UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn 2014-2015: Let the Hockey East Era Begin

You've got a great coach. Don't think it will take you long to be consistently better than, for instance, UMass-Amherst. And based on what we saw this year I think UConn could probably be even with Merrimack pretty quickly, though maybe Merrimack rebuilds.

The XL Center will always be too big. Even if UConn hockey becomes a huge thing, it will never fill an AHL arena consistently - big time Eastern college hockey crowds are 6k, 7k, 8k tops. But I am looking forward to attending games there and getting the downtown vibe, and soaking in some Whalers history (plus I'm sure plenty of BC alums in CT will make the trip, which will be fun )

If UConn builds a nice on-campus facility and hangs on to Cavanaugh they can be a decent factor in hEA long term.
    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
    -
    Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Good luck UConn, you guys are in store for some trial by fire. We'll miss beating up on you and ending your season. - xo RIT
      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        what went wrong with the huskies down the stretch this year?
        Ya know, I was spending too much time skiing to get out to Freitas during the stretch run. But what was posted, and I suppose is now the conventional wisdom, is that the power play fell apart for whatever reason. And they just did not play well in front of their senior goalkeeper Matt Grogan who had them in every game he played. Oddly enough, they won almost every game with freshman Robby Nichols in net. So I dunno, maybe a division between the scholarship players and the non-scholarship players? In any event, the consistency went to heck and they started leaving points on the table. It was disappointing to say the least. But that was then. This is now. They gotta hill to climb and they ain't gonna get there unless they are all pulling in the same direction.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
          Grew up in a UVM family and son went to Union during the Sneddon era. So that is not a likely avenue. And UML graciously came to our tournament as well as scheduled us during the RS. UM-A likewise. Providence had the good grace to lose to us this year despite taking something like 50+ shots. So no go there.

I don't think we're gonna fit in too well in HE. We don't really trash talk about other teams. We have a tendency to wring our hands about our own team's lack of consistency and get overly excited when the Huskies upset someone. When the latter happens, we immediately raise the bar and demand that it happen every time. I am probably one of the worst in that regard.
          Though, We'll be happy to talk trash about other teams once we have a bit of success. This is pretty exciting for those of us who have followed UConn hockey since the outdoor rink days. I never quite got the excitment of events like Frozen Fenway. I was thrilled when UConn finally moved its games inside!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            Was wondering more about a new on campus facility.
            Word I heard is that the siting study is underway and will be completed Juneish. Right now the leading location is X-lot (northwest campus area)where the new student rec center will be located, though that is more speculation and could change based on the study. Rumor is the first puck will be dropped there to open the 2016-17 season. Until then HEA games at the XL, some non-league events at Freitas. I agree with Dick, for what its worth. 10th place next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
              Though, We'll be happy to talk trash about other teams once we have a bit of success.
              Well, I suppose, that's a given. But not you or me, Jim. Unless of course we have to return fire or "go into a corner for the puck". Then we are all elbows.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                Well, I suppose, that's a given. But not you or me, Jim. Unless of course we have to return fire or "go into a corner for the puck". Then we are all elbows.

Comment

PC is in the UConn tourney this year
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    Yup, we are looking forward to that. Not sure if it will count as a RS game or not which is what was done when UConn was in the AHA. If not, then we probably won't meet in the first round. Either way works for me. We get to see some quality hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      Looks like the UCONN tournament is no more. UCONN, Quinny, Sacred Heart, and Union are playing at Webster Bank in Bridgeport that time frame. Looks like it is the first edition of the "CT Cup" they have been trying to work out. Says while not this year it looks favorably that Yale will be a part of it in the future.

http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey guys....UVM grad who grew up near the Uconn campus here. Great to see you guys joining Hockey East after decades of speculation. Welcome to the league.

As others have said, I expect you'll struggle short term, but medium to long term I don't see any reason why you can't be just as good as many of the other teams in HE. Like the rest of us in HE, you'll find it is pretty much impossible to crack the group of BC/BU and the like. But 10 years from now I'll be surprised if you aren't on the same level as UVM/Maine/Providence/Lowell and better than Mass Amherst and Mack. It's the right spot for Uconn and you guys should do great over time.

Meanwhile, go Huskies vs Florida!

Comment

Originally posted by pucks711 View Post
                          Looks like the UCONN tournament is no more. UCONN, Quinny, Sacred Heart, and Union are playing at Webster Bank in Bridgeport that time frame. Looks like it is the first edition of the "CT Cup" they have been trying to work out. Says while not this year it looks favorably that Yale will be a part of it in the future.

http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com/
                          Someone is wrong as PC beat writer tweeted this out

https://twitter.com/markdivver/status/451067240368984064
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Yup. Will have to wait and see I guess. I'm interested to see if being in hockey east increases the amount of home non conference games they get and maybe some more high profile teams. Exciting times.

Comment

From an "Original 7" Hockey East program, welcome aboard! It will be fun having a new HE road trip since we lost a bunch of conference games because of you and ND:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
                                Great to see you guys joining Hockey East after decades of speculation.
                                Thanks much, our thoughts exactly. Especially the decades part. The state of CT finally got off the schneid. It took a new governor, a new AD, and a new UConn president who all liked hockey ... and wanted to make their mark coming in ... to make it happen. We longtime fans thought it would never ever ever ever (did I mention ever?) happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X