Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    This is very true. I've always thought the nWCHA F5 should be in MSP or Chicago for that reason.
    For being a huge hockey hotbed, the MSP is desperately lacking a 6000-8000 seat arena (at least that I can think of). That would be a perfect size for the WCHA tournament, and there is a gap in high school hockey sectional locations now that the Hippodrome is officially shutdown for hockey. I believe that all of the high school rinks are too small, and Mariucci and the Xcel are too big.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      For being a huge hockey hotbed, the MSP is desperately lacking a 6000-8000 seat arena (at least that I can think of). That would be a perfect size for the WCHA tournament, and there is a gap in high school hockey sectional locations now that the Hippodrome is officially shutdown for hockey. I believe that all of the high school rinks are too small, and Mariucci and the Xcel are too big.
      If only Ridder were a little bigger. The location, quality of the facility, and atmosphere are great. You could go WCHA men's and women's in the same weekend.

Comment

My favorite for the tourney was the Resch Center in Green Bay. It's the right sized arena, and has a central location, plenty of hotels, restaurants, bars and shopping nearby. But the arena has extended their contract to host the WIAA Girls Basketball Tourney the same weekend through 2020, so that's no longer an option.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          My favorite for the tourney was the Resch Center in Green Bay. It's the right sized arena, and has a central location, plenty of hotels, restaurants, bars and shopping nearby. But the arena has extended their contract to host the WIAA Girls Basketball Tourney the same weekend through 2020, so that's no longer an option.
          I think many would agree that the Resch Center would be about as good as the WCHA could do. Its unfortunate that basketball exists.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was about to say no way the nWCHA would hold its tourney on a Bi6 campus, but I totally neglected to consider the women's aspect of the WCHA and their connections as well. IMO, Ritter is waaay too small at only 3400 seats. If you're going to put it on their campus then you might as well use Mariucci (10,000). That's about the smallest "big rink" you're going to find in the MSP area.

It won't be possible to host the men's and women's tourney the same weekend because the women's season wraps two weeks earlier than the men. (The women's Frozen Four is the same weekend as the WCHA men's tourney.)

Maybe we could invite the Gophers men's team to play an "across the ice" 3v3 exhibition game between periods of the championship game to help boost ticket sales?

Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Do we really think that we need 8,000 seats? Last year's tournament attendance: MSU-BGSU 2,700; FSU-UAA 4,494; FSU-MSU 3,968. It really helped that the closest school to the venue played twice, but we're not going to get that every year, not with the UP schools and the UA schools being 60% of the conference and not within an easy car ride of the venue. Don't get me wrong, needing the Mariucci every year for the tournament would be a great thing, but for those us of from farther-away places, we're not very likely to go just because our team got there. (I mean, I would, but I'm crazy.)

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

There were more people in the big ten tailgate parking lot watching that game than there were in the arena.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  Do we really think that we need 8,000 seats? Last year's tournament attendance: MSU-BGSU 2,700; FSU-UAA 4,494; FSU-MSU 3,968. It really helped that the closest school to the venue played twice, but we're not going to get that every year, not with the UP schools and the UA schools being 60% of the conference and not within an easy car ride of the venue. Don't get me wrong, needing the Mariucci every year for the tournament would be a great thing, but for those us of from farther-away places, we're not very likely to go just because our team got there. (I mean, I would, but I'm crazy.)

GFM
                  Agreed!
                  6,000 seats would appear to be ample.

Comment

So the solution is to get Duluth back into the WCHA, trade BG for them and then hold the tournament there.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      So the solution is to get Duluth back into the WCHA, trade BG for them and then hold the tournament there.
                      Or start a movement to outlaw basketball in WI?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Or start a movement to outlaw basketball in WI?
                        No, just start movement to "make things fair" by having the girls tournament in the same building as the boys to get them out of the resch center!
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          I know this was being facetious, so I won't have to point out again that BG is the only full D-1 school in the WCHA and thus provides the only way that the league retains a seat at the D-1 level for rules and regulations. With only D-2 and D-3 members, the league would be at the mercy of the other D-1 leagues in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            I know this was being facetious, so I won't have to point out again that BG is the only full D-1 school in the WCHA and thus provides the only way that the league retains a seat at the D-1 level for rules and regulations. With only D-2 and D-3 members, the league would be at the mercy of the other D-1 leagues in that regard.
                            On another note, the league no longer has any D-3 members...CC left.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              So, add another D1 school. Isn't Robert Morris D1 in everything? (Yes, I know that this would make travel even worse)

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Looks like America One Sports has their 2014-15 WCHA season pass available for $150. The details say it expires 3/8/15, but I didn’t sign up so I’m not sure if there are any “not available yet” type error messages later in the process.

I am hoping for some sort of early bird discount so I’ll hold off for a while and see if there is any announcement from the WCHA. I bought America One last year and watched a lot of games (or parts thereof). From Fairbanks I can watch conference games starting about 3:00 in the afternoon, right up until our 7:00 start times. Love the time zones changes, but it’s tough on the beer budget.

Comment

Working...
                                X