The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Based on what Donald has said about the scheduling agreement in the past, I think he's thinking we could do something like:

2015 Ohio State @ UAA Tourney
    2015 Michigan State @ UAF Tourney
    2015 Penn State @ Bowling Green
    2015 Northern Michigan @ Michigan

2016 Penn State @ UAA Tourney
    2016 Michigan @ UAF Tourney
    2016 Michigan State @ Michigan Tech
    2016 Lake Superior State @ Wisconsin

2017 Wisconsin @ UAA Tourney
    2017 Minnesota @ UAF Tourney
    2017 Alabama Huntsville @ Penn State
    2017 Michigan @ Lake Superior State

Obviously it is complicated to figure out, but that what these people are getting paid to do.

I'm thinking you leave out the Minnesota schools, since they seem happy with that arrangement. Or maybe Minnesota goes to Alaska for the tournament still, and then schedules something with another non-Minnesota WCHA team. I think the basic structure would be BIG 10 team goes to an Alaska tournament once every 2-3 years, and in exchange for that, they agree to a 1-1 agreement with another WCHA team, or a combination of WCHA teams. (Tech goes to Michigan, Michigan State goes to Northern; then the next year Northern goes to Michigan and State goes to Tech)

To clarify, I'm not saying it would work, but I agree with Donald that someone with the league should propose it and try to figure out the logistics. If it doesn't work, at least we can say we tried.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

NHL Central Scouting released their final rankings for the 2014 NHL Draft. Players committed to WCHA teams made the list:

124 Mark Friedman (BGSU)
      179 Evan Anderson (MTU)
      190 Brett Beauvais (BSU)
      205 Nikolas Koberstein (UA_)
      206 Hunter Warner (MSU)
      209 Marshall Donald (NMU)
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        How do you get the Big Ten schools to participate on an even basis?
        They LIKE going to Alaska. They see benefits for doing so (early season team bonding, unique experience for players), and if necessary you sweeten the pot by paying for some amount of their travel while subtly reminding them in the negotiations that they don't have to be invited to Alaska.

How do you insure everyone is on the same page for broadcast quality? .
        Rule #3.4.2.n.22 -- All member institutions will webcast in 1080P. (<--- or whatever the technical standard is called). Rules for the organization are implemented via league vote. So the commish's job is to get everyone on board.

Comment

It's official that Robertson is the commissioner. He starts in May, and Bruce retires in June.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I really see an uphill battle getting a Big Ten scheduling agreement. The Big Ten formed so they could basically dictate to college hockey.
            You say, "Yeah OK, you aren't interested. Thanks dear Overlord." Then you don't invite them to the thing that they like to get invited to and invite BC, BU etc instead.

Comment

Robertson looks like a smart hire, just what the WCHA needs.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                They LIKE going to Alaska. They see benefits for doing so (early season team bonding, unique experience for players), and if necessary you sweeten the pot by paying for some amount of their travel while subtly reminding them in the negotiations that they don't have to be invited to Alaska.

Rule #3.4.2.n.22 -- All member institutions will webcast in 1080P. (<--- or whatever the technical standard is called). Rules for the organization are implemented via league vote. So the commish's job is to get everyone on board.
                I can send you a number of comments on just how much Michigan State and Michigan "LIKED" coming to Alaska every year. So how will going to Alaska get them into Marquette, Houghton and the Soo on an even basis. They're going to go to Alaska and Marquette? Minnesota already has an agreement in which they make one trip each to Mankato and Bemidji in a four year period in exchange for each of those schools coming to the Cities for a tournament three times in four years in which they may not even be guaranteed a game against the Gophers. The last time I spoke with Tom Anastos and Red Berenson and members of their athletic departments (last March), there was very little interest in even trades of home games. There was even an idea floated for them to come and play one game in the Soo and one in Marquette in exchange for both LSSU & NMU to play a series in Ann Arbor. You can propose until you're blue in the face. Every coach among the seven Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio teams has done it. The best result may be the deals Michigan Tech has with it's GLI partners. Ohio State and BG may have an equitable arrangement. NMU has a 2 in Madison for 2 in Green Bay deal with Wisconsin that has 3 years left. But by and large, the Big Ten teams will pick and choose. And no matter how bad we want it, they aren't going to cave.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Makes sense.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

They LIKE going to Alaska. They see benefits for doing so (early season team bonding, unique experience for players)...
                    tOSU staff uttered those same words about traveling to NMU in October in the CCHA. They even went so far as to say they preferred to bus and instead of fly because of the team building experience.

There is no future NC dates scheduled between NMU and tOSU. Seems the fall color tour and team building bus ride just isn't motivation enough anymore.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      tOSU staff uttered those same words about traveling to NMU in October in the CCHA. They even went so far as to say they preferred to bus and instead of fly because of the team building experience.

There is no future NC dates scheduled between NMU and tOSU. Seems the fall color tour and team building bus ride just isn't motivation enough anymore.
                      It's what coaches tell the writers to paint a pretty picture.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        I can send you a number of comments on just how much Michigan State and Michigan "LIKED" coming to Alaska every year.
                        There appears to clearly be no way to ever satiate your hard-on for me. As evidenced by your text that I didn't bother to quote and won't bother to address.

Once again, here's how a forum works. I have my say. You have your say. Then you move along.

Here's how a forum turns into a useless exercise. I have my say. You ask a series of questions that you really don't want answered since it's just your way of attempting to marginalize the ideas presented. Then I waste my time explaining (again) how an exchange of ideas actually works on a forum like this.

You have no ideas; instead you only have crap to throw at people. I am now convinced you are a chimpanzee.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          There appears to clearly be no way to ever satiate your hard-on for me. As evidenced by your text that I didn't bother to quote and won't bother to address.

Once again, here's how a forum works. I have my say. You have your say. Then you move along.

Here's how a forum turns into a useless exercise. I have my say. You ask a series of questions that you really don't want answered since it's just your way of attempting to marginalize the ideas presented. Then I waste my time explaining (again) how an exchange of ideas actually works on a forum like this.

You have no ideas; instead you only have crap to throw at people. I am now convinced you are a chimpanzee.
                          When are you going to move along?
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I would love to see the WCHA band together and not agree to any 2 for 1 deals in NC play but its going to take more than those 10 teams get the B1G to stop doing it. First, you'd need to have enough games available with NCHC, ECAC, AHA to fill everyone's NC schedule and you'd probably need most of those conference members to join the WCHA in not agreeing to 2 for 1s or 1 for nones. I don't see it happening. Not agreeing to any 2 for 1s amongst the 10 WCHA teams would probably just lead to their NC options drying up as AHA teams take 1 for nones with the B1Gs, and for the most part...fans in Madison and East Lansing probably don't care if their team is facing Michigan Tech or Mercyhurst.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              Robertson looks like a smart hire, just what the WCHA needs.
                              Unfortunately, he has failed in his first day at a "media" task.

It would take someone with basic computer skills less than an hour to place the digital video from the press conference on the website for those people who weren't able to see the press conference live. Hopefully, someone is still working on that and it will be available later today.

Comment

If you all could please shut up and start talking about hockey again that would be great. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X