This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College...the battle goes on...Boston twice in 15

Brown is like Merrimack and UNH when it comes to PC. No matter what kind of year the teams may be having they seem to play each other tough. To me it's like the Jets/Patriots.
    I agree that PC needs to go 3-0 over the next three games but it wouldn't surprise me to see 2-1 or even 1-2.

Saturday night's attendance should be sparse but let's hope for the best! (Said the guy who sold his Pats tickets in the hope of seeing the AFC Championship game at Gillette the following week.)

Comment

[QUOTE=PC91;6073256
      I agree that PC needs to go 3-0 over the next three games but it wouldn't surprise me to see 2-1 or even 1-2.
      [/QUOTE]
      Agreed. Worse Brown teams have beaten better PC teams. I feel like Brown has these games (and Harvard) circled on their calendars. And that's a much better team than they've showed. We need to do what we didn't do against CC and step on their throats and not let them back.

As far as the SMT's go, I don't think they are remotely as bad as their record indicates. We just have to hope they fixed the ice at the Whittemore Center this time.
      Last edited by Jon; 01-09-2015, 12:10 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by PC91 View Post
        Brown is like Merrimack and UNH when it comes to PC. No matter what kind of year the teams may be having they seem to play each other tough. To me it's like the Jets/Patriots.
        This is a bit of revisionist history- lest ye forget, up until VERY recently (let's say dating back three years or so), Brown ad PC were similarly awful programs. And even when PC was good a decade ago (Nolan Schafer era), so was Brown (Yann Danis era).

So, it's not exactly David vs. Goliath here. Certainly, the talent disparity is wide this year, but that's actually an anomaly within the context of this old, old rivalry. I forget which team, but the all-time series leader holds a 46-44 margin (or something similar to that).

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Agreed. Worse Brown teams have beaten better PC teams. I feel like Brown has these games (and Harvard) circled on their calendars. And that's a much better team than they've showed. We need to do what we didn't do against CC and step on their throats and not let them back.

As far as the SMT's go, I don't think they are remotely as bad as their record indicates. We just have to hope they fixed the ice at the Whittemore Center this time.
          UNH did have a women's game canceled on Sunday for the same issue in the same spot.
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            This is a bit of revisionist history- lest ye forget, up until VERY recently (let's say dating back three years or so), Brown ad PC were similarly awful programs. And even when PC was good a decade ago (Nolan Schafer era), so was Brown (Yann Danis era).

So, it's not exactly David vs. Goliath here. Certainly, the talent disparity is wide this year, but that's actually an anomaly within the context of this old, old rivalry. I forget which team, but the all-time series leader holds a 46-44 margin (or something similar to that).
            PC has the historical "edge" if you can call it that.
            If I remember corrrectly, Yan Dennis's era came after Schaefer's. This the point where Pooley started to lose the plot and the Dump and Watch came into vogue.
            My comment had more to do with the Friars from 1995-2001 who always found a way to lose the Mayor's Cup. Two of those team went to the NCAA's and the 1999 version was one of the last teams left out.

And let's not impugn any college hockey team by comparing them to the Jets. That's just mean.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
            -Blackadder
            -Casablanca
            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
              PC has the historical "edge" if you can call it that.
              If I remember corrrectly, Yan Dennis's era came after Schaefer's. This the point where Pooley started to lose the plot and the Dump and Watch came into vogue.
              My comment had more to do with the Friars from 1995-2001 who always found a way to lose the Mayor's Cup. Two of those team went to the NCAA's and the 1999 version was one of the last teams left out.

And let's not impugn any college hockey team by comparing them to the Jets. That's just mean.
              It was the Jets thing that got me all riled up.

Plus, if we're the Jets, in which universe are you the Pats? Aren't you more like the Dolphins?

Comment

It was the Jets thing that got me all riled up.

Plus, if we're the Jets, in which universe are you the Pats? Aren't you more like the Dolphins?
                No, the Dolphins won things in the 70's.

-Blackadder
                -Casablanca
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I thought the Brown band had dramatically improved, and then I realized it was the Townies band. Some college bands should take a lesson.

Comment

Interested to hear a PC perspective- I was standing right above Gillies and thought the Brown goal should have counted. Was anyone else close by? What did you think?

Comment

Not a chance it was a goal. Knew it would get tipped
                      He ran him over. That's Gillies space.
                      Good game by Brown, blocked a lot of shots

Comment

Interested to hear a PC perspective- I was standing right above Gillies and thought the Brown goal should have counted. Was anyone else close by? What did you think?
                        I was right beside you...no way that is a goal ever. Any contact with the goalie is supposed to be no goal...I have seen pucks sitting in front of a goalie's pad and the players touch the pad of the goalie and they waive it off.

I am more surprised it was called a goal on the ice and no penalty for goalie interference?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          I was right beside you...no way that is a goal ever. Any contact with the goalie is supposed to be no goal...I have seen pucks sitting in front of a goalie's pad and the players touch the pad of the goalie and they waive it off.

I am more surprised it was called a goal on the ice and no penalty for goalie interference?
                          I'll have to watch the replay of the game when they post it. Looked to me like a PC defender crashed into Gillies; not Lappin.

I was also flummoxed by the no goal decision, and subsequent lack of penalty. If it isn't a goal due to goaltender interference, shouldn't the culprit be penalized? Some consistency in the officiating would be nice.

Comment

Providence Journal game recap.
                            http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...cup-opener.ece

Comment

From my seat it was clear the Brown player ran right over Gillies. No goal was the right call. A typical Brown - PC game.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                                I'll have to watch the replay of the game when they post it. Looked to me like a PC defender crashed into Gillies; not Lappin.

I was also flummoxed by the no goal decision, and subsequent lack of penalty. If it isn't a goal due to goaltender interference, shouldn't the culprit be penalized? Some consistency in the officiating would be nice.
                                I seen that call three times now this year and none of them have been penalties....

Comment

Working...
                                X