UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    Why is the B1G interested in BU and not BC?
    Igles ain't AAU
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

Originally posted by HuskyfanDan View Post
      What is BUs TV payout right now in HE?
      I'd love to know the answer to this one because based on posts I've seen in the past, I was under the impression the schools and league paid NESN to broadcast the games, not the other way around. Am I wrong about that?
      Last edited by Middle Street; 12-17-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
        I'd love to know the answer to this one because based on posts I've seen in the past, I was under the impression the schools and league paid NESN to broadcast the games, not the other way around. Am I wrong about that?
        I do not know but I suspect you are close to being right. Maybe no money changes hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
          When I orginally was told and chatted about this topic years ago, I was told that HE reached a agreement to put a select amount of games on NESN and it was pure filler orginally. There was a clause based on rating and advertising that HE could profit eventually. Then later I was told they made 500k I think as a league or per team I forget. This is not the latest info so think like 2010-2012ish maybe. I also remember something about versus taking a deal to give it a try for like 10 games but nothing came of it longterm I remember. The point is the B1G will be the first constant college hockey channel becuase that network is safe as is without it. It's a bonus to both sides.

NESN isn't even in all of CT. It's reach is nothing besides Boston sports fans or tams of HE schools playing away games that are on TV.

It's a little kid getting a matchbox car for Christmas and his dad getting himself a Porsche.

But I'm sure mr slurped or someone else will come here and bash away in a minute. Money talks. Long term stability talks. That's what UConn is chasing and I believe others are also.

One thing I have honestly not seen is HE fans talking about how they will compete with B1G schools with the amount of cash they will get becuase of the TV network? 2 mil!?!? That's a serious boost to a hockey program. The recruiting and swag you can improve on with that has to atleast worry people a bit no? what happened when those schools take recruiting and turn it into bball and fball type hustles? How do you go to Canada or backwoods VT and pitch a kid? It's going to be like Michigan vs Lowell but it's going to look like Oregon vs eastern Washington for a football analogy.
          Last edited by HuskyfanDan; 12-17-2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            The drunk conference realignment posts from Dan are easily one of my favorite things on the interwebs.

ps - Dan, I think this is cruel when you realize there are people like Butchy around that are literally hanging on every last word from even lunatics like you on conference realignment. You just forced him to sit by the phone until 2018 waiting for Delany to call.
            HFD's posts are definitely near the top of my favorite things.

Only thing that may top that is HFD + some knuckledragger in WV with aol 4.0 after a couple of swigs of moonshine posting about reallignment and sending the puppy pound into hysteria.

Comment

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
              HFD's posts are definitely near the top of my favorite things.

Only thing that may top that is HFD + some knuckledragger in WV with aol 4.0 after a couple of swigs of moonshine posting about reallignment and sending the puppy pound into hysteria.
              It's a lot of fun but also hard work to keep up with the madness. A couple years ago it all started when the famous wvu moonshiner just started his journey and he posted on what I guess is the wvu b12 board now on scout that he was hearing from his sources blah blah. He finished off hi like 10 paragraph post with a SEC with 18 teams. It was split by slashes and had WVU, MD and I think VT in the SEc east. Every since I read that and watched what beams of "insiders" I knew I had to have me some of that lol.

Sometimes certain levels of crazy are to much fun to let go of. In all honesty I think more CR will happen and that UConn is trying to get a B1G or ACC invite, but no meeting in secret every Tuesday and power points and all that jazz is so FRUCKING dumb that it's hilarious that those guys still have followers years later.

Seriously though, why did UConn make its schedule like this. I get that most schools have a 10+ day break right, but not a 20 something day break? It's absurd. Maybe I never noticed it before as I was more of a check a score guy then pay attention but holy cow...why can't we play games until this weekend around finals then take the 10 day break? It sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyfanDan View Post
                It's a lot of fun but also hard work to keep up with the madness. A couple years ago it all started when the famous wvu moonshiner just started his journey and he posted on what I guess is the wvu b12 board now on scout that he was hearing from his sources blah blah. He finished off hi like 10 paragraph post with a SEC with 18 teams. It was split by slashes and had WVU, MD and I think VT in the SEc east. Every since I read that and watched what beams of "insiders" I knew I had to have me some of that lol.

Sometimes certain levels of crazy are to much fun to let go of. In all honesty I think more CR will happen and that UConn is trying to get a B1G or ACC invite, but no meeting in secret every Tuesday and power points and all that jazz is so FRUCKING dumb that it's hilarious that those guys still have followers years later.

Seriously though, why did UConn make its schedule like this. I get that most schools have a 10+ day break right, but not a 20 something day break? It's absurd. Maybe I never noticed it before as I was more of a check a score guy then pay attention but holy cow...why can't we play games until this weekend around finals then take the 10 day break? It sucks.
                This is common around college hockey and IIRC, part of it is mandated.

---

IMO, I think UConn to B10 is the most likely possibility.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I thought this was a great paragraph from a recent Courant article to help keep this in perspective..

"after just three victories there also have been four ties, including one at Boston University, now the top-ranked team in the nation, and four one-goal losses. Only three games have been decided by more than two goals. It's important to remember that UConn, a team with nine freshmen, is awarding just 10 scholarships this season, eight shy of the Hockey East maximum. The Huskies, previously of Atlantic Hockey, are for now at a disadvantage in talent and experience just about every time they take the ice and have been competitive nonetheless. UConn's conference record is 2-4-1."

The determination of these kids is very impressive. The old line of "will beats skill" occasionally does happen, but this team consistently channels that will and determination to give themselves a chance in every game against the best competition in the nation.

Hell of a win last night, proud to be a Husky fan.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkStar12 View Post
                    Hell of a win last night, proud to be a Husky fan.
                    +1 Just wish the tournament was in Hartford where it would draw a good crowd. 3750 isn't bad, but they could have gotten 8000 in Hartford the first night playing the defending national champion; and, as it turned out, tonight as well.
                    Last edited by RSTuthill; 12-28-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I think it's fair to say around 2k here tonight. Been a great weekend of puck. No score here early. Hey PA guy, more little big town, less pop crap. This isn't a bluefish game.

Comment

Great broadcast by CPTV. Abysmal turnout accentuated by the presence of the TV cameras. The place looked empty. They need to build the brand on home turf before trying to branch out.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                          Great broadcast by CPTV. Abysmal turnout accentuated by the presence of the TV cameras. The place looked empty. They need to build the brand on home turf before trying to branch out.
                          Definite thanks to CPTV for the broadcast. Angles were good. Announcers, not so much (took them almost the entire first period to figure out who was in net for Lowell).
                          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I agree that the tournament was a bad idea for many reasons. The timing, the location, etc. Good thing this is a one and done for UConn.

Last night was a boring game, but one that UConn played very well. They withstood a short sustained flurry right after UML scored their first goal and started fighting back in the second and third. Credit the staff for getting these guys to fight like they do night in and night out, but they need to find a couple snipers, because they are having such a hard time scoring goals.

End result, they went toe to toe with the two-time defending Hockeyeast champion and have nothing to show for it. Winning championships is the ultimate goal and they let this one slip away, but if someone asked what a satisfactory result would be going into a weekend against Union and UML, a split would be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkStar12 View Post
                              I agree that the tournament was a bad idea for many reasons. The timing, the location, etc. Good thing this is a one and done for UConn.
                              Is there still an all CT tournament (UConn, Yale, QU and Sacred Heart) in the works?

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                Definite thanks to CPTV for the broadcast. Angles were good. Announcers, not so much (took them almost the entire first period to figure out who was in net for Lowell).
                                Yes, the announcers were not so good. But the camera work was great and I do not so much listen to the announcers anyway. Btw, they said UConn had never beaten Union before. Is that true? Thought they beat them and tied them once fairly recently. Like in the last decade.

Btw, two of the best games on the schedule will be in Bridgeport this month. Notre Dame and Colorado College. What on earth is this preoccupation with playing home games away from Hartford???? It absolutely sux!! It seems like they are going out of their way to NOT build a fan base locally.

Comment

Working...
                                X