Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    That WCHA West - WCHA East thing may be an indication that there's an idea floating to merge with the NCHC. I wonder how they'd handle the Alaska schools: one in each division?

GFM
    I get the impression it's more an CCHA/WCHA breakup within the WCHA. The NCHC won't give up their autobid, but you could expand the WCHA to 14 teams, split 'em into an East/West and let it keep expanding. Could eventually lead into a WCHA/CCHA split (remember, BGSU retains the rights to the old CCHA).
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I wonder how they'd handle the Alaska schools: one in each division?

GFM
      Careful, they're likely to challenge you to a duel for that remark.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Careful, they're likely to challenge you to a duel for that remark.
        You whine incessantly about trolling ... then you troll.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          You whine incessantly about trolling ... then you troll.
          Only to bother you...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Incessantly? I think not. I just enjoy needling people who take the Internet, themselves, and the institutions with which they are associated far too seriously.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Only to bother you...
            Not really true, I'm known to take a swing at Old Pio and Priceless on occasion.

Comment

That WCHA West - WCHA East thing may be an indication that there's an idea floating to merge with the NCHC. I wonder how they'd handle the Alaska schools: one in each division?

GFM
              It's true that a few of the club teams associated with some of the bigger Pac 12 schools draw surprising well. This may also equate to a slightly deeper/stronger level of interest which may, I emphasize MAY, correlate to a greater chance that one of those schools might be convinced to try and add hockey. However, considering the amount of money required to make the jump, especially if they have to also add a women's program and/or build a facility, I'm still convinced (as I suggested in my prior post) this league's best chance for travel cost reduction is to add teams from the AHA and create two divisions that way.
              I commend the new commissioner in floating the idea of western expansion. It's something we've all hoped for and suggested as something worth pursuing by those with the ability to possibly influence those needing it. Still, if one is going to pursue a current Div. I school for expansion that's located in the "western" part of the league, my vote is still for Iowa St. Storied club program, lot's of space for a new facility, and, a current facility which could be easily expanded to seat 2,000 as a short term fix.
              I also appreciate the fact he's trying to be proactive to more potential changes within the conference landscape. Along with looking at ways to improve the play-offs. He was interviewed on KFAN's (Twin Cities') "Beyond the Pond" the Saturday after he was introduced and, in discussing possible changes to the play-offs, he even mentioned Duluth as a possible host city....

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
                It's true that a few of the club teams associated with some of the bigger Pac 12 schools draw surprising well. This may also equate to a slightly deeper/stronger level of interest which may, I emphasize MAY, correlate to a greater chance that one of those schools might be convinced to try and add hockey. However, considering the amount of money required to make the jump, especially if they have to also add a women's program and/or build a facility, I'm still convinced (as I suggested in my prior post) this league's best chance for travel cost reduction is to add teams from the AHA and create two divisions that way.
                I commend the new commissioner in floating the idea of western expansion. It's something we've all hoped for and suggested as something worth pursuing by those with the ability to possibly influence those needing it. Still, if one is going to pursue a current Div. I school for expansion that's located in the "western" part of the league, my vote is still for Iowa St. Storied club program, lot's of space for a new facility, and, a current facility which could be easily expanded to seat 2,000 as a short term fix.
                I also appreciate the fact he's trying to be proactive to more potential changes within the conference landscape. Along with looking at ways to improve the play-offs. He was interviewed on KFAN's (Twin Cities') "Beyond the Pond" the Saturday after he was introduced and, in discussing possible changes to the play-offs, he even mentioned Duluth as a possible host city....
                Duluth and Green Bay were both talked about previously, but Green Bay had scheduling problems and Duluth had objections from the arena's primary tenant.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Since the league meetings are now over, does anyone have a feel for how they went?
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Since the league meetings are now over, does anyone have a feel for how they went?
                    I haven't talked to our coaches. Depending on my schedule and theirs next week, I may drop anchor over there. I'll report back what I can when I do.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

http://www.grandforksherald.com/cont...in-murky-world

you can read into this article whatever you want, and the author has an axe to grind for sure. But what I read into it is, that the haves in college hockey do not like the parity that has come into hockey lately. (Of course they don't, they like winning.) I think the gentlemen's agreement is in deep trouble if teams start recruiting verbal players and it gets out that they do.

I'm also disappointed that over time isn't going to be at least 4x4.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        http://www.grandforksherald.com/cont...in-murky-world

you can read into this article whatever you want, and the author has an axe to grind for sure. But what I read into it is, that the haves in college hockey do not like the parity that has come into hockey lately. (Of course they don't, they like winning.) I think the gentlemen's agreement is in deep trouble if teams start recruiting verbal players and it gets out that they do.

I'm also disappointed that over time isn't going to be at least 4x4.
                        I don't think that Schlossman has an axe to grind. I think that he's reporting the story where it is. I'm surprised that the gentleman's agreement has lasted this long. I doubt that Lucia is going to hold to it, and I'm fairly sure that he won't be the only one.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

All I hear from Lucia in that article is a lot of whining about other schools having good recruiters. It seems that MN is enjoying plenty of success regardless. Maybe if he focused less on his weekly trips to the hair salon and put more effort into retaining recruits and current players, he wouldn't have a problem with decommits and early signings.

Comment

So I see in the schedule thread a BGSU fan posted their schedule with has BGSU/FSU back to back weekends on 2/6-7 and 2/13-14; the tentative FSU schedule had the 13/14 weekend in November.

If true though it creates a bit of what I'm assuming is a schedule oddity; Ferris will only play Minnesota St. and Bowling Green from January 16 through February 14.
                            Ferris State University - 2012 Frozen Four

Comment

Bemidji State associate head coach Bert Gilling steps down to become the head coach at Mount Royal University in Calgary.

http://beaverradionetwork.com/?p=3749

Comment

Ty Eigner ‏@TyEigner 25m
                                @collegehockey @chnews @USCHO Bowling Green will also continue to honor Gentlemen's Agreement.
                                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Working...
                                X