The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

I agree Freddie that we play the Big Ten even or tell them to take a hike. Michigan and Michigan State have demanded a 2 to 1 where as Ohio State was willing to do a 1 to 1 or a 2 to 2 agreement. From that Ohio State was on our schedule this season and will be as well the next two seasons at least. No Michigan or Michigan State this year or next as it should be. If we were good enough to be league mates for 30 years or so, we are good enough now!

GO BG! Roll Along!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      I think there is reason to be concerned for a future shakeup and how it affects UAH, UAA, and UAF. We are the geographical outliers after all.

First off, the Alaska are a package deal now. I just don't see them splitting up again unless they face dire circumstances (which is a possibility). We like being in the same conference, it has elevated our rivalry for sure.

All of this is going to hinge on the loyalties of Bemidji and Mankato. I don't believe much on the Miami and Western Mich swap rumors, at least the Western end of it. Budget issues aside, WMU campaigned hard to get into the NCHC. I don't see them giving up this early. Anyway, those rumors depend on how BSU and MSU feel where they fit best. If they go to the NCHC they have a better chance at making money, but they're also likely to be at doormat status if they go. Odds are, they have a better chance of success in the WCHA, but if the price is right... The other factor being, how do they feel about the NCHC schools? Are they upset? Would they care to leave the NCHC schools hanging in the wind? Or do they have a loyalty to their fellow Minnesota schools?
      I'm pretty good with inside sources here in Mankato. From what I've heard, there is full intention to try and get back with the old conference foes, aka, the NCHC.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83
        Really. Donnie boy, I worked in the WCHA before Alaska Anchorage was even a member of the WCHA. I recall playing Anchorage in the NCAA tourney in 91 and being a part of the production for what was then the Alaska Sports Network. I also recall the entry of UAA into the league. When UAA came to the WCHA and UAF to the CCHA. I also know that having a strong record against WCHA teams helped us into the NCAA tourney four years ago and had us right on the cusp, first team out three years ago. Where were you when I was standing there having a cup of coffee and chatting with Brush Christensen prior to those games in the early 90s?
        Once again you fail to read prior to launching yet another ad hominem attack.

I said that "you never really experienced the bump in pairwise that was part of being in the WCHA" (even though you quoted it) gave to the league's teams. And you hadn't. Had you? Was NMU in the WCHA when the pairwise was introduced? Nope. Was NMU in the WCHA when it fully dominated college hockey from 97 to 06 including when ALL FOUR of the Frozen Four teams was from the WCHA? Nope. Many of those years UAA wasn't particularly successful in the league yet in the pairwise they finished as high or nearly as high as this year. Why? Pairwise bump.

And since you desire some sort of *****-measuring contest ... I attended my first UAA hockey game in the 1984-1985 season immediately after I returned to Anchorage from my 4 years in the Air Force. I was one of the first 100 people to have season tickets (#81 if I recall correctly). In those nearly 30 years I'd estimate that I attended pretty close to 500 Seawolves hockey games and listened to nearly as many on the radio. Unlike you, I won't stoop to silly name dropping but suffice to say that anyone you've met over the years associated with Seawolves hockey is someone with whom I've certainly had more contact. Seawolves hockey isn't my only experience with the sport either. But again, not relevant here.

You really need to exercise some sort of care when addressing yourself to me in this place. Cos you've looked nothing but stupid nearly every time.

So ... none of what you've said is germane to the topic. Get over your little hard-on for me. I simply do not care what you think of me or how you perceive me. I've self-applied more negative labels regarding my communications style on the internet than you can generate in what seems to be an ill-functioning brain.
        Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-01-2014, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          I'm pretty good with inside sources here in Mankato. From what I've heard, there is full intention to try and get back with the old conference foes, aka, the NCHC.

Really surprised if true?

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            Once again you fail to read prior to launching yet another ad hominem attack.

I said that "you never really experienced the bump in pairwise that was part of being in the WCHA" (even though you quoted it) gave to the league's teams. And you hadn't. Had you? Was NMU in the WCHA when the pairwise was introduced? Nope. Was NMU in the WCHA when it fully dominated college hockey from 97 to 06 including when ALL FOUR of the Frozen Four teams was from the WCHA? Nope. Many of those years UAA wasn't particularly successful in the league yet in the pairwise they finished as high or nearly as high as this year. Why? Pairwise bump.

And since you desire some sort of *****-measuring contest ... I attended my first UAA hockey game in the 1984-1985 season immediately after I returned to Anchorage from my 4 years in the Air Force. I was one of the first 100 people to have season tickets (#81 if I recall correctly). In those nearly 30 years I'd estimate that I attended pretty close to 500 Seawolves hockey games and listened to nearly as many on the radio. Unlike you, I won't stoop to silly name dropping but suffice to say that anyone you've met over the years associated with Seawolves hockey is someone with whom I've certainly had more contact. Seawolves hockey isn't my only experience with the sport either. But again, not relevant here.

You really need to exercise some sort of care when addressing yourself to me in this place. Cos you've looked nothing but stupid nearly every time.

So ... none of what you've said is germane to the topic. Get over your little hard-on for me. I simply do not care what you think of me or how you perceive me. I've self-applied more negative labels regarding my communications style on the internet than you can generate in what seems to be an ill-functioning brain.
            My fault. I mistook you for someone much much younger. My apologies. In acknowledging my error, I'll remove my prior post.

And while we may exchange unpleasantries, I do wish to tip my cap to you and all of those who have served our great country. Enjoy your summer.
            Last edited by davyd83; 04-01-2014, 06:48 AM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don't see anyone from Bemidji bolting early for the pros. Cory Ward and Brendon Harms would be the two likely candidates, but I don't see it happening, at least this year. If they did, they would end up in the low minors, I feel.

Now if anyone leaves school due to other reasons, that is always a possibility but I have not heard anything.

As for scheduling, BSU is in an good postition geographically to pick up non-conference games. We already have the North Star Cup contract with the in-state schools. UND is just up the road and is very open to doing a home and home every year. Last year, BSU played at St. Cloud, so I see a return trip from the Huskies to Bemidji this year and may become a longer running contract. I have also heard that UMD eventually would like to set something up with BSU, but that would be a few years down the road due to UMD's schedules being full. With a 28 game conference schedule and those possible contracts, BSU would be at 36 games. On the year they travel to both Fairbanks and Anchorage, they would just have to pick up two more games.
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this timeline, but I'm pretty sure I'm right:
                With the scheduled dissolving of the CHA, Bemidji (and I think UAH, I may be wrong about them) inquired to the WCHA for a spot (the CCHA was at 12, WCHA at 10). The WCHA wanted Bemidji, but also wanted an even number of teams. The WCHA asked NMU to be the 12th team. NMU said no because of the added financials of flying to Colorado and paying their own way to Anchorage, along with the loss of playing so many games in lower Michigan.

UNO, with Blais at the helm, was then asked to be the 12th team.

Bowling Green was the popular pick if you had to say a CCHA team was going to fold in the 11 team CCHA, but my feelings are there was a team or two that was much closer than BGSU. No proof, but it's a feeling that the BGSU talk was a mis-direction.

I am glad to have UAH in the new WCHA fold and I hope they can recover from being kicked around so much the last few years; but I still think the CCHA's exclusion of them was right, at the time. The CCHA needed to get it's house in order, and ham fisting acceptance of UAH into the league wasn't appropriate.

I think that while the travel costs may have gone up for all New WCHA, the arrangement has been much more amicable than whatever the CCHA would have done.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

As I recall it, we inquired with the WCHA and found out that we were way down the list. When it was clear that the WCHA was going to poach a CCHA member, it made sense for us to look at the league that far better fit our travel profile.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    I hate it but it makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      NMU declined because of the increased expenditures with travel to Denver & CC and the lesser subsidy from UAA plus a restriction on payout from the WCHA tourney for the first couple seasons it would be in the league. Financially, switching leagues would have been a bad deal at that point.'
                      http://www.dailypress.net/page/conte...id/512141.html
                      But the second time around two trips to Alaska and one to Alabama looked better then going to Colorado.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                        But the second time around two trips to Alaska and one to Alabama looked better then going to Colorado.
                        The second time around, there were no entry fees and when NMU rejoined the league it was set to be UAA, Mankato, Bemidji, St Cloud, Tech and NMU. Then St Cloud skipped out the back door and the scramble that ensued added LSSU, Ferris, Bowling Green and Huntsville.

The two trips to Alaska and one to Huntsville are partially funded by the host schools. Denver & CC offered no financial inducements. Those Colorado trips are among the reasons NMU left the WCHA in the first place.
                        Last edited by davyd83; 04-01-2014, 04:29 PM.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The second time around, there were no entry fees and when NMU rejoined the league it was set to be UAA, Mankato, Bemidji, St Cloud, Tech and NMU. Then St Cloud skipped out the back door and the scramble that ensued added LSSU, Ferris, Bowling Green and Huntsville.

The two trips to Alaska and one to Huntsville are partially funded by the host schools. Denver & CC offered no financial inducements. Those Colorado trips are among the reasons NMU left the WCHA in the first place.
                          The WCHA was NMUs only choice the second time around.

That or they could have joined the CCHA display case at BGSU.

Comment

It's not the money. It's that I'd have to reliquish my duties with NMU.
                            Apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                              The WCHA was NMUs only choice the second time around.

That or they could have joined the CCHA display case at BGSU.
                              That's incorrect. They could have stayed with LSSU, Ferris, BG and Fairbanks, added Huntsville and continued the CCHA.

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                That's incorrect. They could have stayed with LSSU, Ferris, BG and Fairbanks, added Huntsville and continued the CCHA.
                                Boy, a six-team league with Fairbanks and Huntsville and 16 non-conference games would've been rough. We certainly would've been happy to be a part of it, but that would have been a very weird league.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X