The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

I see that people are actually taking the Pony seriously again. The only explanations are that he is a terribly executed troll/double account, or the person behind it is so dumb that they struggle to function in normal society.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
      This "short period of time" is a standard excuse. Get a top ten list from every team and total it up and get to work.
      TV/PPV was a sprint last summer even when there was clear direction on what to do. Now we have new leadership and probably don't have access to Fox Sports Go (is that even a thing anymore?) still.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        TV/PPV was a sprint last summer even when there was clear direction on what to do. Now we have new leadership and probably don't have access to Fox Sports Go (is that even a thing anymore?) still.

GFM
        Coming from the less than noble PR industry, the new commish should understand that often one must "give a taste" of the product in order to generate an interest. It's actually a lot like old time drug dealing. The AmericaOne deal blows goats. I hope he sees that. The key demographic which will go towards building a future where junior players consider the WCHA as preferential is canadian and american youth hockey. Making the webcasts available without cost for that part of the interest audience will only benefit the league in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          Coming from the less than noble PR industry, the new commish should understand that often one must "give a taste" of the product in order to generate an interest. It's actually a lot like old time drug dealing. The AmericaOne deal blows goats. I hope he sees that. The key demographic which will go towards building a future where junior players consider the WCHA as preferential is canadian and american youth hockey. Making the webcasts available without cost for that part of the interest audience will only benefit the league in the long run.
          I'm all for reducing or eliminating the cost to the video. What I haven't seen yet is a way to pay to offset the costs. There's not a ton of parity in the broadcasts, ranging from Bemidji and Mankato on the high end and UAH on the low end. While at some point it is up to the member schools to improve the product (and I will leave my commentary on what makes for a better UAH broadcast up to the people in Huntsville that can effect those changes), the league has to have standards and come toward some sense of uniformity. Not everyone was using HD cameras last year, which we were supposed to be required as a part of the Fox Sports Go contract. While things got better as the season went on (although my p-b-p did not), things should get better still in terms of putting out a standard broadcast: 16:9, two cameras, two-person broadcast team, constant score-clock overlay with capability to indicate power plays (who, time remaining), and so on.

Now, maybe the new commish can make all of this happen in an off season and can either get us a league sponsor to offset the PPV revenue from last year. I bet AmericaONE would be happy to carry our games without charging customers as long as the league is paying them $X per game. But I won't be holding my breath for the turnaround to happen this summer. Should it happen for 14-15? Yeah. Does it absolutely need to happen for 15-16? Darn tootin'.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            Now how do the schools recoup the expenses? It's one thing to say "sell lots of sponsors." It's another to actually get major sponsors for mostly small markets and score really high on the national recognition scale. What would Delta Airlines or Wells Fargo gain by reducing their regional sports sponsorships with the Big Ten or the regional Fox Sports affiliates and spending those dollars with the WCHA? I wish it were much easier. As for having the schools pay, where do you get that money from? It has to come from another area of the budget. Does your team take it out of travel? Recruiting? Equipment? Staff salaries?
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The vast majority of sports programs in the NCAA are non-revenue generating. Deal with it or drop your program. Stop with the "we cannot afford it because blah blah blah ..."; get to affording it or get to going buhbye. Simple as that. There is little to nothing that a WCHA membership is going to do to suddenly turn your program into a money maker. Making that a concern as a fan is akin to a WalMart employee imagining that one day his retail career is going to net him a sweet quarter-million dollar home. Your team is where it is and is what it is.

Comment

The vast majority of sports programs in the NCAA are non-revenue generating. Deal with it or drop your program. Stop with the "we cannot afford it because blah blah blah ..."; get to affording it or get to going buhbye. Simple as that. There is little to nothing that a WCHA membership is going to do to suddenly turn your program into a money maker. Making that a concern as a fan is akin to a WalMart employee imagining that one day his retail career is going to net him a sweet quarter-million dollar home. Your team is where it is and is what it is.
                And the vast majority of those non-revenue sports are not available to be watched online for free, are they? Makes sense to not dig a bigger hole over a few eyeballs watching for free. So get off your high horse about expecting the WCHA to provide video feeds for free to all games...it just doesn't make sense for the league without a partnership with fox or something similar.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                  He can find out real quick the WCHA isn't the NHL.
                  I have a sneaking suspicion that he already knows.
                  Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    And the vast majority of those non-revenue sports are not available to be watched online for free, are they?
                    You'd be surprised.
                    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/sp...4sandomir.html
                    http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/...caa-regionals/
                    http://www.collegesportsdirect.com/

Makes sense to not dig a bigger hole over a few eyeballs watching for free.
                    It isn't enlarging the hole. You just think it means something to put a half a shovel of dirt in it.

It's 2014 ... stop living in 1999.

Comment

You'd be surprised.

It isn't enlarging the hole. You just think it means something to put a half a shovel of dirt in it.

Your first 2 links are NCAA tournament games, that isn't the same as expecting the WCHA to offer all games for free?
                      You're third link, I'm not sure what you're trying to show me...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

You'd be surprised.

Having been to a few D-I Baseball regionals along with attending the SEC Tournament at Hoover Met several times, I can guarantee you that these are not non revenue sports.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          You rank right up there with Pink Pony. Except the Pony has more class. But hey, feel free to "Eat a G!antB@gofD!cks you ill-advised and poorly implemented effing troll."

Comment

Nearly every school in the league has some serious financial concerns. We cannot all just write unlimited funding checks the way you assert your University can. With the new WCHA, the costs went up and the revenue went down for everyone. But hey, if everyone with financial concerns got to going buh bye, you'd be playing in the All Alaska Hockey League.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              Nearly every school in the league has some serious financial concerns. We cannot all just write unlimited funding checks the way you assert your University can. With the new WCHA, the costs went up and the revenue went down for everyone. But hey, if everyone with financial concerns got to going buh bye, you'd be playing in the All Alaska Hockey League.
                              Every single one of the WCHA teams not in Alaska could fold tomorrow and UAF and UAA would continue on without too much pain.

You are all concerned about your programs? Then fans of the state funded schools better get busy lobbying for better funding from the appropriate politicians. Fans of private school teams better get on their administrations to better fund them and/or hit the fund raising road. Why? Because the league cannot and is not going to butter your bread. No matter how many wishes and dreams or fantasies any of you have about new commishes bringing you fancy cheesecakes slathered with strawberries; it ain't gonna happen.

You are not wrong to consider the meager revenue potential that exists to be shared. And there's nothing wrong with maximizing the return to schools with whatever mechanisms make sense. It just isn't going to be much. That's life in the big city.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Having been to a few D-I Baseball regionals along with attending the SEC Tournament at Hoover Met several times, I can guarantee you that these are not non revenue sports.
                                So all 200 or so D1 baseball programs generate revenue? Is that your contention? That's a rhetorical question. I do not want an answer from you. I already know the answer. And with five minutes of research and exercising your gray matter you'll know the answer as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X