Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lewiston...your experiences, thoughts, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewiston...your experiences, thoughts, etc.

Just wondering of those who went to Lewiston as I did, how did you find the experience? How would you compare it to Lake Placid? I enjoyed the enthusiasm the locals had in hosting the tournament. The arena I thought was nice.
    I thought the town was a little boring. Not much to do in Lewiston. We wound up going to Portland to do the lighthouse tour. Where Placid has many attractions, you had to drive 25 miles to find other things to do here.
    Gotta say, the fried clams at the Chickadee were worth the trip.
    What did you like/not like about the weekend?
    Last edited by dhammond; 03-26-2014, 10:19 PM.

Re: Lewiston...your experiences, thoughts, etc.

Some thoughts:

My only previous Frozen Four experience was Lake Placid in 2008, so that's my only point of comparison and it was long enough ago that my memory is a little rusty.

The town of Lewiston was fine, but as you mentioned a bit boring. I would have preferred if there was some pubs or nightlife in walking distance of the arena, but unfortunately you really had to drive to get anywhere in town. That's my biggest complaint of Lewiston. Not very walkable at all and tough to get around without a car. My recollection of Lake Placid is that while it was small too, it was pretty centrally located on a single strip and there were shuttle buses for the Frozen Four to take you around town. That was nice. But all of this really wouldn't have been a big deal at all if there were just places to meet and eat closer to the arena.

The arena was fine, but obviously lacking the same kind of history as Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, so as a point of comparison Lake Placid wins again. I really wish some New England teams had made the semifinals so that the games would have been better attended, but you can't really hold that against Lewiston (though perhaps it's a strike against holding the Frozen Four in such a remote part of the country).

If I had to choose I would pick Lake Placid over Lewiston every time. The people in Lewiston were very nice so it's no slight against them, but I just think Lake Placid is a better location for a lot of reasons. Still, I got to cross a new town and a new arena off my list, so that was nice. I had a good time so no huge complaints.
    #OneKnight

Comment

My Top 10 list from Lewiston:
      10 -- Met up with several Oswego Fans, who I first met in Superior @ the 2007 FF. Their fans are very knowledgeable, similar to the fans @ Point.
      9 -- Having the Ntl Championship game highlights come over TV during the Post Game Celebration...great to relive it with the team and fans on hand.
      8 -- Thought it was a little wierd playing Point in the Championship game on Sat...felt like a home game @ the CC or on the road @ the Willett.
      7 -- SNC fan, formally known as 'Mr. Popcorn', will simpling be called 'Brown' from this time forward. There is a story with this..it will be retold many times on future SNC road trips.
      6 -- Visit to the impressive Sid Watson Arena on the campus of Bowdoin College...one of the nicest D3 arenas you will ever see..our group got a 30 minute tour from one of the asst hockey coaches.
      5 -- Over the weekend, more tales unfolded that will be retold and embellished upon in future years.
      4 -- It was great meeting the SNC fans and parents that were in attendance and sharing the winning experience with them.
      3 -- Watching the final 120 minutes in the careers of our senior class...this was a special group with their three Ntl Championships in four years.
      2 -- The Post Game Celebration....enough said...a good time was had by all!!
      1 -- When the final horn sounded, with players charging the ice with their sticks, helmets and gloves getting thrown into the air...the sweetest explosion you will ever witness as a hockey fan...getting onto the ice for pictures after the game was also pretty sweet..
      Last edited by pete99race; 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM.
      SNC Men:
      Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
      NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
      SNC Women:
      O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Well of course both trips are going to be very memorable for me! I did enjoy the Lake Placid area much better much more to do and a much better area. I did feel there were a lot more locals that showed up to watch the teams play in Lewiston though that was great to see.
        What a great team we had this season! Great job boys!
        Already can not wait for next season to get rolling!

Comment

Originally posted by goaliemom31 View Post
          Well of course both trips are going to be very memorable for me! I did enjoy the Lake Placid area much better much more to do and a much better area. I did feel there were a lot more locals that showed up to watch the teams play in Lewiston though that was great to see.
          What a great team we had this season! Great job boys!
          Already can not wait for next season to get rolling!
          Did you make him shave that awesome beard yet?
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Let's face it - we have all been spoiled by Lake Placid...the rink was nice enough, the town a bit of a dump and the logistics of the arena a couple miles from "town" in the midst of a residential neighborhood and some sketchy pockets didn't help. A couple of nice hotels - the rest were substandard at best - many folks were scrambling to find better accommodations and had to go all the way to Portland...this is no way to celebrate a D3 Championship IMO

Allow me to repeat myself - combine the men's and women's tournaments - Semis Friday as usual, Semis Saturday earl and late afternoon, Final Saturday night, Final Sunday afternoon...Lake Placid for your eastern venue and a Western venue in MN or WI....with an online media package to showcase the weekend....
            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
              Allow me to repeat myself - combine the men's and women's tournaments - Semis Friday as usual, Semis Saturday earl and late afternoon, Final Saturday night, Final Sunday afternoon...Lake Placid for your eastern venue and a Western venue in MN or WI....with an online media package to showcase the weekend....
              I have been saying this for four or five years but with a tweak.

Men's Semifinals on Friday
              Women's Semifinals on Saturday
              Both championship games on Sunday

Get the men's crowd there early and then you'll have a good portion of them attend the women's semis on Saturday. Then have both finals on Sunday.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

If you get a Plattsburgh, Middlebury or Norwich to have both teams there you've got a massive crowd on tap.

It just makes too much sense....
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

I'm pretty much on board with the general theme of the posts so far ...

The rink/arena itself was nice, but overall I like Herb Brooks' better (went in 2012 - apparently I'm good luck for SNC.) I thought the town was not great. Pretty sketchy neighborhoods and didn't seem like much to do other than just a few bars/restaurants, however the townspeople were nice, welcoming, and seemed into hosting the event.

Like KnightsOTR, I'd never take Lewiston over LP even if it had been in LP 10 straight years, but Lewiston did a solid job in my opinion and I had a good experience overall.

I think the conclusion last year was they were the only one to put in a bid - correct? Would Lewiston have any chance if they weren't running unopposed. I doubt it.
                Geneseo Ice Knights Color Commentator 2008 - 2009

Listen to GSU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Get the men's crowd there early and then you'll have a good portion of them attend the women's semis on Saturday. Then have both finals on Sunday.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

If you get a Plattsburgh, Middlebury or Norwich to have both teams there you've got a massive crowd on tap.

And have the Women's Championship before the Men's on Sunday.
                  Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                  2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

I'm in! Lake Placid would be about the only place that could handle this though? The teams arrive on Wednesday or Thursday? Then, you have to have the ice time available for eight teams to skate. With the three rinks, and an abundance of locker rooms, Lake Placid is ideal!
                    2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
                    2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
                    2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                    2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
                    2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                      And have the Women's Championship before the Men's on Sunday.
                      Correct.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

You know what's funny. Union coach in. ex Union coah at providence in, ex Union coach at Vt in, ex assist at RPI in.
                        Seth can't even get in to the ECAC at LP

Can you spell looser

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                          You know what's funny. Union coach in. ex Union coah at providence in, ex Union coach at Vt in, ex assist at RPI in.
                          Seth can't even get in to the ECAC at LP

Can you spell looser
                          your post makes no sense what-so-ever
                          http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

This is a 2 sided view of a great weekend of hockey. First let me say that I met a lot of really great fans from other schools. The rink was just OK. I was fortunate in that I found a decent hotel to stay at in Auburn and I really didn't mind the short trip to the rink. It was nice to explore some more of the country and experience some really good food. I hope others found the great little Italian bakery by the rink. While we were there a hook and ladder truck stopped to get donuts. That is the way to get donuts.
                            Negatives. Don't every hold the finals here again. What a pain in the arse to get to. It would have been nice to be told that once in the rink you couldn't leave. I didn't think I had to be treated like a baby by the NCAA (National Communistic Advancement of @@#holes). My girlfriend had to buy another ticket so she could to out and have a smoke. I also heard that someone else spent $60 on extra tickets so he could go have a smoke. What would happen if someone had to go out for meds? I have been to Placid 3 times and not once have I been told this nonsense. Also the concession stand really didn't cut it for those who were held against their will between games on Friday for food. This experience really makes me think twice to every attend an NCAA event.
                            It would have been a better experience if it was held in Utica. At lease getting to the area is a nice easy trip.
                            Oswego '88

Comment

First FF. Loved it. Stayed in Topsham/Brunswick at a B&B. It was great! 25 min drive to Lewiston. Enjoyed the scenery. The Brunswick area was very nice. Great shopping/dining. Not much of drinker so pubs weren't a priority for me. Androscoggin was decent. The only complaint was not being allowed out of the building. I'm not sure why. I suppose they were trying to avoid people walking out with multiple ticket stubs and coming back in with unticketed friends. A simple hand stamp could have solved that.

Comment

Working...
                              X