season that appears to be 1-0.
                          SLU is extremely balanced this year, as evidenced by our stat sheet. Something like 22 separate goal scorers. Hayton has been an absolute rock in goal, although he has been aided by a much improved team defense in front of him compared to last year's version of the Saints. Overall, it's a bit of a smaller team, although team speed is certainly a strength, and quite a bunch of gritty guys who will go into the corners with anybody. The PK has also been much improved from last year, although it couldn't have gone down too much PP started hot, but has tapered off a bit lately.

Sounds like it should be another pretty good matchup, as our games have tended to be in the recent past.

Our lines will most likely be close to this (possibly 2-3 changes, due to injuries/possibly Gluchowski returning from injury on the blue line):

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

We are developing into the "anti-Cornell" model. It is clear that with this team and going forward, the coaching staff is recruiting speed. The team is overall very inexperienced, particularly on "D". However, they have developed significantly and had good tests early on playing Ferris State at home and Miami on the road. They acquitted themselves well so far and are gaining in both confidence and experience. (It is a freshman and Soph dominated team. 17 of the roster players are in those classes.) On D Sweetman and Bayreuther have great offensive skill and can put on moves and move the puck. Bayreuther broke the Saints rookie record last year for points by a defenseman with 36. (9 goals and 27 helpers). Gluchowski should be back and that adds more offense to the PP (assuming we get any.) Chris Martin moved back to defense from forward and adds poise and skill to the blue line along with great speed.
                            Up front, as Brandon indicated it has been scoring by committee. Each game different players have been contributing. Players to watch? The Doherty line with Thompson and Hughes has much experience and Coach seems to want them out there in key situations. Doherty and Thompson have some wheels.
                            Horn and Ward have developed some nice passing chemistry. Horn (although he skates like a flailing Great Blue Heron on ice) has some wonderful offensive instincts. He transferred in from U Minnesota and is a great addition. Ward see's the ice well and is talented. Lough and Marnell have skills with the puck and Lough really showed us something in last weekends games. The dose of skating, speed and youth has re-invogorated players like Bruckel and Hudson is a big bruiser that should have a "caution, wide load" sticker on him as if he plays disciplined he can put a hurting on opponents physically.
                            All in all expect speed........effort, attacks and counter attacks, disciplined play in their system, allowing shots, but forcing the play outside and shots from places Hayton can see and handle. The D impressed me last week as any puck in harms way they remove to a safe place quickly. It should be a fun match up. David vs. Goliath.

Here is a video link to last weekends goals. You'll notice the speed and the boys buzzing in the highlights.
                            http://youtu.be/O99EVXveivY
                            SLU

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                              And speaking of recruits. This is the latest that I have. Stats are up to date as of 11/12/14:
                              Hope you don't mind. I took your table and geeked it up with links to each player's Elite Prospects here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Good way to track these guys in real time.
                              St. Lawrence University
                              World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

• Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                                Hope you don't mind. I took your table and geeked it up with links to each player's Elite Prospects here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Good way to track these guys in real time.
                                Also, I saw Ederer signed his NLI today. Didn't see any others, but didn't look hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X