The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Green Bay can't host the tourney until at least 2021. All we need is a destination city with a mid sized arena in a central location with plenty of restaurants, bars, hotels and attractions within walking distance or a short drive of the rink!
    Vegas!
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

I'd go for Toledo in a heartbeat. I think if you guaranteed more than one year to them and promoted it well each year you'd grow. There's a lot of NMU/MTU/ Ferris/ LSSU alumni in the Detroit area, and the rink is nice. You'd also need bg to Guarantee not to leave during that period though.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I'd go for Toledo in a heartbeat. I think if you guaranteed more than one year to them and promoted it well each year you'd grow. There's a lot of NMU/MTU/ Ferris/ LSSU alumni in the Detroit area, and the rink is nice. You'd also need bg to Guarantee not to leave during that period though.
        Just don't drink the water!!!

I kid, I kid....not really though.

Comment

These are state schools. There would be significant political implications to holding the conference tournament in a state that doesn't have a school in the conference. Legislators would certainly be asking why the financial rewards were going to Illinois or Wisconsin.
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the schools would want to receive the largest share possible when the WCHA, as a 501C3, 'distributes it's surplus funds to member organizations at the end of each year with equal amounts to each organization.' So why not hold the championship wherever gets the WCHA the biggest income?

And, if thanks to sponsorship dollars, half empty Grand Rapids or St. Paul brings in more money, then so be it.
            Last edited by aparch; 08-26-2014, 05:37 AM.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Toledo has a large number of good places to eat downtown including Tony Packos and The Maumee Bay Brewing Company. Another place to go that is within walking distance is The Toledo Museum of Art, which is considered world class. On top of that is the world class Toledo Zoo, one of the first zoos in the world to host pandas outside of China. There is plenty to do and see there.

Comment

Interesting rumbling from the Let's Play Hockey Twitter account this morning.

"@LetsPlay_Hockey: Piggybacking off of reports by @HouseOfSparky and @chnews, progress is being made toward Arizona State adding NCAA Division I hockey.

The ASU administration is in the due diligence phase. Logical landing areas initially could be the NCHC or WCHA (eventually Pac-12?).

Arizona State currently has three teams playing ACHA (club) hockey. The Division 1 team is the defending national champion.

ASU’s D1 team has a budget of $350,000 & recently received a $250,000 gift for a new locker room/training center at Oceanside Ice Arena.

ASU’s [ACHA] D1 team plays a 40-game schedule & has 7 former USHL players on its roster, including recent Northeastern transfer Ryan Belonger.

ASU sells out home gms w/ 800 fans. When facing archrival Arizona on the road at the Tucson Convention Ctr, gms sell out w/ 7,000 fans.

Arizona State hockey opened camp yesterday with 150 players trying out. The [ACHA] D1 team’s first game is on Sept. 19 vs. Niagara.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Interesting rumbling from the Let's Play Hockey Twitter account this morning.
                  On one hand, do we really need a larger footprint, on the other, another warm weather road trip destination would be fun.

I highly doubt they end up in the WCHA. The bigger question is what will the WCHA do when the backstabbers lure MSU-M away to stay at an even number?
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    On one hand, do we really need a larger footprint, on the other, another warm weather road trip destination would be fun.

I highly doubt they end up in the WCHA. The bigger question is what will the WCHA do when the backstabbers lure MSU-M away to stay at an even number?
                    If ASU were to announce today that they were fielding a D-1 NCAA Hockey program, it would likely be 2017 before they became a full time conference member. Look for more changes in the landscape before they can even get started.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                      Toledo has a large number of good places to eat downtown including Tony Packos and The Maumee Bay Brewing Company. Another place to go that is within walking distance is The Toledo Museum of Art, which is considered world class. On top of that is the world class Toledo Zoo, one of the first zoos in the world to host pandas outside of China. There is plenty to do and see there.
                      For Ohio I'd much prefer Columbus or Cincinnati.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

It would solve the conference tourney issues. Who doesn't like Phoenix in March?

That said, I have a hard time seeing ASU joining up with a bunch of D2/3 schools and Bowling Green.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          so would I. but we were talking about 6,000-8000 seat arenas that are within the WCHA footprint. U.S. Bank Arena is too big, and Value City Arena is too big and a tomb.
                          The Walleye drew 6,000/game again last season at the Huntington--a tournament can sell in Toledo, if it's done right.
                          Last edited by blackswampboy; 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM.
                          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            You're kidding, right? Cincy has some redeemable areas but an old arena with bad Frozen Four memories, surrounded by questionable 'hoods. Columbus is Cleveland in a cornfield, and they only care about Ohio State and the B1G. Neither city is within the league footprint.

Toledo has a decent downtown and a brand new arena that is perfectly-sized.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              It would solve the conference tourney issues. Who doesn't like Phoenix in March?

That said, I have a hard time seeing ASU joining up with a bunch of D2/3 schools and Bowling Green.
                              so you think st cloud and uno are much more desirable? really? or CC, now there's a big name school.
                              I'm sure they are running the numbers, but they are not really attractive, After all they do need a new rink to start with plus a few other things.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Toledo has a decent downtown and a brand new arena that is perfectly-sized.
                                If they fill the building, what percentage of each team's fans do you see making up the 7300 in attendance?
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X